Fishing and Eagles

skiroule

Had a very cool ice fishing experience yesterday. Set up our rig about 100 ft. from a small island with a large eagle’s nest and one lone eagle standing watch. There was no shortage of fish so after a while I picked up a Sauger, hiked over to the island and put the fish on a large rock, all under the watchful eye of the eagle. Sure enough, as soon as I made my way back to the fish house he (or she) swooped down grabbed the fish and returned to the nest.

Guess it must be my age showing but between the light snow that was falling, the isolation of the area, and the eagle interaction, it was a scene that hit me as being something special. To many it might not seem like a big deal but I think these are days to be appreciated.

IMG_0298_zpsqa4nx7qf.jpg

snoluver1

Thats an awesome story Kelly!

I had a similar experience the other day. Only difference it was a pigeon, it ate garbage and chit on my head.:confused: ......yours sounds way cooler.

D

Deleted member 10829

I see retirement is treating you well! I'm so jealous. We have at least 3 eagles nests on our lake now and I never get tired of watching them take fish etc. Very cool bird!!

skiroule

I had a similar experience the other day. Only difference it was a pigeon, it ate garbage and chit on my head.:confused:

It's true, almost the same thing. Can't let your guard down with pigeons though.

Where's Lower Wacker? Think I could take a guess.

skiroule

I see retirement is treating you well! I'm so jealous. We have at least 3 eagles nests on our lake now and I never get tired of watching them take fish etc. Very cool bird!!

I've seen quite a few around in the summer picking up fish kills but only a few seem to stay around in the winter. Very cool to see the comeback they've made. Master predators for sure. Have to keep an eye on the 8 lb Pomeranian. They would make quick work of him.

Snow is building up slowly and the lake riding is awesome right now. Wind gusts to 40 do make visibility interesting at times.