Florence/Florence County, WI

Not real familiar with this area, but we were invited next weekend to stay on Fisher Lake in Florence. The others in the group will be mostly ice fishing, but we're bringing the sleds and would like to do some riding. Anyone have any feedback on the area, good routes to go, places to stop or see? Found one local club website, but it didn't really have much info and couldn't print out the map for the area. I hopefully am getting one in the mail, though, as I did make a phone call to a tourism #. Hopefully, the conditions are good up there.

TOMSKI

Great area Blue Ox Trail Riders do a great job, Annie's Trading post on Keyes lake good place. Head west towards Long Lake-Tipler Michigan is right there you will need a tail pass, great trails, head up to Crystal Falls or Iron River. 21st-23rd there is a utv/atv ride out of Pembine they have over 100 machines and the trail get destroyed so any snowmobilers will want to stay far away from Pembine, Dunbar, Goodman and down to Amberg, Athelstane and Silver Cliff

lt250rfd

Looking to stay on Wisconsin trails, Michigan or both? Can go any direction really, not a bad area to ride out of. We head to that area from the southeast on Wisconsin trails and from Michigan coming through Norway from the east. Lots of directions and variety of trail depending on what your looking to hit.

blkhwkbob

Can't really go wrong in any direction, but heading north it gets pretty desolate. South of Florence there is a weird religious shrine in the middle of the woods. Maybe make a trip to try to find it. North and west into Michigan is a place known for its burgers (I think it's the Wooden Nickel). West is good towards Forest County. It's a cool area. Definitely go for a ride.

dfattack

I have a place in Florence and I'm heading up tomorrow. I have not been on the trails this year but will be able to check them out tomorrow evening. I can reply then with a quick report. As others have said you can go north, south, east and west. Although south is sometimes limited to lower snow levels. I typically like to head up trail 5 (north) from Iron Mountain up to republic or gwinn. Heading west towards Iron River, MI or crystal falls is also a nice route. It all depends on how many miles you want to ride so we can help you with routes.

whitedust

Can't really go wrong in any direction, but heading north it gets pretty desolate. South of Florence there is a weird religious shrine in the middle of the woods. Maybe make a trip to try to find it. North and west into Michigan is a place known for its burgers (I think it's the Wooden Nickel). West is good towards Forest County. It's a cool area. Definitely go for a ride.
I believe all burgers are half pounders at the Nickel. I asked you have something smaller? Nope. Come with your appetite ,split fries with Buddy.

Sounds great. I didn't have any particular direction in mind. Something probably enough for a day trip, but not too long. These days we're happy with less miles than when we were younger and more youthful. If we can keep it 100 miles or less that's good enough for us. I'd almost venture to say (depending on the area and trails of course) we probably ride around 70 miles or so. I'm used to narrower and more turns though. The further north you go the wider and better the trails. 50 miles the further south you go may feel like over a 100 up north. I was considering MI, but geez over $50 for a trail pass seems kind of steep (at least for one weekend.) I didn't realize it had gone up so much. I think the last time I got one I spent like $30. Guess it's been awhile since I've been in the UP. LOL If it's that spectacular there, however, maybe I need to make the investment. Thanks for the responses.

dfattack

Based on what you said I would stop at the Chuckwagon to eat which is just a few miles east of Fisher lake. They may have the local trail maps there or the BP in Florence should have them too. Either way get a map and just stick to the local trails in Florence. They are exactly what you described that you like. Blue Ox normally does a very nice job with their trails considering they rely almost exclusively on system snows and aren't fortunate enough to get the lake effect bands. Florence is located on the northern edge of the Blue Ox system so you won't need to venture north into the michigan trails and therefore won't need to buy trails passes for Michigan.

lt250rfd

Chuckwagon has good grub, can catch trail south through spread eagle barrons, different terrain and has a lookout. Can loop back north or head south towards dunbar/goodman/armstrong. Can head west towards tipler/longlake. Lots of options and good stops. Florence we like Annie's cool little stop, mineshaft for pizza. Whitetail in tipler, 139 longlake, greenshack in armstrong, whitehouse in Goodman, barbeque place took over north country in dunbar have yet to try it. Be up tomorrow so hoping to hit sometime. Lots of options and good places cant really go wrong, like mentioned grab a map and have fun.

blkhwkbob

There's no need to spend the $50 around there for 70-100 miles. Plenty to do on the Wisconsin side. Just eat before lt250rfd gets there.

cabin800

hi. I was just there riding 260 miles....trust me when I say this. stay to the south of florence.go towards long lake,newald,laona Armstrong creek.dunbar..trail were awesome in these area....I rode to iron mountain then to sagola and to crystal falls.....the only best trail was from crystal falls to florence....do not go toward iron river,mi. rocks. .....they need more snow up there to fill holes in trail...I'm going to try to send pics south of florence.

