F150 eco boost tune

shift08

I have a f150 with a eco boost engine ,thinking about getting a sct tuner or a different brand . I'm wondering if anyone on here has any real world experience with tuning the eco boost . Good or bad feedback .

Shany1

I have an eco boost (13 Taurus SHO) and purchased a Livernois tune and tuner (MyCalibr8or) purchased through them. I was in the area so I stopped in and had them install the tune on my car they asked if I had any additional modifications to the car (Cold air intake, thermostat, etc.) before finalizing my tune (while I waited). I have been impressed with their tune. The car drives like stock when not mashing the gas (slightly firmer shifts) and has much more power (my SHO ran 12.9 at the strip this summer) when you mash the pedal. I have put on 20K miles since adding the tune with no ill effects. Also, every time they update the tune for my car they will email me the updated tune for free (I have had two updates since my purchase). Good luck with you decision, I think that you will be happy with you decision to add a tune to the eco boost.

Last edited:

nytro_rtx

I have an eco boost (13 Taurus SHO) and purchased a Livernois tune and tuner (MyCalibr8or) purchased through them. I was in the area so I stopped in and had them install the tune on my car they asked if I had any additional modifications to the car (Cold air intake, thermostat, etc.) before finalizing my tune (while I waited). I have been impressed with their tune. The car drives like stock when not mashing the gas (slightly firmer shifts) and has much more power (my SHO ran 12.9 at the strip this summer) when you mash the pedal. I have put on 20K miles since adding the tune with no ill effects. Also, every time they update the tune for my car they will email me the updated tune for free (I have had two updates since my purchase). Good luck with you decision, I think that you will be happy with you decision to add a tune to the eco boost.

Great info., I'm thinking about a tune from Livernois on my '15 Explorer Sport. Any idea how much power you're making or how much it added?
Thanks

Shany1

I am not sure as to the exact power (to the wheel) that I was making due (before or after the tune was installed) to the fact that my car was not on the Dyno for the tune. When I was in there shop they showed me the AWD Dyno that is used in developing their tunes, etc. He did mention that stock the AWD Eco Boost vehicles have a very large drive train loss (I thought I was told that they had around 265 WHP). I can tell you that there was a significant change in power after the tune (my car squeals the tires from a dead stop post tune and the 1/4 mile time I turned for a non performance pack SHO). I have had the tune on my car for two years now and as previously mentioned they have revised the tune a couple times not sure on what impact that had on horsepower, if any? It may be best to just call them and ask for specific power numbers as I am sure they can give you a better idea.

nytro_rtx

I am not sure as to the exact power (to the wheel) that I was making due (before or after the tune was installed) to the fact that my car was not on the Dyno for the tune. When I was in there shop they showed me the AWD Dyno that is used in developing their tunes, etc. He did mention that stock the AWD Eco Boost vehicles have a very large drive train loss (I thought I was told that they had around 265 WHP). I can tell you that there was a significant change in power after the tune (my car squeals the tires from a dead stop post tune and the 1/4 mile time I turned for a non performance pack SHO). I have had the tune on my car for two years now and as previously mentioned they have revised the tune a couple times not sure on what impact that had on horsepower, if any? It may be best to just call them and ask for specific power numbers as I am sure they can give you a better idea.

Thanks again!! I will contact them when I'm ready, I was just curious if you had any idea about where it was.
Mark

Shany1

Thanks again!! I will contact them when I'm ready, I was just curious if you had any idea about where it was.
Mark

No problem glad I was able to offer some insight. I do not think that you will have any regrets it is one of the best horsepower per dollar investments you can make (in my opinion).

mjkaliszak

I have a Superchips flashpaq in my 14 platinum eco. Pretty good CS support & techline. The F150 eco's have different gearing in the different platforms.
Tires & rear end gears do make a difference, the tune level , ect....( my budd thas the same tuner & truck & motor but on the FXSport platform, it will break them loose coming out of the hole and chirp them in the downshift.... ) can effect the performance from vehicle to vehicle.
Mine will not + I have different tires & rims... never the less it will remove all doubt when lining up with another F150 at a traffic light and " goating " them into a race.....
I currently have the " fuel effeciency " tune loaded in mine.. It's a little better.

One thing for sure, If I have to " blow someone's doors in " at 70 on the highway... it will .
The eco's are so under tuned from the OEM ... there is alot of room for adjustment.

shift08

My f150 has the max tow package with 3.73 gears . It is pretty good in stock form but would like more performance and better mileage towing . I am worried about any warranty work and being denied by ford if it needs work.

Shany1

My f150 has the max tow package with 3.73 gears . It is pretty good in stock form but would like more performance and better mileage towing . I am worried about any warranty work and being denied by ford if it needs work.

I had the same concerns with my car. I tuned it with less than 2K miles on it and was worried about any warranty work being done. At the time I did a lot of research and determined that any failure that was related to an aftermarket product may not be covered under warranty. It is the dealers burden to show that the modification you did caused the said failure. Also, I was told that with the tune I installed that it leaves no watermark. In other words, if I return it to stock it will only show that someone had plugged in to the OBD2 system but not show what was actually done (I.E. the tune). However, I would assume that if you had a catastrophic failure the dealer (from my research the scrutiny often varies dealer to dealer) may be inclined to look closely at what caused the failure. Keep in mind the dealer often does not need to plug into the OBD2 for warranty work (depending on the repair). That being said I have had my vehicle into the dealer for warranty work etc. and have never been asked a question.

scoobydoo

I have an sct tuner with 5 star tunes on it. 13 eco boost with 4 10 gears and it puts a pretty big smile on my face. ive only run the 91 octane tune that is safe for trailing. there is a 93 and 91 performance only I haven't tried yet.. Only thing I don't like about my truck is the wheel hop I get when you lay into it. definitely gonna b putting u joints in it someday. 5 star has several tunes too choice from which is kinda nice.