first bear of 2021

rtrypwr

that's awesome!! We've seen more and more bears each year, until the neighbors did some pine forest select cutting last summer. It kicked them all out, but hoping they'll be back as the spring continues on

mrbb

well I am now up to 3, two males and a female, two 2+ yr olds and a 3+ yr old, the older one I nicknamed TROUBLE MAKER, as he was also an orphaned bear and when ever he was here with other bears, he was always trying to start trouble with them, has a chip on his shoulder thinking any bear smaller than him he can bully about at will, and a over curiosity mind set, likes flipping things over like logs, trash can.s railroad ties I have in yard for no reason other then I think he likes to see if he can pick things up and or flip em over

never looking for food under things, just likes moving bigger things , that or he likes to see me put them back in place HAHA!

any how, now up o 3 for this spring time, all younger one's, none of my older one's have shown up yet, I know I lost a bunch of them to hunters last yr, but should be a few left!

The Two males here last night they brought me a jacket I left down back at a burn pile(cut down a bunch ot tree's and stacked up up to burn, since it rained yesterday, I took advantage to light pile on fire, but as day went on rains slowed, I took off my jacket and left it down back by accident, so, they brought me the jacket up and left it on my deck for me to find this morning, HAHA!
the one orphaned male, slept on /hung out on deck for about 3.5 hours next to it.

there like my watch dogs, security system I think some days!

OH well a few pic's for you's!

Attachments

• WGI_0341.jpg
    WGI_0341.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 18
  • WGI_0337.jpg
    WGI_0337.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 22
  • WGI_0336.jpg
    WGI_0336.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 15
  • WGI_0335.jpg
    WGI_0335.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 22
  • WGI_0321.jpg
    WGI_0321.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 24
  • WGI_0308.jpg
    WGI_0308.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

mrbb

a couple more for you's ??
this time of yr not much food about, so coming up on deck for few fallen bird seeds is a very common, as things green up with spring time, they will show up less and less often, plus mating season will kick in in a few weeks, and these two young males will be racking up some miles looking for love , , they was eye balling the little girl bear here last night, and she was keeping her distance from them, I think she could see the upcoming trouble in there eye's looking at her!

Attachments

• WGI_0366.jpg
    WGI_0366.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 16
  • WGI_0397.jpg
    WGI_0397.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 14
  • WGI_0399.jpg
    WGI_0399.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 13
  • WGI_0417.jpg
    WGI_0417.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 9
  • WGI_0420.jpg
    WGI_0420.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

snomoman

I guess at this time of the year they only come by at night, I’m assuming you will have daytime shots in color in the future maybe, I guess I’m kind of spoiled looking at pictures from last year...ha ha

mrbb

I guess at this time of the year they only come by at night, I’m assuming you will have daytime shots in color in the future maybe, I guess I’m kind of spoiled looking at pictures from last year...ha ha
well, I do get bears here in day time, not a lot, due to a lot of folks here are all on cleaning up after winter time and out and about there yards running mowers, and chain saws and such(lots of folks still not working with the corona too it seems , so ATV's are about a lot lately)
so, bears are better off staying nocturnal, less folks see em, less they know LOL

lots of folks here Love the bears as I do, but a few don't and they like to complain to local warden(he thinks its kind of funny, as they live where bears live, so its part of life, complain all you want, bears will be here)

I also typically shut my camera off at the door in day time, due to I
m in and out of house a lot too when weather is nice, so, no point in taking extra pic's and running battery's down more than needed!
but here is one for you off deck cam
I am sure there are some on cam's down back, just haven't checked them in a little bit!, maybe tomorrow I will

Attachments

• WGI_0291_LI (2).jpg
    WGI_0291_LI (2).jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 35

mrbb

well number 4 showed up last night, a 3 yr old female<br><br>
<br><br>
<br><br>
checked other cam's but no day time pic's on any, two of my cams, were not turned on, apparently I forgot tot turn on after last time checking camera's, so, that didn;t help me any!<br><br>
<br><br>
<br><br>
darn memory gets worse every yr I swear! LOL<br><br>
<br><br>
<br><br>
<br><br>
<br><br>
<br><br>
but here are a few any how

