Fisherman's birthday, Help

FishermanJay

Hello JohnDee forum,

My name is Josh and its great to be here with you guys and I'm looking forward to speaking with you all. From since the first days, I can remember my father has taken weeks if not weekends away fishing, we never really seen him haha. Unfortunately, I never found the love for fishing maybe because I was terrible at catching fish but either way it just wasn't for me.

Anyway, He is the fisherman that's birthday is coming up soon and I'm wanting to find him something special that he can use daily or keep at home hung up somewhere. But, I don't know where to start, he has everything you could ever want when it comes to fishing. He never says I need one of these or I need one of those if he needs it he's got it. But saying this there must be something I can get him right? Maybe a fishing chair to hold his beers while he fishes? check the link below to tell me what you think. I have also been down to the local baker and I am getting them to make him a special fisherman's birthday cake, I know he will love this. But what else can I do/get?
https://www.easyprices.com/fashion/fishing-glow-sticks-cheap
Some ideas I have had below but I would need help with brands, designs and anything else that you guys know that I don't.

Nice new fishing real
Rod
A comfortable fishing chair
Tent
Fishing Knife
ETC

But as I said above he has all of this and I don't see him needing or wanting more. I know he would appreciate it but I still want him to use it haha.

Some details that might help you guy help me is - He fishes for Carp, Pike, Bream (Pond and river fish), he fishes at all time od the day and year and he's 56 years of age.

I'm sure you guys will have some great ideas to get me on the right tracks!

Thanks

b3118a077714d07cef9f519583c0c334.jpg

Last edited:

Wyelde

If he does a lot of shore fishing, a fishing chair is a great idea. That being said, fishing equipment is sort of a personal choice that depends on what he likes, and what he has or doesn't have already. I know it's a cop out, but you could also consider a gift card to the local sporting goods shop or to one of the big online places such as Cabelas or Bass Pro. Or possibly a subscription to one of the many fishing magazines. Another idea might be a charter for salmon or lake trout on one of the great lakes, or a guided trip on a local lake

FishermanJay

I get the cop out but it might be my last option. As you said fishing is a personal thing and I wouldn't want to get anything wrong. What about just going out with him down to the tackle shop and seeing what he fancies while we are in there and then I will treat him.

But a decent Chair is always a winner

snirt125

I know you asked for ideas that can be used/seen daily, but has he ever talked about a fishing trip that may be on his bucket list? I went in on a trip for my dad with our family and he had a fantastic time, plus he can look at the photos every day if he chooses (still talks about it 10 years later).

momoney2123

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABE...gclid=CO7N_62679ICFUK4wAodPlMEzg&gclsrc=aw.ds

For rod and reel if he likes using the open face style you cant go wrong with the shimano spirex combo. I would go 4000 model for fish described. Length of pole would depend on what he uses it for mostly, but longer the better for casting, medium heavy. The only question he would need is does he prefer front drag or rear drag.

If he likes baitcaster style reels the Abu Garcia and also shimano curado's are very good reels.

ezra

book him a weekend for 2 at a place he has never fished . then suck it up and go fish with him for the 2 days. that is all he really wants is to spend some time with his kid . the poll or real or chair will be gone in a yr or 2.cheesy as it sounds the weekend together will last as long as him and for u when he checks out . **** he will be more than happy to flip the bill for the whole deal after u book it any way if it get u out on the boat with him . unless u are a real downer then the hooker is best .