Fly Like an Eagle

pclark

A bit of a change-up for today's AirVenture. Instead of pictures of planes we'll be focused on the pyrotechnics of Wednesday night's Air Show. They feature two Night time Air Shows during the week. The following photos are not mine, this event occurred far past my bedtime. Many people will tell you that they've seen nothing like it, the following pics will give you a taste of the nighttime over AirVenture!
And just to test if you've been paying attention...
View attachment 68803
The Pilot is Unconscious and you have to land the plane. What's the first thing you would do?​
Make sure my parachute is on and functional.

rph130

A bit of a change-up for today's AirVenture. Instead of pictures of planes we'll be focused on the pyrotechnics of Wednesday night's Air Show. They feature two Night time Air Shows during the week. The following photos are not mine, this event occurred far past my bedtime. Many people will tell you that they've seen nothing like it, the following pics will give you a taste of the nighttime over AirVenture!
And just to test if you've been paying attention...
View attachment 68803
The Pilot is Unconscious and you have to land the plane. What's the first thing you would do?​
Steal pclarks parachute. Forget about changing my shorts, they will get soiled again as soon as I jump out of plane.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Today was Day 5 of AirVenture in Oshkosh. Hard to tell if attendance is up, down, or the same as last year. We should know the final figures by early next week. I can tell you that I've seen a ton of people from places from all 4 corners of the earth. I felt kind of bad for the guy from Israel when I asked him where he was from he looked down at his feet and quietly said, "Jerusalem". I hope his visits to the states gives him some pride and confidence when he goes back home.

So I'm driving home this afternoon. It's been a long day, looking forward to a hot shower, maybe catch a nap before dinner. I happen to see something out of the corner of my eye and it's this guy...
b52.jpg
The silhouette is unmistakable, It's a B52 circling over Neenah and preparing for a low Fly-by at the Air Show about 10 miles away.
I guess the Big Fella needs some elbow room when he's out and about.
This is a plane that is about 70 years old and is still on active duty.

b connie 2.jpg
This is a plane that has always intrigued me.
The Lockheed Constellation, the first passenger plane with a pressurized cabin and the last of the propeller driven airliners.
The Jets were taking over and by 1967 she was obsolete.

b doc29.jpg
This would be the cockpit of the B29 named "Doc" who's visiting Oshkosh this week.
The first Pressurized Cabin for a bomber so they could fly higher and farther and
this would be identical to the Enola Gay that dropped the bomb on Hiroshima.

Days End.jpg
.... and that my friends ends another day at AirVenture
and a new day begins tomorrow.

Sleep well & Safe Travels !

pclark

Today was Day 5 of AirVenture in Oshkosh. Hard to tell if attendance is up, down, or the same as last year. We should know the final figures by early next week. I can tell you that I've seen a ton of people from places from all 4 corners of the earth. I felt kind of bad for the guy from Israel when I asked him where he was from he looked down at his feet and quietly said, "Jerusalem". I hope his visits to the states gives him some pride and confidence when he goes back home.

So I'm driving home this afternoon. It's been a long day, looking forward to a hot shower, maybe catch a nap before dinner. I happen to see something out of the corner of my eye and it's this guy...
View attachment 68813
The silhouette is unmistakable, It's a B52 circling over Neenah and preparing for a low Fly-by at the Air Show about 10 miles away.
I guess the Big Fella needs some elbow room when he's out and about.
This is a plane that is about 70 years old and is still on active duty.

View attachment 68814
This is a plane that has always intrigued me.
The Lockheed Constellation, the first passenger plane with a pressurized cabin and the last of the propeller driven airliners.
The Jets were taking over and by 1967 she was obsolete.

View attachment 68816
This would be the cockpit of the B29 named "Doc" who's visiting Oshkosh this week.
The first Pressurized Cabin for a bomber so they could fly higher and farther and
this would be identical to the Enola Gay that dropped the bomb on Hiroshima.

View attachment 68817
.... and that friends ends another day at AirVenture
and a new day begins tomorrow.

Sleep well & Safe Travels !

So Cool!

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
They're Finally Home
GREEN BAY, Wis. (WBAY) - Even after arriving back home, many Vietnam War veterans found that there was no Welcome Home celebration.

“Nothing, nothing. I came home to a four-month-old baby,” said one veteran. “I got off the plane in Washington, the state of Washington, and got on a commercial flight and came home and that was it.”

“When I came home in 1972, I got dropped off at the bus depot in Neenah and I started to walk home by myself and this stranger picked me up and gave me a ride home,” said veteran Thomas Buss. “I was in my uniform.”

On Friday at EAA Airventure, 103 Vietnam veterans finally received their homecoming. It was 50 years delayed.

“It’s the welcome home that I never got,” Buss said.

