First time out West

Highflyer

Hey guys I need some help.....

I will be heading out to Togwotee in a couple weeks and I wondering if you could provide some insight on what i might need to bring. Here are some details: I've been riding in the Midwest (Norther Wisconsin/ UP ) for 20+ years, I'm renting a 700 RMK, and I have a guide for each day.

Questions:

Should I plan on bringing a backpack to carry extra gear or shovel? If so, what do you recommend?

Do the rentals from Towotee have storage bags?

Typical temp for riding in Mid March? Especially the higher elevation?

I have a new Ski-doo Modular but would I be better off wearing a Moto X helment with googles? are the modulars to warm for this time of year and riding?

Should I plan on packing water or gatorade for the days ride?

Or should I just shut up and go have a good time?

Thanks in advance.....

stealthv

Hey guys I need some help.....

I will be heading out to Togwotee in a couple weeks and I wondering if you could provide some insight on what i might need to bring. Here are some details: I've been riding in the Midwest (Norther Wisconsin/ UP ) for 20+ years, I'm renting a 700 RMK, and I have a guide for each day.

Questions:

Should I plan on bringing a backpack to carry extra gear or shovel? If so, what do you recommend?

Yes. Shovel, beacon, probe and everything else you can possibly think of here as you'll be in the middle of nowhere and need to plan on the worst case emergency or even spending a night (or more) on the mountain.

Do the rentals from Towotee have storage bags?

No.

Typical temp for riding in Mid March? Especially the higher elevation?

You'll be hot, sweaty and sunburnt. Lots of thin layers (NO COTTON!)

I have a new Ski-doo Modular but would I be better off wearing a Moto X helment with googles? are the modulars to warm for this time of year and riding?

NFMH. Moto-X.

Should I plan on packing water or gatorade for the days ride?

Yes, all that you can pack.

Or should I just shut up and go have a good time?

Common sense goes a long way. On the trip back you'll be figuring out how to buy a mountain sled.

Thanks in advance

You're welcome.

Last edited:

Highflyer

I'm from Chicago....

Thanks for all the tips!

After years of talking about getting out West my buddy and I are finally making it happen this year.

Firecatguy

you can rent beacon and rest the stuff from Tog lodge...Have fun great place..if you get Carter tell him hi from Pat....

RMKrick

Take a avy classThen ya you want snacks gatorade water.there are some backcountry sites that sell packs with probes,shovels,and beaconsAlso camera have fun think smart if your brain says no dont let your buddy talk you into it.If renting have someone ck it inside and out take pics or you may not like your out come not saying the place you are renting from is crooked but many are!