Etec recall

crskidoo

I was reading through some other forums and I saw a post from Ezra stating that there will be a recall on the etec top end. Has anyone else heard this? What is the issue? Thinking I'm going to call the dealer Monday. Thanks for the info. Chris

polarisrider1

Can we have cold hard facts to back up hear say, it adds to the credibility of Johns web site. I see it is on every forum known to sledders. is this it? October 3, 2011 Subject:800R E-TEC Piston Replacement No. 2011-18

PROBLEM
Under severe mountain riding conditions, piston
ring locating pin may not meet durability requirements
and may fail leading to severe engine damage.

SOLUTION
Replace pistons with a new design ONLY if the
vehicle meets the following requirements:
– Vehicle used generally at an altitude of 1 200m
(4,000 ft) and above.
– Vehicle has reached 2 000km (1,200 mi).
NOTE: Pistons replacement is not required PRIOR
to stated mileage.

Campaign no.: 2012–0004
October 3, 2011 Subject:2012
Summit X RAVE Valve Components Rubbing on
Countershaft

PROBLEM
The RAVE valve hoses may be incorrectly routed
and the check valve manifold may be incorrectly
positioned. In such a case, parts will rub on the
countershaft resulting in RAVE malfunction.

SOLUTION
If needed, correct the RAVE valve hoses routing
and the check valve manifold position.
every chat room and forum out there so it must be true.

Last edited:

misty_pines

It is not a recall (not a safety issue), but rather a warranty bulletin or warranty campaign. This applies to 2011 800 e-tecs. The info posted above for Warranty Campaign 2011-18 is for sleds ridden at high elevation and is correct I believe.

The Warranty Campaign 2011-19 applies to 800 e-tecs ridden primarily below 4,000 ft. The reason for the bulletin according to BRP is that under certain riding conditions, the piston ring locating pins may not meet long term disability requirements and may fail leading to severe engine damage. BRP will replace pistons with a new design. This applies to 800 e-tec sleds once when they reach 3,125 miles and on sleds that are ridden generally at an altitude of 4,000 feet and below. Also, as part of this, BRP will also inspect the crankshaft PTO inner bearing and replace the crankshaft if defective. This warranty bulletin applies until October 2015. This does not apply to the 2012 models since they have improved components.

I obtained this information from dootalk and appears 100% legitimate.
I only have 1,000 miles on my e-tec, so I have a ways to go before this will apply to me.

Last edited: