Epic early condition

frontierfilms05

I finished my riding out in northern california last week. I can not say enough about the conditions out there. was in chest deep powder every day. The only thing to watch out for this early are the little humps in the snow and trees. they are like sink holes. nothing worse then digging for 2 hrs at elevation.

I rode for 3 days just outside of kirkwood. then wondered over north of the lake. I love that area for DEEEP technical riding. There's a great old shut down ski resort out there that is one of the few open place to climb in that area. otherwise its trees and more trees. enough with that.... pictures soon

Im currently in the Utah area between Alta and the Snowbirds. Snow condition here have been unreal. Utah does have some of the best snow!!! Its always fairly light and powdery. Its snowed e almost every day it seems like. I'll go track up some backcountry and the next day it's like no ones been there... it's waist to chest deep powder all day!!!!

If any one is questioning the condition hear ya go... the first one is a guy I past in cali that decided it would be a good idea to get to close to the tree.. the others are in Utah

Attachments

• +15.jpg
    +15.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 246
  • +16.jpg
    +16.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 232
  • +18.jpg
    +18.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 234
  • +14.jpg
    +14.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 245
can someone tell me the process of digging and getting going again in pic 4
Dig along the right side a little to free up the downhill side of the track/side of the machine. Pull/Turn the machine on it's tail and head out on the track you came from. I like the near vertical incline that snow machine is pointing!
There's also a way to use a snobunje cobra (sled to sled version) to pull the machine out (hint: it's not a straight pull) but it's easier to show than describe it here... a wise 'ol western sledder taught us this last year.

Last edited:

polarisrider1

Dig along the right side a little to free up the downhill side of the track/side of the machine. Pull/Turn the machine on it's tail and head out on the track you came from. I like the near vertical incline that snow machine is pointing!
There's also a way to use a snobunje cobra (sled to sled version) to pull the machine out (hint: it's not a straight pull) but it's easier to show than describe it here... a wise 'ol western sledder taught us this last year.

I even have a little better version to what you give. Suspect same guy showed me as you. Anyways Snobunje has a strap that you would put on your left ski spindle and under your right ski. you bring a sled down from the top aiming downward and at an anglr from your sled. hook the snobunge strap to your snobunje and the unstuck sled. have the down hill aiming sled (un stuck one) head down hill your sled will pivot in the hole around and not tip over because the strap is under the right ski and pulling on the left ski. The stuck rider stands on the left side of sled up past the pivor point yet close enough to grab some brake as to not hit the tow sled when your both aiming down hill. Are you following me on this still? Mtn. riding 101 class dismissed.

frontierfilms05

As to the first question about picture 4 in utah, that's one of my riding buddy's getting caught up in unsettled snow. happens a lot out west when they get big storm. the small humps I was warning people of earlier is exactly what happens in picture 4. It's a lot like a sink hole and if your not in it to win it your... well s.o.l. there are a ton of little trick and tips to getting them out. maybe all post a descriptive thread later on getting unstuck. We had him out of his mess in about 10 minutes or less. he got hassled for hours afterwards!

Picture number 1 is to funny. that's a local guy near kirkwood california that I've run into a lot in the backcountry from time to time. Any who in that picture it's put on your hard hat and glove it's work time. I caught up with later. him and his son dug it out 4 hours later!!! almost left it for spring he said