Fat Biking in the UP

blizzardmk

Kicking myself for not jumping on that Surely deal they put out.
Our local club in IN has a groomer and Rokon now, the weather hasn't cooperated enough for them to get that nice hard pack for more than a few days...

Yeah, Surly had some great prices. Wish I could afford to upgrade as well.

Those Rokons are really cool machines. Looks like they would work great in an area that doesn't get a ton of snow. Strange winter with the big El Nino, hopefully you'll get some consistent cold and snow.

snobuilder

I can agree with that. Purpose-built trails are a lot safer. They're also a lot more fun to ride. I got into grooming for snow bikes because the wide and flat ski trails in our area aren't that exciting to ride. We groom some really narrow, twisty, and hilly trails that are a blast to ride on a bike.

Do you groom with a utility sled like a Bearcat? I've seen them with drags at the snow shows.

blizzardmk

Do you groom with a utility sled like a Bearcat? I've seen them with drags at the snow shows.

Using a 2003 Ski-Doo Summit 600 right now. It does ok, but has cooling issues when the snow is hard, and isn't geared low enough. We're working on raising money to eventually buy a dedicated grooming sled. We've looked at the Bearcat 3000 LT, Ski-Doo Skandics, and Tundras. We need something that can pull a moderate load, go through deep snow, and be nimble enough for twisty and hilly trails. Some of the big utility sleds would be overkill for what we're doing.

rtrypwr

My wife and I ended up renting fat bikes this weekend and discovered the WinMan trails in Winchester open for fat biking snowshoeing and xc skiing...all were groomed and in excellent shape. Quite a few other folks around and it's right off the snowmobile trail. I'm definitely heading back this summer for mtn biking as the trails were a blast!!

blizzardmk

My wife and I ended up renting fat bikes this weekend and discovered the WinMan trails in Winchester open for fat biking snowshoeing and xc skiing...all were groomed and in excellent shape. Quite a few other folks around and it's right off the snowmobile trail. I'm definitely heading back this summer for mtn biking as the trails were a blast!!

Awesome! Where did you rent from?