Attachments

• 20220106_121317.jpg
    20220106_121317.jpg
    909 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220105_165501.jpg
    20220105_165501.jpg
    1,001.3 KB · Views: 19
hi. I was just there riding 260 miles....trust me when I say this. stay to the south of florence.go towards long lake,newald,laona Armstrong creek.dunbar..trail were awesome in these area....I rode to iron mountain then to sagola and to crystal falls.....the only best trail was from crystal falls to florence....do not go toward iron river,mi. rocks. .....they need more snow up there to fill holes in trail...I'm going to try to send pics south of florence.
Thanks for the info. Pics look like a smooth highway!

dfattack

Rode 133 miles on the Florence trails and some in the dungood riders trails. I will say I was pleasantly surprised overall but this area needs some snow.

Left Spread Eagle on 2 west. Florence section was great. Compliments to the Blue Ox club on ALL of their trails today. Once we crossed into Michigan the gravel appeared and trail wasn't as good but doable. Improved west of the George young turnoff.

Then took trail 7 (not sure if this is the NST) south to trail 8. Stopped at the whitetail to gas up. Trail 8 all the way to just east of Goodman was good but some thin areas. From there took trail G north and was great. Some sections where the road was plowed was a little icy but for the most part good. From junction 8 we took trail F5 north and this was really good. From there trail 6 (all good) and stopped at the Chuckwagon for dinner for a nice burger. Rode with some friends and had a great time. Anyone thinking about this area should be happy. I will say that they can't afford to lose any snow but with the forecast next week the added snow would be perfect.

By the way, today had as many people on the trail I have ever seen and it's usually not crowded around here. No issues, everyone was polite and respectful. No nuts out there today.

hermie

Great area Blue Ox Trail Riders do a great job, Annie's Trading post on Keyes lake good place. Head west towards Long Lake-Tipler Michigan is right there you will need a tail pass, great trails, head up to Crystal Falls or Iron River. 21st-23rd there is a utv/atv ride out of Pembine they have over 100 machines and the trail get destroyed so any snowmobilers will want to stay far away from Pembine, Dunbar, Goodman and down to Amberg, Athelstane and Silver Cliff
Unfortunately you want to stay away from these areas more time than not. Beautiful trails but the UTV/ATV trash these trails all winter. When I rode there was worried in every corner there may be a UTV that could not hold there in line. I will not be going back which is unfortunate because they have really nice trails.

cabin800

I ride a atv too. but I wish they werent allowed during winter time...sleds only get a few months.let us enjoy it. but if you think atv will take the revenue over. go for it. but we will just find other trails to ride.. just saying.

dfattack

I didn’t see one ATV/UTV all day. Never even saw tracks from one. Just hundreds of sleds. I think the smallest group I saw was mine at 3 sleds.

cabin800

I didn’t see one ATV/UTV all day. Never even saw tracks from one. Just hundreds of sleds. I think the smallest group I saw was mine at 3 sleds.
that's good to hear. I did follow a side by side track in snow from the north toward dunbar.. kinda sucked.then leaving for home....I drove by Richard's motel in dunbar and saw a trailer with 2 side by sides on trailer. .. but again . it was nice to see signs up along trail to the west toward laona,newald that said no atvs side by sides on trail..

old abe

Unfortunately you want to stay away from these areas more time than not. Beautiful trails but the UTV/ATV trash these trails all winter. When I rode there was worried in every corner there may be a UTV that could not hold there in line. I will not be going back which is unfortunate because they have really nice trails.
Totally agree! We no longer go to, or spend $$$, in the areas that allow wheeled vehicles on there snow trails!

cabin800

can you just imagine if 10 side by sides ripping down a snowmobile trail.and your on a snowmobile behind them.....itd be just as bad riding thru a logging road....now why would you spend 16k to get bounced around on the trail.makes no sense. .. I talk to a dealer who sells atv,side by sides,snowmobiles... he says.snowmobilers get 4 to 12 weeks if your lucky.to ride...12 weeks is pushing it.lol. ..atvs get all yr.except in spring when its closed for 1 month... let's us enjoy them.....I know you have the rule 28degrees or colder.but when the snow is soft.it doesnt matter. they dig ruts.ok I'm done bitching.lol