First time staying in Baraga, Lakeside Inn

Headed up Thursday with my son, was looking for thoughts on the Lakeside Inn and ideas for good day trip ideas.
Also snow conditions? Thanks in advance!

indy_500

I've stayed there before when I couldn't find anything in houghton. Decent place, but you're trapped if you want to get north up the Keweenaw. I just trailered up to where I ride when I stayed there anyways, as I always do when I stay in houghton also...

UP RIDER

Haven't stayed there for a couple of years but was a nice place for sure. Good restaurant, pool hot tub area, decent bar. Drove through Baraga yesterday and there was fresh snow on the ground so as long as the weather stays decent you should be fine. Big Bay is a great trail ride with a good stop at the Finns bar. Good riding down towards Sidnaw Kenton area as well with a side stop at Rouseu. And then of course Alston up to Twin Lakes (there may be some logging on the trail) if #3 is not a zoo you can cruise up to Houghton , Range Snow Mobile Club does a nice fish fry on Friday nights.

whitedust

I've stayed there before when I couldn't find anything in houghton. Decent place, but you're trapped if you want to get north up the Keweenaw. I just trailered up to where I ride when I stayed there anyways, as I always do when I stay in houghton also...

Nice place good bed.. good food but very true bad location to get to the Kee. Good rides east and south cut off going north plenty of good ride options.

So where do you trailer up to in the Keweenaw, Indy? I wouldn't be opposed to doing that, although I just realized I'll be working around some Dogsled trail closures this weekend.

indy_500

So where do you trailer up to in the Keweenaw, Indy? I wouldn't be opposed to doing that, although I just realized I'll be working around some Dogsled trail closures this weekend.

Well it really depends where you want to ride and what you want to do. I only ride off trail and don't go more than 5-10 miles from the truck and trailer. If youre looking to ride the kee I would suggest trailering to calumet if you want ride north of the bridge or south range if you want to ride south of the bridge. Or if you're going south/west you could cut across M38 and park in Mass city also.

T

Tracker

Well it really depends where you want to ride and what you want to do. I only ride off trail and don't go more than 5-10 miles from the truck and trailer. If youre looking to ride the kee I would suggest trailering to calumet if you want ride north of the bridge or south range if you want to ride south of the bridge. Or if you're going south/west you could cut across M38 and park in Mass city also.

yet not one picture or film so we can all live vicariously thru you>>>>>>DOH

jd

Administrator
Staff member
yet not one picture or film so we can all live vicariously thru you>>>>>>DOH

Indy has been trained by the best Jedi-Snow masters. Leave no tracks, show no pictures! :)

OK, thread hijack over!

Willh

I never understand why people would come to the Keweenaw for snow...and then stay in the snow shadow?

MNBlizzard

As stated above, Baraga and L'Anse are basically disconnected from the Keweenaw. I've never stayed in Baraga but have trailered down from Houghton and rode to Mt. Avron. I really liked the area and want to go back sometime. We had lunch at Finn's at it was very good. There is also gas near Finn's at a small ma and pa store. I'd also suggest trailering to Houghton and parking under the bridge if you want to ride that area.

surgin

only gassed up in calumet a couple of times. If I were to trailer there, any suggestions on where to park? Dog sled closures on Saturday?

Woodtic

The Baraga club is Having a cook out ect out on the Baraga Plains this Sat. You could have fun for a few hours and burn a half a tank of gas out there. Is it Still ok to post pics of the Iron River area Admin? What about Bruce's ?

bladeguy

There is actually some nice riding out of Baraga - provided there is snow coverage and they are grooming. trails 109 and 12? (towards mass city) are great trails when there is ample snow. Maybe someone on this thread can fill us in on that? 109 does have a few spots in the middle that can get very thin. You cannot go north out of Baraga as the trail dead ends at Chassel. However, headed south and west is the Sturgeon River Gorge - or as we call them the UP Rollers- which can be great fun. Again provided goomed and snow covered. As for trailering you can park under the lift bridge in Houghton (Houghton side?) and ride north to Copper Harbor. I believe there is a public parking lot in Mass City also? I believe it is sort of Kitty corner to Tiges bar.

frnash

As stated above, Baraga and L'Anse are basically disconnected from the Keweenaw. I've never stayed in Baraga but have trailered down from Houghton and rode to Mt. Avron. …
That would be Mt. Arvon, FWIW — mainly for any newbies reading this and trying to find it.
But you get bonus points for getting L'Anse right! :encouragement: (vs. "Lance or "Lanse" as some folks do it! :confused:)

Woodtic

Hey frnash, some history buffs put a book together about Dunkan township . Kenton and Sidnaw area. It's over a inch thick and a good read. Starts with the mining,Henry ford, WW2 prisoner of war camps ect. I will try to get you a copy.

frnash

Hey frnash, some history buffs put a book together about Dunkan¹[sic] township . Kenton and Sidnaw area. It's over a inch thick and a good read. Starts with the mining,Henry ford, WW2 prisoner of war camps ect.[SUP]2[/SUP] [sic] I will try to get you a copy.
Seriously? That idea has me drooling already!

The only thing better than that would be a copy of Superior Heartland: A Backwoods History by C. Fred Rydholm.

I've been kicking myself in the posterior for years for missing it when it was published. Now it's an extremely rare item.

Library of Congress citation:
Rydholm, C. Fred. Superior heartland : a backwoods history /
[C. Fred Rydholm]. Marquette, MI
(221 Lakewood Ln., Marquette 49855) : C.F. Rydholm, c1989.
2 v. (xvii, 1598 p.) : ill. ; 26 cm.
F612.S9 R93 1989
The few who have a copy aren't the least bit timid about their prices,
see (click →) Amazon, and check their (click →) customer reviews.

¹ (click →) Duncan Twp.[SUP]
2[/SUP] "ect.": That's shorthand for "ectoplasm"? — Not to be confused with "etc.", for "et cetera" of course. :devilish:
[Note to self: Don't bite the hand that feeds ya, Frank! :stung:]

Stack

Headed up Thursday with my son, was looking for thoughts on the Lakeside Inn and ideas for good day trip ideas.
Also snow conditions? Thanks in advance!

I was there for lunch today, saw a couple sleds out, trails are snow covered but thin in spots. As you head out of the area snow depths should improve significantly. Food there is good, they make a good Rueben, ranch dressing is homemade and good with the steak fries. Check out the Hill Top in Lanse as well, gigantic cinnamon rolls. Have a great trip!

-Stack