Durand, WI crossing the Chippewa River

xcr440

Can you ride across the Hwy 10 bridge by snowmobile? I see the trail comes up to it on both sides, but the map doesn't show the trail actually crossing the bridge. Or do you have to go up to the Corridor 35 trail out of Dunnville and cross the river there?

Any intel available out there?? Thanks in advance.

xcr440

Found a map that shows the trail crossing there on the bridge, but if anyone has any first hand info, that would be appreciated!

Cloverbear

Yes, you can cross the river over Hwy 10 bridge. There is a sidewalk on the South side of the bridge that they use for snowmobile trail. Not groomed and may not be able to pass if you meet someone, just wait. But it works, never really like trusting the river especially in moderate warm winters. No other way to cross the Chippewa River to the South. Yes you would have to go back to the North between Durand and Dunnville on Corridor 35 to cross river otherwise. One of my favorite places to ride in Wisconsin, when they get enough snow. Riding in Pepin & Buffalo counties is as close as you can get to out west without leaving the state. Also Pierce & Dunn are fun also. Hope this helps, have fun.

xcr440

Yes, you can cross the river over Hwy 10 bridge. There is a sidewalk on the South side of the bridge that they use for snowmobile trail. Not groomed and may not be able to pass if you meet someone, just wait. But it works, never really like trusting the river especially in moderate warm winters. No other way to cross the Chippewa River to the South. Yes you would have to go back to the North between Durand and Dunnville on Corridor 35 to cross river otherwise. One of my favorite places to ride in Wisconsin, when they get enough snow. Riding in Pepin & Buffalo counties is as close as you can get to out west without leaving the state. Also Pierce & Dunn are fun also. Hope this helps, have fun.

Perfect, thanks!

old abe

Absolutely agree with all of that!

old abe

If it is safe, and they are crossing the river on the ice, it will be just on the south side of the bridge in Durand from our previous experience. Always check with the locals who know if it is safe. We absolutely love this area!

Last edited:

xcr440

If it is safe, and they are crossing the river on the ice, it will be just on the south side of the bridge in Durand from our previous experience. Always check with the locals who know if it is safe. We absolutely love this area!

I’d rather not play the ‘If’ game, I have no problem roughing it across a bridge. I’ll be sure to update on Sunday when we head back to New Richmond on day 4 of the journey.

old abe

I’d rather not play the ‘If’ game, I have no problem roughing it across a bridge. I’ll be sure to update on Sunday when we head back to New Richmond on day 4 of the journey.

I'm with you on the "if" game. The only problem on the bridge is if meeting opposed direction sleds.

xcr440

To update, the bridge crossing was perfect, but yeah, it is one lane, make sure no one is coming before you enter the bridge. There were two sets of tracks to the south of the bridge on the river, but they went only 50 or so feet from a huge open water section!!

old abe

To update, the bridge crossing was perfect, but yeah, it is one lane, make sure no one is coming before you enter the bridge. There were two sets of tracks to the south of the bridge on the river, but they went only 50 or so feet from a huge open water section!!

That's not for me one bit! Bridge it!