Eastern Upper Michigan Bike trip!

catguy

Hello, I'm planning a trip from Twin Cities MN to the Eastern UP in the beginning of August.

Plan is for:

Day 1 Ride from twin cities to Marquette. Nothing too exciting, focus is on getting there quick so we can enjoy the next 2 days more.

Day 2 ride from Marquette to Sault Ste Marie via H58/ 123. I'm curious if the full stretch of H58 is paved, I found an old thread from 2014 here saying that from Deer park to Grand Marais, that H58 is gravel, is this still true?
Also how much of Pictured rocks lakeshore can we see via bike? doesn't really look like road follows too closely to shore other than in Sullivan Landing area. I do have the UP cruising book for reference. Where is this Tunnel of trees road that I hear about every so often? Any restaurant or bar that you recommend? Will likely stop by HD dlr in Marquette and see if they have any recomendations as well.

Day 3 wake up in Sault Ste Marie, head south toward mackinac and then taking 2 to 35 and staying somewhere in Marinette Wi. I'd like to know if theres any must stop places along the way whether its a great scenic view, pub, etc.

Day 4 ride over to Docs HD in Shawano Wi, I've heard the place is quite a sight, lots to see with his own mueseum, etc. From there head for home, nothing else notable for this day.

I've been to the Keweenaw numerous times in summer and winter, but never been east of Watersmeet. Just looking for any advise on what/when to pull over and check something out.

People that have done this, did I pick reasonable distances for day 2 and 3? By google maps it looks like it should be an easy day of riding with time to pull over when you want. However I remember planning last years ride from Cody Wy to Billings Mo via cheif Joseph Hwy and Beartooth Hwy, thinking that there should be plenty of time for stopping, to find that later on it was an incredible day, but long!! Riding a fully loaded bike 2-up in the tight curves and in the high elevation probably contributed a bunch.

Thanks for your insight!

Grant Hoar

The Marinette to Doc's segment is not much more than an hour. Take your time at Doc's, it is an amazing place. If you get a chance to talk with him, add an hour to your time there; that man can talk. You have to eat there; it has the best barbeque I have had north of Texas.

JeffB

Catguy,
Seeing as it's early August, I'm late to the party. I apologize if you've already left. Yes, H58 is paved all the way from Munising to Grand Marais. One of, if not the best rides around here.
You'll have plenty of time on this day, as Marquette to the Sault is only about 3 hours, adding about an hour taking H58. From Grand Marais, you can take 77 back out to M28.
Day 3 will be a bit longer. The Tunnel of Trees is just below the Mackinaw Bridge. Its a nice ride, but a slow, really slow ride through some twisties along the L. Michigan shore line. You'll take the Petoskey exit and head towards Cross Village in the town of Levering. You'll come out in Harbor Springs and then shoot back up 75 to the Yoop. If you do this, you'll add a few hours to this day.
From Mackinaw, you can take US 2 along the L. Michigan shoreline all the way to Marinette. This is about a 3.5 hour ride. So, you can plan a full day if add M119 Tunnel of Trees to your plan.
As far as eats, The Bear Trap just outside of Munising on H58 is good, Lake Superior Brewery in Grand Marais, Legg's Inn is a good stop in Cross Village if you do decide on the Tunnel of Trees.
Day 3, Breezy Point Bar on 35 just outside of Escanaba is good, as is the Ford River Pub in Cedar River.
Doc's is an interesting place with a lot to see, and like stated, has good grub too!
Enjoy and Be Safe!

MZEMS2

Also considering a fall ride to the same area. Thanks for the info Jeff B. We'll be coming up from southern WI and making a loop. Haven't studied up much yet, but these are some good pointers.