Attachments

• WGI_0001.jpg
    WGI_0001.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 30
  • WGI_0022.jpg
    WGI_0022.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 27
  • WGI_0026.jpg
    WGI_0026.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 25
  • WGI_0071 (1).jpg
    WGI_0071 (1).jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 24
  • WGI_0100.jpg
    WGI_0100.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 25
  • WGI_0053 (2).jpg
    WGI_0053 (2).jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

mrbb

She looks very healthy for just coming out of her winter nap.
<br>
<br>due to a lot of easy food here ( behind me is about a 100+ acres of local hunting clubs food plots , and then below them are a lot of farm fields)<br><br>So, almost all bears here have above average weights for the state, Bears here actually have it  really good, or maybe should say HAD IT, as, for past decade or so, very few club members hunted them, due to we used to only have a 3 day bears hunting season and few bought a  tag  with such short season,, NOW< we have a 30+ day bear season here, so more members and hunters in general buy a bear tag now, due to extended season  now)<br><br> so many bears going into winter above average weights, some are just plain FAT to be honest! before winter sleep!<br> <br>add in<br>  so many mild winters anymore, ,  and most bears here tend to look pretty good coming out after sleeping thru winter! <br><br>PA. in general , has the fattest bears in the world, when you go by age to weight, bears in PA< tend to add weight faster than any where else,  for what ever reasons, Bears in PA< get fat faster than else where LOL<br><br>

mrbb

a little wrestling here last night, these two were going at it from front yard to back , on deck, and away they went<br><br>
then the Raccoons seemed to join in on the games of bite each other LOL

Attachments

• WGI_0173 (1).jpg
    WGI_0173 (1).jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 27
  • WGI_0176.jpg
    WGI_0176.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 24
  • WGI_0177.jpg
    WGI_0177.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 27
  • WGI_0178.jpg
    WGI_0178.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 24
  • WGI_0179.jpg
    WGI_0179.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 32
  • WGI_0155.jpg
    WGI_0155.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 32
  • WGI_0163.jpg
    WGI_0163.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 26

Wiscon1

Great photos and thanks for sharing. I noticed you are using a Wildgame Innovation game camera to capture these great photos. I have this same camera but am having issues with my SD Card. Can you tell me which card you use and where did you buy it? The one I bought it shows an error message when I insert it and I was told it might not be compatible to that camera. I appreciate the help.

