Electric Shield or Open Face Helmet

Cat_man

Looking for input on full face/electric shield vs. open face helmets. Have a full face Cat helmet; which is nice but the shield ices up on me quite a bit. Bought an open face and did the goggles route for about five years. My dang head is too big and the open face doesn’t fit anymore. So I am going back and forth between replacing the shield on the full face with an electric one, or just buying a new open face. I am more-so curious about the electric shield reviews since I know what I am getting if I get a new open face.

Cat600

I got electric, it really nice. Arctic Cat TXI helmet. Only wish they would make a tinted one. But I make do.

Cat Woman

I've had really good luck with electric shields. Just be careful not to scratch them, they won't work anymore. I don't know how many years I rode without one, but one is too many, lol. They're definately worth the money and the open face look cool but IMHO not as warm.

Last edited:

jr37

My dad has used an electric shield for years and he likes his. Me myself, I like the goggles set-up.

i have a modular and an open. i use the open till about 0* any colder than that i use the modular. used to have an electric.

hamburgchf

Favorite son is right, I have used an electric shield for years and love it when needed, Until it gets quite cold I do not plug it in, but when you need it, it sure is nice to have

T

Team Elkhorn

Many years ago, when we still ran fan cooled sleds, we could defrost our shields with the warm air vents. When we started riding liquid cooled sleds we had to get the electric shields. I was hesitant at first because I thought the cord would drive me nuts, but I got used to it fast. Now I wont ride without one. I don't plug mine in until it gets cold, but its great to have when I need it. My wife and I even have electric shields on our mod helmets and use them all the time. I remember a few years ago on a club ride after dinner, we were riding back to the motel after dark. We had about ten sleds in the group. A light misty drizzle started to fall and froze to everything on contact. My wife and I, and the few others that had electric shields, plugged in and where good to go. But those who didn't, (and couldn't ride with their shields open), had to stop every few miles to get the ice off. That was the longest 20 miles that I can remember.
My son has both an open face helmet with goggles, and a helmet with an electric shield for when it gets cold. He says he likes the open face better, but he definitely uses the electric shield helmet more, especially if we're riding all day and into the night.

L

lenny

I prefer the electric shield because unless they are broke and that is rare, you can always see clearly. I have buddies with open face and goggles and 99% of the time they are fine but every so often in certain condition they are having to stop because of ice or fog. Either way works well but if you don't mind a cord, you will always be able to see.

Cat_man

XL

Maybe my mellon growing wasn't the best way to explain it. Bought it online (first mistake) based off my head measurements and it was an ok fit. After wearing it for the first season I realized I could probably use a larger helmet. Probably thought my head grew in the years after because it seemed like it got more uncomfortable/tight year after year until I stopped wearing it.

mvedepo

I have a large mellon. I wear a 509 helmet and Sinister googles. Best setup I have ever had. If you dont want the fancy graphics grab an AFX 17 and 509 googles (AFX makes the 509 helmet).

The helmet is $80 and goggles are $75. Add an HJC universal breathbox with the wings for $9 and you have an awesome setup!

parker

1+ For Electric Shield

You have to SEE ... to Ride.

Can't see when your vision is froze.

Won't ride without it.

Cat600

I would highly recommend it. Otherwise I'd imagine the inside of your shield would be all steamed up like a bathroom mirror... ???

Not really, I have never had a breath deflector. And the only time I got a foggy shield was when my cord for the electric shield broke at the base of the plug. I did however remove the little piece of mesh the helmet had by the chin to help air get out and to keep my chin from freezing to the helmet.

Electric shield is the way to go and would never go back without one, the cord is not a issue at all. You will not have to worry about fogging up or ice ever again, it is well worth the money. The last thing you need to woory about is fogging up after all the money you spend keeping warm and your gear and sled and oil and fuel its the best 60-70 bucks you will ever spend!!!!