First time I am not pissed that I haven't seen snow yet....

slimcake

So I posted in the winter progression thread but thought i would start a new one. I am undertaking a very large and life changing event. Building a house. Current shack is 650 square feet story and a half. W/ 832 sq ft garage that is heated. Best part about said shack is that it is PAID for.... Figured with both of us working our tails off we should build a bit bigger piss patch. So this is what I cam up with IMG_20161120_114035036.jpg Bought 1.5 acres north of town. I only want to do this once! So I treated myself quite well. 1750 sq ft garage! with vaulted ceilings for a hoist. I figure it is probably considered a 7 car garage the way it is layed out. Oh and the wife got a fancy kitchen and walk in shower bla bla bla. So back to the garage. I added a rear overhead door for running the sleds mower what ever out the back. Figure I will have a nice corner bench with big TV and a recliner out there oh and maybe a beer fridge... Some more pictures for ya. IMG_20161005_153003849.jpg IMG_20161031_172942566.jpg IMG_20161120_114015446.jpg IMG_20161120_114120572_HDR.jpg Gonna be nice when its done. The amount of decisions really sucks though!!! What do ya think??

slimcake

IMG_20160901_115338166.jpg One more picture. This is the "bomb shelter"... lol 8x14 ft room incased with 10 inches of concrete. Trying to decide if I should but a vault door on it or what. Already have a big gun safe... My brother is jonesin about that room!!

mezz

Nice slimcake!! Yep, the extended fall has been a good thing. Besides, we all know what's around the corner. At least your all buttoned up & the interior work can continue regardless of weather. Congrats!-Mezz

D

Deleted member 10829

Congratulations! Looks great, and yes, there are way too many decisions to make.

sweeperguy

VERY NICE. Got me some garage envy.
How did the WET summer impact schedule, some delay ,lots of delay? Decisions yeah, no kidding. I did build my last house I know what you mean. Good luck on the rest of the build. Hope it comes off without a hitch😎

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Looks great!

Nice timing with getting things closed in!

Can't wait to see it when its all done.

-John

xcr440

That is almost exactly what I have in my head for garage space in a year or two - even though there is never enough, right?? How many sq ft is the house? Rambler it looks like? (That's the little woman's question)

slimcake

VERY NICE. Got me some garage envy.
How did the WET summer impact schedule, some delay ,lots of delay? Decisions yeah, no kidding. I did build my last house I know what you mean. Good luck on the rest of the build. Hope it comes off without a hitch

We had the hole dug in July. Then rain every 3rd day.... Ya it was a battle. Pumped my swimming pool out many times.... Finally the weather switched and the fellas have been making good progress. Last week got the water line, septic system, and the natural gas meter installed. Now she can freeze up! Here is a couple pictures of my struggles.... aug24th 2.5inch rain.jpg IMG_20160922_073711521.jpg

Snirtdawg

Slimcake, I'm going through the same process, should be done around year end. Dug the hole mid July and poured the foundation quickly, almost nothing till mid September and since the great weather this fall everything moved quickly. Siding, drywall and landscaping this week. This FIB is getting some cheese behind the ears! Not quite north woods but can ride from my door and gets me to favorite spots a lot quicker.
34.jpg 79.jpg 017.jpg 021.jpg

slimcake

That is almost exactly what I have in my head for garage space in a year or two - even though there is never enough, right?? How many sq ft is the house? Rambler it looks like? (That's the little woman's question)

First floor has 1680 square feet. Yes the garage is 70 sq ft larger than the house.... With walk out basement though it will be nice. Its just the two of us so plenty. Open concept and vaulted ceilings in the house as well.

xcr440

First floor has 1680 square feet. Yes the garage is 70 sq ft larger than the house.... With walk out basement though it will be nice. Its just the two of us so plenty. Open concept and vaulted ceilings in the house as well.

Pretty hard to find someone to build smaller than that - We'd like to get closer to 1100-1200 on the main floor. I would think having the bigger garage would keep some builders interested.

Are you planning to have the garage completely finished like your living room, minus flooring??

slimcake

reason 54,766 that I am glad i don't live in suburbia.... My house is considered plenty big around here. Yes garage will be sheetrocked and painted.

whitedust

I hear ya my house 3000+ square feet 3 levels way too much for the 2 of us and wish I had thought smaller in 2004. I wanted to have room for all my childern and Gkids but hardly ever here all at once. Open concept is the way to go with high ceilings facing south for solar winter heat...little cubbie rooms NOT my cup of tea either. My 3 car garage jammed with truck, SUV and boat storage so sled in enclosed trailer 24/7. Garage NEVER big enough ..lol..

srt20

Just my 2 cents on the drywall...

Sounds like you are going to actually use the garage for work vs a "man cave" since you are putting in a hoist?
Drywall gets dirty very easy and is a PIA to clean. Maybe consider metal panels?

Anyway nice place. Way to keep the woman happy and still get what you want.

srt20

Garage will still be to small.

I built a 30x45 shop a couple years ago. Just for working, not parking vehicles in, and it's still to small. All those damn sleds and atvs take up a lot of room, and you know they constantly need work done. Lol.

They are always to small.