fish fry dinner..

timo

caught a whole mess of gills over the weekend and looking for a different recipe to breading and frying them.
have done the egg and milk breading have tried all the shore lunch and most breading's you can find in a grocery store, blah blah blah.
anyone else got a tasty way of breading and frying fish? no breading maybe?
looking for something different, getting burnt out on the samething.

thanks.

mrsrunningbear

We are in the pan no breading, salt pepper like harski said, add a little white wine.

For breaded Panko is my new favorite it lightens it up, light and crunchy

sjb

I have about 5 different ways to make panfish. You won't get a single one from me until you tell me where you caught the mess of gills, as you call it;)

Now that we have that out - my favorite right now is take a wet filet and place them into Zatarain's fish fry breading, pan fry with a little bit of extra virgin olive oil. Once about 1/2 way cooked, add a dab of butter to the pan to add a nice level of crispyness to the edge. I usually eat like this, and just a little mayo. But if you are feeling a bit on the CRAZY side, right before you pull the fish off, add a few tablespoons of chardonnay wine and cover. It will add a nice sweetness to the outside of the fish. Pair with a strong old fashion, and call me over. I will even clean up the kitchen

flaabr01

I have a great recipe if you want to bake the fish instead of fry them.

1. heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. lay fish out on a baking sheet with tinfoil.
3. spread butter on the top side of the fillets.
4. take your favorite chips and crumple them (I prefer frito lays or doritos). coat the fillets healthily with the chips.
5. sprinkle cheese on top of the chips (could lay sliced cheese on top as well).
6. put in oven and bake for 10-13 minutes depending on the thickness of the fillets.
7. enjoy!

At first I was skeptical about this, but once I tried it when I wanted to cook fish at home and didn't want to mess with smelling the house up with fish or dealing with oil in a deep fryer, this is my go-to recipe! You could also substitute the oven for the grill to get a little charcoal taste as well.

wrongway

One of my favorite things to do is pick out a nice baked shrimp scampi recipe and put the filets in place of the shrimp.

boardin

like to keep it simple. Egg mixed with milk-Then roll in crushed up Ritz crackers.(add seasoning of choice to crushed crackers) then fry in oil. Nice light tasty coating.

timo

I'm gonna give this a shot tonight. Wife is sick of me stinking up the house frying.

4. take your favorite chips and crumple them (I prefer frito lays or doritos). coat the fillets healthily with the chips.
5. sprinkle cheese on top of the chips (could lay sliced cheese on top as well).
6. put in oven and bake for 10-13 minutes depending on the thickness of the fillets.
7. enjoy!

At first I was skeptical about this, but once I tried it when I wanted to cook fish at home and didn't want to mess with smelling the house up with fish or dealing with oil in a deep fryer, this is my go-to recipe! You could also substitute the oven for the grill to get a little charcoal taste as well.

snake

In Canada we pan fry walleyes in mixture of little flour, cornflake crumbs, salt and pepper. Very good.

yep,crushed cornflakes and seasonings(nice and crispy). good sized black skillet to hold heat and fry in garage on turkey fryer burner=no stinky house!

timo

7. enjoy!

i did this and it was pretty good. followed the recipe to a T, except i added a little oregano, paprika, pepper and basil. i used ritz crackers thats all i had in the house, next time i would definitely use bread crumbs of some kind.
it was nice and light, no mess, no stink. my stomach doesn't feel like i drank a gallon of oil.
winner winner fish dinner.

thanks.

ifishiam

my favorites are...Drakes with a dark beer for frying, always in peanut oil as you can get it much hotter and this makes the fish less greasy.

....or baked similar to what you did. I do mine at higher heat, about 500F. I melt some butter with some dill and black pepper and pour that over the fish. Then I fire em in the oven and wait about 15mins. They get a little brown on top, but are still very moist. you could easily sprinkle a little parm on at the end and switch the oven to broil to add even more texture.

xplorer

For gills and smaller crappies I simply dump some "Fry Magic" in a gallon ziploc, place a frypan full of fillets in the bag at a time, fill with air, zip shut, and shake to coat. Then drop in about a half inch of canola oil (I use our campstove out on the garage workbench) and fry to desired crispyness. Amazing how good they are and easy as can be. Too much batter and you loose the sweet flavor of gills and crap's.