Fly Like an Eagle

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
With a nod to the Steve Miller Band we've been prepping for AirVenture 2023 in Oshkosh, Wisconsin for some time now. This will be my 7th year as a volunteer moving people and planes at the busiest airport in the World for the last week in July, the 24th thru the 30th. We had something like 630,000 visitors last year so it's no secret to those in aviation and as a local I have a short 12 mile drive to be in the midst of it all. Thanks to Boeing, those 18 and under get in free. The following video is narrated by Harrison Ford, the actor. I met Indiana a few years ago as he's a member, a pilot, and a guest speaker at AirVenture. I think the video can tell the story better than I can. Click on the link labeled "Overview".

Each year they focus on a specific plane of significance. This year is the Reunion of the WWII Navy Warbird, the F4U Corsair.

So, if you're in Wisconsin or nearby, whether you're an enthusiast or just curious, I guarantee you will be up close and personal to thousands of planes and friendly people from all over the world. Wittman Field is on the south side of Oshkosh, just off the Interstate, Hwy 41. Safe travels and hope to see you there!

eaa.org

Aircraft.jpg

jd

Administrator
Staff member
If you are even mildly interested in aircraft, this is the event to attend! Went twice when I was a young lad. When I was in college, I worked at a resort's marina in S. WI. A bunch of the warbirds would fly down to the resort (it had an airport too) for lunch. The owner of the marina did a swap with one of the pilots, an hour of water skiing for a ride in his aircraft. The owner did this so his son could go on the airplane ride, only he did not want to (probably afraid). So I offered up my butt to sit in the warbird and it was accepted. Turns out it was a P51 Mustang! What a magnificent machine! We did all kinds of acrobatics, steep climbs, barrel rolls, etc... Something I will never forget and probably the closest I will ever get to space travel in my life! I can't even imagine another aircraft having to go up against this in a dogfight.

Thanks Gary for helping me bring that memory up!

favoritos

That is a pretty cool experience John. Right place, right time, and some luck added gave you an opportunity not many will experience.

I have not been to Oshkosh. Friends that go talk about it with awe. Most of them are involved with old birds in some form or another and the Oshkosh is the pinnacle. I'm personally fascinated by the sheer volume of older aircraft they move in that airspace.

I was around some old birds as a teen. I worked at a local airport and there were a few big collectors that had hangers. I spent quite a bit of time just washing a fleet of Stearman squadron planes. We also had a qualified shop that brought in a lot of the old stuff for cert. etc. Radial rebuilds were interesting. (Even saw dual bank. Sounds like those were rare.) The shop had Stearman frames from old surplus sitting in crates and who knows what else.

With all that stuff sitting and flying around, the P51 was always unmistakable. Just sitting on the ground, they look impressive. We had one that was polished. It looked too good to fly. Those engines though, wow what a sound. Starting them really gets the blood flowing. I still get chills just remembering the low flybys. The engines had a growl and the low flybys had a scream. Those planes say a lot on the ground and even more when you see them fly. I didn't get seat time, and I can only imagine the experience.

ICT Sledder

I'd guess at least half of the aircraft on the ground at Oshkosh were built in the town I spent almost all of my life in before finally moving to the northwoods of MN. An easy majority if you also include third party manufacture of individual parts and engineering services. Great place to live if you want to eat, sleep, work and breathe aircraft. Absolutely terrible place to live if you love the outdoors.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK, looks like were about as ready as we're gonna get for AirVenture 23 in Oshkosh. It's Friday afternoon and they're already stacking up for landings. The first link shows the traffic coming in Live with radio content from the tower. Click on the LIVE ADS Window.

The second link is from FlightAware that shows real time traffic.

My first shift starts at 6 a.m. Monday morning. Safe travels for all that visit Oshkosh in the coming days!​

BigSix

I will second Gary's and John's remarks. I have been to EAA about 10 times now, usually with my dad who was a pilot. Nothing else like it in the world and its right here in Wisconsin! Most of us on this forum like machines and the planes, jets and helicopters you will see at EAA are mind blowing whether you like vintage or cutting edge new aircraft. If you can make it there for a day, you won't be sorry.

heckler56

Here you go Gary. From a app called “flight aware” (great if you travel by air and want to know where your plane actually is (despite what the airline is telling you), what plane is over me now, and weather).

Attachments

• IMG_CB821CD4B378-1.jpeg
    IMG_CB821CD4B378-1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
A couple of pictures from Day 1 at AirVenture in Oshkosh.

Plane 4.jpg
Hats off to the 148th Fighter Wing of the Minnesota Air National Guard, Duluth.

Plane2.jpg
Post World War I. But not by much.

Plane3.jpg
A view of the EAA Campground from a Bell 47 Helicopter.
The kind they used on episodes of TV's MASH.
Interstate Hwy 41 is in the far right of the photo.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Alrighty then...Day 2 of AirVenture is in the books. If you noticed the timestamp on my posting earlier, the alarm went off at 4 a.m. to start my day. I'm no fan of getting up that early, once up then I'm fine with it. So, a couple of pics from the show....

plane3.jpg
This is Warbird Alley as the sun is coming up over Oshkosh.
As aforementioned, I'm no fan of early Alarm Clocks but there is nothing better than the outdoors at that time of day.
The smells and sounds of that time of the day are very special.

plane 4.jpg
Before they made the F150, the Ranger, and the SuperDuty, Ford made airplanes.
Wasn't much to look at and wasn't very fast, despite having 3 engines, one in the nose and one each on the wings.
But this one still flies and will get you where you want to go.

plane1.jpg
Don't ask me how an American Citizen or Group can purchase a Russian Mig but they did....and it's here in Oshkosh.
This MIG also known as a Flogger, came out in 1983 to counter our F15 Strike Eagle.
I'm thinking Putin is not going to be happy about this....
So that's it for today. I'm running on fumes and I still have to get out to ATW to pickup my sister and nephew that are flying in for the Air Show. Hopefully more to share in the days to come.

