F 1000 motor problems

paul vern

I have a 2007 F 1000 Cat, with 700 miles. In 15 below i took out both jugs and pistons. going 90mph and just died and pulled over stiff. It cooled then started and run fine,as long if you took it easy. Dealer thinks it might of run out of oil,but it used oil. any ideas.

jimfsr

You light siezed the motor. Oil has nothing to do with it. Fuel cools and lubes the piston, the oil is for the bearings. Most likely the rings are toast, or the exhaust side of the piston is burned off. Once it cools, the rings will break loose from the Nikasil plating. If your lucky, there was no alum transfer to the cyl. walls, if not, a little muratic acid and a deglaze should clean it up. New pistons, and gaskets and all should be fine.
At 15 below you are about 2 jet sizes leaner than at 20 above. Either re-jet or stay off the throttle when it gets that cold.

ezra

did it happen shortly after getting going like maybe t stat opened and let cold coolant in to the jug and shrunk jug around piston.or were you ridding for a long time and it just died.if you were ridding a long time were you in the mid range without allot of throttle varying just a steady 1 spot.some of the 1000 run lean in the mid range and with bulls eyes and not getting in to a lower or higher rpm that calls for more fuel would have deff been the prob need more info and picks. but if jugs are junk time to consider the 1200 kit my bud has one and it is a monster. he has been tuning on it for weeks finaly getting all that torque to the ice and the fr of the sled at least close to the ground

dvision

Could it be cause you are sooooooooooooooooooooooo fast. no-no-no. It is probably the snow gods getting even with you for getting such a good deal on your scooter at someone else's expense. Just think, you will be faster now cause you will be lighter(in the wallet).

G

G

Sure sounds like you stuck it. The EFI may not have been able to compensate for the bullseyes at that temp. Hopefully you will be able to get by with just rings.

paul vern

That's right i'll be real fast $1100 for jugs and pistons. IT was warmed up i think bullseys might have sometjind to do with it