Fall colors this weekend?

packerlandrider

Drove to Marquette and back yesterday. Colors are near peak (probably 4-6 days away) from Alberta through Three Lakes, Michigamme and Champion. Colors in the Houghton/Hancock north to Mohawk still at least 8-12 days away (the further north you go, the less changed), but are changing fast now.

-John

Made the same trip (only to Munising). Some of the views across the lakes in Three Lakes, Michigamme, and Negaunee were amazing, water was perfectly still and great color in the trees across the lake. Will try to remember to get a picture looking across Ford Lake here at Alberta sometime this weekend.

revx6002003

That realy sucks that they cancelled the chair lift rides at Mt. Bohemia, wanted to try that out. Still plenty of other places to go, and no matter what it is always nice to be up there. Going up on sunday.

sp123

was up in keweenaw today north of calumet today honesly certain areas up there are nearing peak, but pretty much the next week things will be nearing peak. this weekend 29th 30th will be alright but the weekend of 6th 7th should be the best weekend for colors. if we dont hit peak by than but i would say 5-7 days alot of areas will be at peak in keweenaw

Last edited:

skiroule

Took these heading out of Lac La Belle and on the big lake on Thursday. The pictures don’t really do justice to the scenery. Peak or not, it is spectacular up there right now. The Maples are amazing.

LLB_2.jpg LLB_1.jpg

Kwikgren: Nice ski assortment!

MZEMS2

I don't know if it's peak yet, but out around the Miss River is awesome right now.....(Prairie Du Chien area) Rode the bike out there for a 240 mile ride today.....beautiful day!!

kwikgren

017.jpg 036.jpg 046.jpg

Colors are getting better by the minute, and rapidly approaching peak. If you're waiting for those white pine to turn, it could be a long wait. Although even some of the pines are turning yellow and shedding needles. The last colors left will be the green and gold of the spruce and tamarack, after the rest have fallen.

frnash

The Foliage Network

Nothing beats reports from folks that are actually living in the area, but short of that, and just for an overall view, check out the (click →) Foliage Network. Here's their latest report on (click →) the midwest region. Their reports are posted each Wednesday and Saturday from September through the end of the color season. In past years, I have found their reports to be quite helpful for planning purposes.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Nothing beats reports from folks that are actually living in the area...

I am working on my journal right now and it has 23 pictures in it, many from my travels in the colors this week.

-John

radsrh

Beautiful day for a fall color ride $45 for gas, free Turkey for Thanksgiving $0, calling the insurance man to get jeep fixed priceless.

L

lenny

took the camera with today and snapped a few pics

Attachments

• fall 003.jpg
    fall 003.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 28
  • fall 008.jpg
    fall 008.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 26
  • fall 014.jpg
    fall 014.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 27

whitedust

Still good color in Phelps,WI but maples went from golden yellow & reds to brown all the iron woods are brown changing really fast now! Must have been the nightly frost biting them. Popples & tamaracks last to turn so still some yellow to come. Strong wind or rain & leaves will be flying. IMO This weekend was peak with bright sun & mid 60s. :)

kwikgren

026.jpg 020.jpg 011.jpg 010.jpg 003.jpg

I go out to take color shots this morning and this red squirrel gives me the evil eye and starts scolding me, so I'm thinking, "You unappreciative little varmint!", "Do you realize that a 10# bag of sunflower seeds at $9.97 costs about the same as a 6 pack of Two Hearted Ale?" Then I'm thinking that squirrel might taste good with a Two Hearted or maybe that bottle of chianti I've been saving.

Polarice

I was at the cabin in the West Hiawatha from 9/21-9/28. I was amazed at how much it changed from Friday to Friday. We could really see major changes to leaves already turning red.

sp123

i think peak here in keweenaw calumet north is probably 4 or 5 days away but the best for viewing colors will be probably be tommrow and thursday becuase its looks like its going to get windy. I think the colors this weekend will be at peak but some of the trees will have lost alot of there leaves becuase of the wind. still worth seeing though this wkd

Bradzoo

We did a complete Loop of the Yoop Thur. thru yesterday on the bike, eastern UP 75%, Crystal Falls area close to peak, Wakefield close to peak, Lake of the Clouds 75-80%, Keweenaw 60-75%, Marquette-Munising 60-75%, Newberry-Paradise 75%
facebook_-2124124164 (3).jpg
facebook_2126922106 (3).jpg
facebook_-1364690011.jpg