February 2, 2024

pclark

Its groundhogs day today, was watching national news from Gobblers Knob, PA. Puxatawny Phil said early spring for whatever that means.
Here in the Northwoods the 7 day long term forecast is for temps in the 40's and sunshine, as you te sun is higher in the sky in the months to follow so it is burning brighter.

We have about 2-3' of snow on the ground here in Manitowish Waters, it will be gone by Sunday if the weather forecast is true.

After the current 7 day it appears to be the 30's the next 7 days so not a good forecast if you love snow. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.....

whitedust

Have Eagle River sled rental reserved for 3/11. Hope is fading..
That’s a bad idea in a good season lol. Usually ER is starting their adventure riding descriptions which means evil sun burn thru ,lots of snirt , bare parking lots and roads burnt down. Yeah it’s usually warm but trails on the cusp of closure. Why so late?

rev07

Whitedust-my crew has been riding the ER area in late February or early/mid March for many years. If fact some of my best riding/conditions were found in March. Our considerations:
-many riders are done or winding down for season so less traffic.
-less likely brutally cold in March.
-More daylight-prefer night drinking, not riding and certainly not both together.

whitedust

Whitedust-my crew has been riding the ER area in late February or early/mid March for many years. If fact some of my best riding/conditions were found in March. Our considerations:
-many riders are done or winding down for season so less traffic.
-less likely brutally cold in March.
-More daylight-prefer night drinking, not riding and certainly not both together.
Yep all that and more. February usually is fine but I didn’t make it much past first week of March in 16 years of living there. Then it was best to head south be somewhere else anywhere better than Vilas mud thaw and my restaurant’s started closing too as soon as trails closed.

hermie

Yep all that and more. February usually is fine but I didn’t make it much past first week of March in 16 years of living there. Then it was best to head south be somewhere else anywhere better than Vilas mud thaw and my restaurant’s started closing too as soon as trails closed.
I will have to say last year the trails were phenomenal in March. Some of the best riding last season. Most of last season was excellent. We rode on March 31st last year and it was really nice but that is a rare occasion riding the last day of March in Vilas. Most of the last week in March last year we rode around Gogebic and the trails were fantastic. Awesome job by Gogebic groomers. They were out every night. We tried to go April 1st for one last ride but we got snowed in.