mrbb

Great photos and thanks for sharing. I noticed you are using a Wildgame Innovation game camera to capture these great photos. I have this same camera but am having issues with my SD Card. Can you tell me which card you use and where did you buy it? The one I bought it shows an error message when I insert it and I was told it might not be compatible to that camera. I appreciate the help.
<br>
 over the past 20+ yrs I have used a lot of different brand trail camera's from high end costing one's to these lower end cheap one(te ones in pic's above I paid 40 bucks for and they came with a SD card and batteries! )<br><br>
trail cams can be picky from one to another of the same brand and model,<br>some times there great some times they suck, on all but the highest end models!<br><br>from my experience, with using SD cards, I have always had good luck with<br>SanDisk SD class 4 Flash memory cards SDHC for camera's<br>I used to only use the 4 GB ones, as I seldom ever use the video feature on camera;s and they used to be the cheapest to buy in bulk<br><br> but lately I been getting 8 GB one's for cheap off Ebay(like 2-3 bucks a card or less if I buy 5-10 at a time),<br> one trick I found that has saved me a lot of problems and seems to make camera's last a lot longer is, ALWAYS use the same SD card or cards in the same camera<br><br>Typically what I do on any camera that is far from me or house, I buy 2 SD cards and dedicate them to JUST that camera, I will number the Camera and the cards to it, so not to get them confused, as I have a bunch of camera's<br><br> when you swap SD cards from one camera to another and mix them up, I have found  that many of my camera's start acting up and  don't last as long as one's I always use the same SD card in<br> or SD cards in<br><br>seems mixing them causes them to get dumb at times and then camera;'s just fail faster<br><br>on these Wildgame  innovation camera's I am using now in my yard, they typically last me about 3 yrs, running 24/7/365, and many camera's get 1,000-2000 pic's a week pending location, I will also get about 15,000-20000 pictures out of a set of batteries as well, for 40 bucks they been the best camera's I found in this price range, but cannot find any more for sale, or I would buy a  few more LOL<br><br>I have had ZERO luck with any STEALTH camera, every time I buy one, they worked poorly if at all, and never lasted long before getting worse,<br> every time I buy I one I swear will never buy again, , then a  yr or so later will see one on the cheap, and say, OK< maybe NOW there better, and  soon get reminded why I say NOT to buy anymore , bought one last DEC, and wish I didn;t wasted 60 bucks on it, all it does is take pic's non stop for an hour or two then stop then start all over again, get a few thousand pic's every faw days of NOTHING on 99% of them, or captures things by accident<br><br> I leave will leave it run till batteries die and then trash it<br> Pic quality is also poor to the other cam's I have, its rated for higher resolution and Megapixel's , which is disappointing too, as its not as good as the cheaper camera's in pic quality even<br><h4 style="line-height: 20px; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); margin: 0px 0px 0px 5px; font-size: 1.143em; padding: 0px 0px 4px; border: 0px; box-sizing: border-box; overflow-wrap: break-word; font-family: HelveticaNeue-Light, "Helvetica Neue Light", "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, "Lucida Grande", sans-serif !important;"><br></h4>I run Energizer lithium batteries too, which I also buy off ebay, seem to be the cheapest I can find if again buy in bulk, I can typically buy 10 or more for what local Wally world charges for 2!<br> amazing how some folks can sell things so cheap? and as far as I can tell there REAL and NOT counterfeit, or they sure last a long time and  if so, I am happy~! <br><h4 style="line-height: 20px; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); margin: 0px 0px 0px 5px; font-size: 1.143em; padding: 0px 0px 4px; border: 0px; box-sizing: border-box; overflow-wrap: break-word; font-family: HelveticaNeue-Light, "Helvetica Neue Light", "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, "Lucida Grande", sans-serif !important;"> </h4><br>

mrbb

well bear # 5 showed up, another female,   a 4.5 yr old one, she had 2 cubs last yr but lost both by July,(sadly I seen her kill one by accident , and not sure what happened to the other one)<br> I seen her mate in Aug, and expected her to have cubs again this yr<br> but it seems something went wrong there as NO cubs with her<br>shoul;d have some pic;'s tomorrow for you's<br> and she was here in DAY time, so should be day time pic's!

mrbb

well checked camera's today, and NOT sure what happened to day time pic's as I seen the one female laying in front of camera for 20+ minutes in middle of afternoon yesterday, yet ZERO pic's of that??

guess camera is starting to go bad, , its 3+ yrs old now, and thats about when they start to fail on me??

but here are a few pic's for you of the new 5th bear a female, she has a white # 11 on her chest, and then a smaller male, you can see the BIG tick in its ear, they get loaded with them here any more, 15 yrs ago, zero ticks here but so many mild winters anymore and there now here all the time!, and then also a pic iof my NEW neighbors and there great dane they let run loose, they also don't like bears LOL

the dog was here other nit at midnight chasing bears up my tree's, dogs asking for issue if it find a bear with cubs?/ never got why folks let there dogs run wild?? feel bad for the dog and poor parents for it!