The group of veterans received the celebration after spending the day in Washington D.C. where they visited the Vietnam War memorials.

On Friday morning, a Yellow Ribbon Honor Flight departed the Wittman Regional Airport in Oshkosh to take them to the nation’s capital.

American Airlines flew the veterans on a plane specially designed for these experiences, staffed with pilots and flight attendants who volunteered their time on their day off to make the trip happen.

One veteran hadn’t been to Washington D.C. since 1966 when he was in high school and before his time in the service.

Others on the trip had never been.

“A lot of guys here that have never been there and seen these memorials before and they just were blown away,” said veteran Thomas Snider.

While on the flight out there, veterans received mail that they could open and read on their way from family, friends, and community members thanking them for their service. For one veteran, the mail call was one of the most emotional parts of the trip.

The once-in-a-lifetime trip was free of charge to the veterans.

Copyright 2023 WBAY. All rights reserved.

pclark

They're Finally Home
GREEN BAY, Wis. (WBAY) - Even after arriving back home, many Vietnam War veterans found that there was no Welcome Home celebration.

“Nothing, nothing. I came home to a four-month-old baby,” said one veteran. “I got off the plane in Washington, the state of Washington, and got on a commercial flight and came home and that was it.”

“When I came home in 1972, I got dropped off at the bus depot in Neenah and I started to walk home by myself and this stranger picked me up and gave me a ride home,” said veteran Thomas Buss. “I was in my uniform.”

On Friday at EAA Airventure, 103 Vietnam veterans finally received their homecoming. It was 50 years delayed.

The group of veterans received the celebration after spending the day in Washington D.C. where they visited the Vietnam War memorials.

On Friday morning, a Yellow Ribbon Honor Flight departed the Wittman Regional Airport in Oshkosh to take them to the nation’s capital.

American Airlines flew the veterans on a plane specially designed for these experiences, staffed with pilots and flight attendants who volunteered their time on their day off to make the trip happen.

One veteran hadn’t been to Washington D.C. since 1966 when he was in high school and before his time in the service.

“A lot of guys here that have never been there and seen these memorials before and they just were blown away,” said veteran Thomas Snider.

While on the flight out there, veterans received mail that they could open and read on their way from family, friends, and community members thanking them for their service. For one veteran, the mail call was one of the most emotional parts of the trip.

Thank you and God Bless all of our Veterans for everything that did to fight and protect our Country.

wiscrev

They're Finally Home

Was on the Honor Flight in May of '19. Awesome experience, even a tear jerker---very moving. 3000 greeted us when we landed in Wausau.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Four Empty Chairs
It's sad to report we had two separate crashes at the EAA AirVenture today. Four dead and two injured that are in Stable Condition. The first was a crash of a T6 Trainer which crashed into Lake Winnebago and the second was a pair of small helicopters that collided in mid-air. Details are still sketchy and both are under investigation by the FAA. With that being said, I've decided to post some pictures of the people that attend our event. Some young, some old, and all making memories they'll remember for the rest of their days!

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

a5.jpg

a6.jpg

a7.jpg

a8.jpg

All the best, from EAA's AirVenture in Oshkosh, Wisconsin

rph130

Thanks for sharing all of the pictures with us Gary. Looks like something I would like to attend in the future.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
This will be my last post on the subject. Gotta tell ya that it's taken me a couple of days to get back to normal following the weeklong activities. It's a good kind of tired but tired, nonetheless. We weathered a couple of storms, a few days of heat and two crashes on the last full day that claimed the lives of 4 people. I'm going to refrain from cliche's, let's just wish the families peace and comfort for now.

The following graphic shows the numbers. We set a new attendance record which broke last year's record, so it shows we're still growing. Some of you commented on the photos I shared and I appreciate the kind words. It's hard to describe if you haven't been there and I hope if you have the slightest interest or curiosity, you'll join us next year. Thank you!

oshkosh.jpg

jshabadu

plane1.jpg

Don't ask me how an American Citizen or Group can purchase a Russian Mig but they did....and it's here in Oshkosh.
This MIG also known as a Flogger, came out in 1983 to counter our F15 Strike Eagle.
I'm thinking Putin is not going to be happy about this....
Just a quick update on this MIG 23. It crashed last Sunday during the Thunder Over Michigan Airshow at Willow Run Airport in Michigan. A total loss, but the pilots ejected and there was no fatalities.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I recall some kind of controversy at this year's EAA. Might have been grounded due to the availability of a Back Seater as they wouldn't let it fly without one. Obviously, they had one at Willow Run as you can see them both eject. Too bad she's just a pile of junk now.

Mig 23 Flogger.jpg

mezz

At 1.4 million. I hope they had good insurance...... Best part of the loss was no loss of life.