enclosed trailer spring assist cable "unsprung"

chadlyt

long story short, I have a spring assist on my enclosed sled trailer. I was cleaning it up and putting on new hardware when i removed one too many screws and the cable on the door side let go...and do i mean let go!

The problem i have now is the spring does not have tension. How do i go about loading the spring back up and getting the cable back on?

snowfish

Still have all your fingers? Now I don't have to tell you how dangerous this can be.

And it doesn't get much better. Here's a guide starting at item #6.

http://www.cargosystemsinc.net/install.html

Don't miss the part where the door needs to be Open when tensioning the torsion spring.

I'm not being your Mom, but you Can take an eye out! Or worse.

Be careful. Stay cool. Think it through before you proceed. Keep your face away from the tensioning rods.

If you're remotely uncomfortable, bring it to a dealership that sells enclosed trailers. Probably won't cost much to fix.

I'd only charge $30 or less. Depending on what was actually done.

chadlyt

yes, i have all my fingers. luckily i wasn't anywhere near the cable when it let lose. I'm not remotely uncomforable with it. I am completely uncomfortable with it :cool:.

I'll look around for a place to tackle this, thanks for the advice yet again snowfish.

fatdaddy

The garage guys always tell you about the massive injuries caused by do it yourselfers. All I know is when i needed new springs i called this guy to come out and look and they wanted $600, I said **** no and he went to half, I said **** no and i got it for $150.00. I watched him do the door hand it took him about 10-15 minutes for both springs. He did tell me you turn the spring one full rotation for every foot of door height so for a trailer I would say 5.5 full turns. I would do it myself if I were you, I'm sure youtube has some videos. I don't believe all the bad stories about garage door springs

harski

I had a local garage door guy do it for $50.00. That included time of both him and I taking off and reinstalling the enclosure too. I thought it was worth the $.

Harski

chadlyt

got it done! well, actually an uncle-in-law did it for me.

Happened to mention it one day and he said bring it over. 10 minutes max and it was all set. now i know what i'm doing after seeing it done. I would have hurt myself if i had tried it first.