Attachments

• WGI_0001 (4).jpg
    WGI_0001 (4).jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 15
  • WGI_0002 (4).jpg
    WGI_0002 (4).jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 17
  • WGI_0003 (3).jpg
    WGI_0003 (3).jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 18
  • WGI_0020 (3).jpg
    WGI_0020 (3).jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 19
  • WGI_0067 (3).jpg
    WGI_0067 (3).jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 19
  • WGI_0098 (1).jpg
    WGI_0098 (1).jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 19

mrbb

and then will throw this in in case anyone caress to see
but used to have a large cherry tree next to a small food plot where this cam sits
the Cherry tree was about a 100 yrs old and over the past decade been dying, the pines behind it grew too tall I think and didn;t allow enough sun light to get to it
and it slowly died on me , and by the time I noticed it, it was already too far into its system to save it or might have tried topping the pines to save it/get it more sun light!

any how, I decided it was time to knock it down before it falls the wrong way and kills other fruit tree's there, so 2 weeks ago, I knocked it down, and build a big pile and then during a rain storm light it on fire, today I decided to try and dig it out with the skid steer, have a cheapo stiff arm backhoe attachment and , tell you what its been a great attachment to have, if you own a skid steer for doing odds and ends about a property, there worth having , !
half the time I don;'t even hook up the hydraulics's just use it using tilt on bucket to dig and it digs, as a LIGHT duty digger great for smaller projects!

so, after digging out stump, I graded things a little, as have a bunch of dirt/top soil coming over next month or so, and will be making a new food plot where tree was, or should say will be making the old one there new and larger , never enough food plot for all the critters here they keep them mowed pretty good on me!
also a turkey to see the stump better

Attachments

• WGI_0046 (2).jpg
    WGI_0046 (2).jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 24
  • WGI_0069 (2).jpg
    WGI_0069 (2).jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 27
  • WGI_0094.jpg
    WGI_0094.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 21
  • WGI_0095.jpg
    WGI_0095.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 23
  • WGI_0174 (2).jpg
    WGI_0174 (2).jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 26
  • WGI_0001 (3).jpg
    WGI_0001 (3).jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

mrbb

Just a little update here on bears here
I am now up to 6 different bears, 2 females and 4 males
had some super early breeding happen last week here,(normal for me here is mid to late june till end of Aug)
however this yr, two of my very regular ( a 2+yr old male and a 4+ yr old female, male I helped raise as a cub, and the female was a from liter that grew up here, he is way young for breeding rights, but she didn't seem to mind! LOL)
t these two bears were going at it a few dozen times in my drive way , on my DECK? and all over the back yard , over a 3 day period, then she went and found a larger male and little guy got kicked out of the fun and games! new lover is also a cub I helped raise but is a yr older and about a 100 lbs heavier, so he had some weight to throw around to get himself some action!
NO pictures as was always at night and too dark for my camera to get pictures!

and then last night a old male showed up, he's a 10-11 yr old I forget exact now,(he was ear tagged and weighted 3 yrs ago)
but last time I seen him was last June when he was mating with a female here, he tends to know females hang out here, so every mating season he shows up looking for love!

last night I was sitting on deck, enjoying the warmer weather for a change, and out of the shadows he walked up on me to say hello , got a pat on the head from me, 9I was on eck he stood on hind legs to greet me for the hello!
I gather some of you would be a little excited if this happened yo you, but so many yrs with these bears, I I just enjoy it for what it is! and count my blessing I get to enjoy it as I do1

and then he sniffed and roamed the yard a while, and then started scent marking the yard pissing all over himself and ground , and away he went
on the search for love! its mating season now for next 3 months or so, he will walk a LOT of miles searching and pulling rank when he finds any females!
he's pushing close to 600 lbs now, he's been larger this time of yr in the past, but that all comes down to how fat he goes into winter, I'm sure he
ll gain some LB's back after mating season!

WGI_0051 (5).jpg WGI_0046 (4).jpg WGI_0044 (1).jpg WGI_0021 (4).jpg WGI_0020 (4).jpg WGI_0019 (2).jpg WGI_0011 (3).jpg

snomoman

Thanks for the uplifting post, really getting tired of all the past posts referring to you know what