Eagle River chain

Tuck

We are planning a trip to Eagle river chain of lakes this summer and looking on line it appears it is 14 miles long and not all that deep in some spots. Having never been there on the water before I am curious about what to expect as far as mark hazards, shallows, weeds/moss in the water, how wind blown lakes can get. average type and boat size running these waters. My reason for asking is wife wants to take the 24 ft fiberglass IO boat and of course I want to take the 16 ft outboard and i do not want to be "that guy" who brought too much boat from FIB land.

whitedust

Chain is very well marked from Eagle River to Three Lakes. There are bars and shallow areas in all the lakes up north but maps are available. Take any boat you want but I would opt for smaller boat or PWC until I knew the water. Pontoons are most popular but woodies , inboards, ios and every type of fishing boat. Locks to 3 lakes.

1fujifilm

We are planning a trip to Eagle river chain of lakes this summer and looking on line it appears it is 14 miles long and not all that deep in some spots. Having never been there on the water before I am curious about what to expect as far as mark hazards, shallows, weeds/moss in the water, how wind blown lakes can get. average type and boat size running these waters. My reason for asking is wife wants to take the 24 ft fiberglass IO boat and of course I want to take the 16 ft outboard and i do not want to be "that guy" who brought too much boat from FIB land.
Take the outboard or bring an extra prop.
24' V hull is too big, especially with an inboard.
Bear

wiharley02

Tuck, you will be fine. If you don't have something like a humminbird or lowrance with GPS lake maps (with depth contours) do what was recommended, get a set of maps. Or get the navionics app on your phone, at least something. I took my family up there a few years ago and took our 23' triple toon/275 hp. With a full tank of fuel and medium load she sits pretty deep in the water in the back. Saw numerous boats bigger. Plenty of folks up there have big wake board/wake surf boats. There are numerous channels that connect the various lakes, they are well marked and deep enough. When navigating channels at slow-no-wake speed with your 24 footer, trim the sterndrive up high. When cruising on the lakes, leave plenty of room when going around any points, there are some that have underwater ridges extending from the point. Eagle lake tends to get the choppiest with some breeze, cranberry after that as well. Not a problem for your boats. We took the well marked channel down to the burnt bridge rollway but did not utilize it to access the Three Lakes chain. Just went to see the lift.

pclark

Most of the pontoon boats are 24' these days so you should be fine either way. Not going to say that you won't get the look though.

Have fun, there is nothing like cruising on a chain of lakes.

Tuck

thank you gentlemen that is just the kind of information I was in search of about the area.
This limited access to the site is getting to be irritating.

Tuck

To say the least. Today is the first time I have been able to get back on since I posted the original question.