Gary

hybrid

thanks for sharing the awesome pics Gary
i was there once in the early 90s with my dad
i got to get back
those fighter jets are very cool
i bet that Mig was a couple bucks
would love to know what that cost

jshabadu

Don't ask me how an American Citizen or Group can purchase a Russian Mig but they did....and it's here in Oshkosh.
This MIG also known as a Flogger, came out in 1983 to counter our F15 Strike Eagle.
I'm thinking Putin is not going to be happy about this....

Gary, when the Iron Curtain fell 25-30 years ago, the Russians started selling many different planes to the west. This particular Mig 23 is based out of Texas and is for sale....$1.4 million. All it takes is money...

My son and I are heading to Oshkosh tonight!

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gary, when the Iron Curtain fell 25-30 years ago, the Russians started selling many different planes to the west. This particular Mig 23 is based out of Texas and is for sale....$1.4 million. All it takes is money...

My son and I are heading to Oshkosh tonight!
Thanks for the background, 1.4 million for the guy that has everything is not too much to ask.

Safe Travels for you both, you're making memories that will last a lifetime!

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
For those following along, Wednesday was Day 3 of AirVenture in Oshkosh. The day began with a Thunderstorm that hit about 7 a.m. and the rain came down in buckets. It's been a dry year in this part of the state so the rain is welcomed. On the other hand, being in a Thunderstorm on an airport surrounded by thousands of large metal airplanes is not the best of choices.
plane4.jpg
It started like this....

plane3.jpg
Developed into this....
And there but for the Grace of God go I,
your humble servant survived another day.

You may have heard that just south of us in Slinger a parked Ford Super Duty was hit by lightning and isn't so lucky.

Once the storm passed we got back to normal activities.

plane1.jpg
Here's our beloved A10 Warthog in all her glory.
She's ugly and slow and can cut a tank in half with her nose gun...

plane2.jpg
Pictured here,
the 30 mm Auto Cannon.
She'll get no dates to the prom but we love her dearly just the same.

plane5.jpg
Lastly for today, when I look at any number of C47's in Oshkosh, I can't help but think of one of my favorite series, Band of Brothers.
This was the model plane that the Airborne jumped from on D Day. Some of these survived the war and went on to many years of passenger and cargo service. Some, like this one, are still flying today.

I guess that covers my adventures of the third day of AirVenture in Oshkosh. Hope I'm not boring you guys with this stuff. It truly is an adventure to be around the people and planes of this event. We'll see what tomorrow brings!

Gary

wiscrev

For those following along, Wednesday was Day 3 of AirVenture in Oshkosh. The day began with a Thunderstorm that hit about 7 a.m. and the rain came down in buckets. It's been a dry year in this part of the state so the rain is welcomed. On the other hand, being in a Thunderstorm on an airport surrounded by thousands of large metal airplanes is not the best of choices.
View attachment 68789
It started like this....

View attachment 68790
Developed into this....
And there but for the Grace of God go I,
your humble servant survived another day.

You may have heard that just south of us in Slinger a parked Ford Super Duty was hit by lightning and isn't so lucky.

Once the storm passed we got back to normal activities.

View attachment 68791
Here's our beloved A10 Warthog in all her glory.
She's ugly and slow and can cut a tank in half with her nose gun...

View attachment 68792
Pictured here,
the 30 mm Auto Cannon.
She'll get no dates to the prom but we love her dearly just the same.

View attachment 68793
Lastly for today, when I look at any number of C47's in Oshkosh, I can't help but think of one of my favorite series, Band of Brothers.
This was the model plane that the Airborne jumped from on D Day. Some of these survived the war and went on to many years of passenger and cargo service. Some, like this one, are still flying today.

I guess that covers my adventures of the third day of AirVenture in Oshkosh. Hope I'm not boring you guys with this stuff. It truly is an adventure to be around the people and planes of this event. We'll see what tomorrow brings!

Gary
Great job, Gary. Keep it up. Enjoying all the pcs and commentary.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
A bit of a change-up for today's AirVenture. Instead of pictures of planes we'll be focused on the pyrotechnics of Wednesday night's Air Show. They feature two Night time Air Shows during the week. The following photos are not mine, this event occurred far past my bedtime. Many people will tell you that they've seen nothing like it, the following pics will give you a taste of the nighttime over AirVenture!
color1.jpg

color2.jpg

color3.jpg

color4.jpg

color5.jpg
And just to test if you've been paying attention...
color6.jpg
The Pilot is Unconscious and you have to land the plane. What's the first thing you would do?​

wiscrev

A bit of a change-up for today's AirVenture. Instead of pictures of planes we'll be focused on the pyrotechnics of Wednesday night's Air Show. They feature two Night time Air Shows during the week. The following photos are not mine, this event occurred far past my bedtime. Many people will tell you that they've seen nothing like it, the following pics will give you a taste of the nighttime over AirVenture!
And just to test if you've been paying attention...
View attachment 68803
The Pilot is Unconscious and you have to land the plane. What's the first thing you would do?​
Change my shorts, because first you say it and then you do it!

skiroule

Change my shorts, because first you say it and then you do it!
Add my name to that list.

Awesome photos and reports Gary! The size of this event is mind-boggling. I honestly don't know how they pull it off. I guess guys like you hae a lot to do with that. Well Done!