etec question

crskidoo

Bought a new 800 etec at the beginning of the season. I found out that they had a automatic break in period two to three tanks... bla bla anyway during break in the motor would feel like it was cutting out at the top end which I thought was the computers way of limiting power. Almost exactly at two tanks it stopped limiting power so I thought okay this thing is broke in. Jan 15 I opened it up for the first time for just a moment and hit a top speed of around 107 and pulled hard tell then. Now I have 1060 miles on and its doing the same thing. Runs great tell you punch it for about three seconds and then it falls on its face. Back off the throttle and give it any throttle at all and it runs fine. Here in eastern iowa we have tons of snow right now so im not talking tops speeds of much at all. Im just saying when i punch it in the powder for about four seconds at most depending on speed it wont keep pulling. changed belt not the issue. seems more like a computer thing to me. Any help would be great other wise its going to the dealer. thanks, Chris

Marty P

Rpm ?

I'm not sure about this but...what RPM are you pulling when it "cuts out"? I think if they pull over 8300 or 8400 (?) the CPU will shut them down...max RPM for 800 E-Tec is 8000 +/- 100... I know I turned my clickers down one from factory set-up to achieve this. Just a thought...

doo_dr

I'm not sure about this but...what RPM are you pulling when it "cuts out"? I think if they pull over 8300 or 8400 (?) the CPU will shut them down...max RPM for 800 E-Tec is 8000 +/- 100... I know I turned my clickers down one from factory set-up to achieve this. Just a thought...

x2
Turn clickers down at least two less and see if it goes away. These motors don't like over rev and with the Etec reacts much faster the CDI "R" motors. If that doesn't cure, run er till she's DEAD or bring it into the dealer to download the motor. FYI when they download the computer does not lie. It may not remember all of the truth but it does not lie. Its pretty neat. It stores running history of the motor.

crskidoo

x2
Turn clickers down at least two less and see if it goes away. These motors don't like over rev and with the Etec reacts much faster the CDI "R" motors. If that doesn't cure, run er till she's DEAD or bring it into the dealer to download the motor. FYI when they download the computer does not lie. It may not remember all of the truth but it does not lie. Its pretty neat. It stores running history of the motor.

Took it up to grant county yesterday to ride some groomed trails. I found out you guys are exactly right. It has great pull tell 60 miles per hour or so and then falls off. The problem is its over reving by then. Its runs straight to 8300 rpms and bounces back. How do I adjust the clickers? Glazing of the clutches? How do you unglaze them?

Marty P

In manual... drive pulley -

Three calibration screws all need to be set the same...

Loosen lock nut "just enough" to get calibration screw head out of the pulley and rotate to the new desired position. Do not completely remove lock nut.

Each position modifies RPM by about 200 RPM...lower position #'s decrease and higher of course increase.

Factory set at #3, try turning down to #2 or #1 depending a little bit on snow conditions etc.

Not hard at all, I keep a 10mm in my tool kit just for this adjustment.