Eben Ice Cave

dooforme

We are heading to AuTrain for Christmas and were looking for somewhere to explore. I have heard alot about this but the directions to get there by sled seem a little sketchy. Can someone give me some acurate directions to get there? Also, is there even enough ice to enjoy them this early in the season?

Steamer

Explore the Eben Ice Caves
by Jesse in BEST OF THE U.P., Marquette Area, Sightseeing

Looking down onto the Eben Ice Caves
The Rock River Canyon Ice Caves, much better known as the Eben Ice Caves, remain a mystery to many.

It seems that this cool little natural wonder of the Upper Peninsula isn’t frequented as much as it could be largely due to the fact that many people just aren’t quite sure how to get there. Well, I’ll cover the whole “how to get there” conundrum (from the North, from the South, sideways, backwards…etc.) in another post. Maybe I’ll even throw up a video. (I do have a link to a map below, though, so I’m not totally leaving you hangin’.)

For now, though, I’ll give you the basics.

The Eben Ice caves are part of the 4,000 plus acre Rock River Wilderness area of the Hiawatha National Forest. I’ve never visited the area during the summer (though I should, and so should you), but in the winter it’s a nice way to spend a morning or afternoon. Sixty-foot tall icicles are always cool.

If you’ve never been to the Eben Ice Caves, you’re experience will likely go something like this:

This was off of Google. I have been there 2 times. There is a bar called Moon something ?? They will give good directions. You can ride to the begining of the woods and then have to walk. TThis was off of Google. I have been there 2 times. There is a bar called Howling Moon something ?? They will give good directions. You can ride to the beginning of the woods and then have to walk. The walk is very dangerous and exhausting. Make sure you bring a long rope just in case. Leave as much gear as you can on the sleds you will need both hands.

Good luck.

renegade

Travel south on US 41 approximately twelve miles to M 94. You will make a left hand turn on M 94 and travel east towards Chatham, MI. Continue east on M 94 for approximately 12 miles to the small town of Eben and the junction of M 94 and Eben Road. The New Moon Bar is on your left and Superior Central Schools is on your right.
Make a left hand turn at the New Moon Bar and travel north to Frey Road, approximately one and one half miles and make a right hand turn onto Frey Road. Travel approximately one half mile east on Frey Road until you come to a curve. Park anywhere on the curve and lock your car. There are no signs telling you that you are there. Trust Me.

Found these Directions for car. Looks like a cool thing to see. I would check it out. Maybe the trail will get you to the New Moon Bar and you can get directions from there.

Yooper_Bob

Be aware that you have to hike a good 1/2 mile to get back to the caves. It is a moderately strenuous return hike (it's all up hill on the return). You'll be a sweaty mess if you hike all the way in and back wearing snowmobile gear.

Another good thing to have is some sort of traction devices on your feet (like yak-trax or ice trekkers). The trail can be very slippery, and getting up to the caves themselves can have you on your hands and knees.

We were there last winter, and saw numerous folks taking some pretty good spills.

cwl611

The snowmobile trail is right across the highway from the New Moon Bar. Be sure to stop in for some hydration. They even have three KBIC's on tap. Pick Ax Blond my favorite. Remember only one to keep safe on the trail.

megan600

I have some really great pics of the Eben ice caves I can share and save you the hike! Our group is in good shape, and I tell you its a hike with riding gear on. Cool to see once, but not something I will ever plan into our schedule again. We also did this right in the middle of the day and had a lot of riding to do after this. The hike had us sweating, which had our underlayers wet, which had us freezing by nights end. I ride alot and have never been so miserable. Thank goodness for Lakenenland and their fire to give us a brief warm up on our loop back to the motel.
Here is a group shot of the walk out..thsi is just on the "trail" in. We all had to make a chain of people to get up this slippery slope. This was one of about 3 places like that. As you can see if our other pics every one was whipped and peeling off clothes once we got there. I dont mean to discourage, but the fella at new moon bar told us it was an easy hike. Just want you to be aware of what you are getting into and to plan accordingly. P1140792.jpg

Attachments

• P1140790.jpg
    P1140790.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 82
  • P1140809copy.jpg
    P1140809copy.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 80
  • P1140791.jpg
    P1140791.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 79

Yooper_Bob

Part of the problem with you guys having cold/wet under layers, is that I see a lot of cotton sweatshirts being worn. Cotton is warm and fuzzy....as long as it stays dry. The minute itgets wet, you are cold (and it takes a heck of a long time to dry out).

Stick with polypropylene under layers, and even if you work up a sweat, you'll stay warmer. Plus, polypropylene dries out very quickly. A fleece is a much better layering garment than a cotton sweatshirt.

Of course, you guys probably already know all of this....

These work great for hiking in icy conditions: https://www.icetrekkers.com/

megan600

thanks for the info...but yep already aware of that. I wear a great base layer shirt that I had on under our sweatshirts. It was a group ride and we all got matching hoodys to thank our weekend "sponsor" hence the great deal of cotton you see. There were a few who didnt wear them, sweaty mess for everyone!! lol