Electrical issues

Walle31

I have a 2011 ski doo 600 etec. When i put the brake on the lights, brake light & instrument panel shut off. The sled keeps running. As soon as brake is released everything goes back on. Gauges reset like if starting the sled. The sled stays running fine the whole time.
Any thoughts? Can i run it?

snobuilder

Electrical problems are a PIA. Hopefully you recently did something that involved the wiring and that is the first place to look.

Check for a rubbed or bare wire under the seat....had alot of fun with this one winter, when a customer reported the same symtoms every time his wife got on to ride double with him LOL

pclark

I think you are on the right track with the wire that runs under the seat to the brake light or a bad switch. I had the same issue a few years ago on a Polaris.

Walle31

All I did was pull the light housing off tug on the wire a little. Couldn’t see anything. Replaced the bulb. Haven’t had a issue since then. Got about 400 miles since that.
So 🤞
That’s for the advice

goofy600

All I did was pull the light housing off tug on the wire a little. Couldn’t see anything. Replaced the bulb. Haven’t had a issue since then. Got about 400 miles since that.
So 🤞
That’s for the advice
So with that being to fix it makes you think that there is a nick in the wire jacket if that you moved away from what caused it so if or basically when it happens again trace the wire back and find the damage and make proper repair.

wiharley02

I had a 2014 Ski Doo Renegade 800 Etec Adrenaline (standard gauge package). I had some issues with mine. Though doesn't seem related to your brake light issue, wanted to throw this weird one out there.

My issue was the sled was running perfectly fine down the trail, and randomly the gauge cluster would go through a shutdown and startup sequence. The needles would fall to zero, and LCD display (fuel, odemeter, etc.) would go blank. Then all lights on the gauges would come on, needles would sweep through entire range, then everything back to normal operation except the handwarmers. If I remember right the handwarmers would not work after this gauge cluster "restart" until I stopped, turned the machine off, and restarted and took off again. The sled mechanically-wise wouldn't miss a beat when the gauges would do this "restart".

The issue was stray electrical current somewhere around the gauge cluster where it snaps into the dash. The factory solution/TSB is a "gauge grounding ring". It was a thin stamped piece of metal (might have been aluminum) that went around the perimeter of the gauge cluster before it snapped into the dash. It was hidden from view when installed, kind of like the shape of a gasket that was behind the outer edge of the gauge cluster bezel. The "ring" of metal had a 1/4" terminal spade on the edge and a female spade connector with a length of wire connected to the ring, and the wire went to battery ground. The ring/wire did not make any electrical connection to the gauge cluster, it was just a "halo" around the gauge body that rounded up stray electricity and sent it to ground. Never had the issue again after that in the few more years I owned the sled.

The Ski-Doo part number is 515177898. Again mine was a 2014 XS chassis, not sure if this fit the 2011 that might have been the XP chassis, not sure if the gauge cluster outer design is different.

And again maybe unrelated to your brake light/ground issue.

Attachments

• 515177898.jpg
    515177898.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 4