Football's Winners & Losers

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought I'd start a thread for the fans of football. Most of us follow the teams in the NFC North, the Big 10 and various college programs in the Midwest. It's all inclusive, from high school to the pro's, if you have thoughts on your team, this is the place to post your thoughts. We'll leave the thread up through the week of the Super Bowl. By then, we'll be well into another snowmobile season and will have other things on our mind.

I'll go first and say, "I'm not impressed by the new regime in Madison". Fickell has done wonders elsewhere, but I don't see any magic yet at Wisconsin. I know it's early but I just don't see anything special against some mediocre teams thus far.

Deion is one of my least favorite football people, but man what a job he's done at Colorado. An annoying ego but he's backed it up with wins with limited resources. Luke Fickell, we're looking at you.

The Packers are a young, talented team. I think Love will be the next franchise quarterback but it's going to take some time and patience. 9-8 or 8-9 for the ceiling this season. Joe Barry has too much talent on defense to lose to an Atlanta team. The team is beginning to look soft with the starters that are missing time. You can't win if your best players are in street clothes. Is it time to move on from Bakhtiari?

eagle1

Yah I don't know what the heck happened to Badgers......that first half was pathetic.
Packers, well sucks they lost but I'm not mad/worried. They have some talent, just too young, so as long as they improve as year goes on they should be fine. Liking rookie Van Ness.

IOWASLEDDER

Yah I don't know what the heck happened to Badgers......that first half was pathetic.
Packers, well sucks they lost but I'm not mad/worried. They have some talent, just too young, so as long as they improve as year goes on they should be fine. Liking rookie Van Ness.
Van Ness was a Hawkeye! With that said, I'm obviously a Iowa Hawkeye fan. All the talk down here is about our offensive coordinator and our inept offense. "The drive for 25" is the motto in that offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz must average 25 points per game this season or else. Now is that the whole team or is it just the offense? Who knows. He's just a complete joke and needs to go. We got former Michigan quarterback Cade McNamara out of the transfer portal and he isn't doing crap because of the play calling. We will not be undefeated at seasons end that for sure! 9-3 or 8-4 is realistic.

Now my Dallas Cowboys are looking real good! The skies the limit. Micah Parsons is an absolute beast!! I'll leave it at that and not try to jinx them. I'm trying so hard not to look ahead and just take it 1 game at a time.........with all the drama that surrounds this team, I'm bound to be disappointed at some point!

Last edited:

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
From ProFootball Talk.....

Bears defensive coordinator Alan Williams has resigned, the team announced this afternoon.

No explanation has been given for the departure of Williams, who has been away from the team for the last week for what were described as personal reasons.

Bears head coach Matt Eberflus called the defensive plays last week against the Buccaneers and indicated today that he plans to do so again on Sunday.

He was the Vikings’ defensive coordinator in 2012 and 2013 and was named the Bears’ defensive coordinator last year.

whitedust

From ProFootball Talk.....

Bears defensive coordinator Alan Williams has resigned, the team announced this afternoon.

No explanation has been given for the departure of Williams, who has been away from the team for the last week for what were described as personal reasons.

Bears head coach Matt Eberflus called the defensive plays last week against the Buccaneers and indicated today that he plans to do so again on Sunday.

He was the Vikings’ defensive coordinator in 2012 and 2013 and was named the Bears’ defensive coordinator last year.
Bears are a certified mess with Fields unhappy with coaching Williams probably on drugs. Bears released Peterman moved Bagent to #2 QB obviously ready to play him if Fields gets hurt or just because.

eagle1

Just seems like too much opportunity for meddling by teams/coaches to lure/bribe kids away from programs.
Then one kid transfers just creates domino effect other want leave. Guess be interesting see how it plays out.

timo

College kids making hundred's of thousands to millions of dollars is why.
Something about a 18 year old making a million dollars playing college ball just seems off.
another thing that will inevitably happen is big time colleges with unlimited alumni and booster money will just squeeze all the other smaller big time colleges out of a competitive field.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
big time colleges with unlimited alumni and booster money will just squeeze all the other smaller big time colleges out of a competitive field.
That's what I've heard also. The Michigan's, Penn State's, USC and Ohio State will have the most to gain with unlimited resources. We may already see the early results of this from the SEC this season. Next year the Big 10 becomes a coast to coast monster with TV Revenue from morning till night. Not much tradition any more and Nike has altered the uniforms so much it's hard to know who's playing.

pclark

Something about a 18 year old making a million dollars playing college ball just seems off.
another thing that will inevitably happen is big time colleges with unlimited alumni and booster money will just squeeze all the other smaller big time colleges out of a competitive field.
Bingo!

acase27

I'll never understand this argument. The kid is generating the school millions of dollars. In return he's getting an education worth $40K. College football hasn't been about higher education in my lifetime. It's about football. And football is the gold mine of college athletics.

The comment about 18 year old's making millions of dollars just comes off as jealousy. The US is supposedly a capitalist society. Being paid for what you're worth is a core tenant of capitalism. Creating laws/rules to limit that, is not capitalism!

It's still early, but I will make the argument that the transfer portal has leveled the playing field. The Alabama's, Michigan's, Ohio State's now will find it harder to hoard talent. You're a really good 4* recruit but you have a 5* in front of you the next 2 years? Transfer to a school that needs you. Now that kid is getting to play and maybe he's brought UP the talent level of the team he transferred to.

A prime example is you had TCU in the national championship last year. Another example of leveling the playing field, 4 of the top 10 teams in the polls currently have TRANSFER QB's.

old abe

I'll never understand this argument. The kid is generating the school millions of dollars. In return he's getting an education worth $40K. College football hasn't been about higher education in my lifetime. It's about football. And football is the gold mine of college athletics.

The comment about 18 year old's making millions of dollars just comes off as jealousy. The US is supposedly a capitalist society. Being paid for what you're worth is a core tenant of capitalism. Creating laws/rules to limit that, is not capitalism!

It's still early, but I will make the argument that the transfer portal has leveled the playing field. The Alabama's, Michigan's, Ohio State's now will find it harder to hoard talent. You're a really good 4* recruit but you have a 5* in front of you the next 2 years? Transfer to a school that needs you. Now that kid is getting to play and maybe he's brought UP the talent level of the team he transferred to.

A prime example is you had TCU in the national championship last year. Another example of leveling the playing field, 4 of the top 10 teams in the polls currently have TRANSFER QB's.
No way can I argue with that. Very good points you posted.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Packers Win! But it was a hard game to watch, ugly at times, and I'm thinking we're in for more of the same in the weeks to come. Ol' Crablegs almost beat us. Detroit is a good team and they'll be here Thursday. Me thinks it's gonna be a bumpy ride this season.

rph130

LaFlower should have taken the easy field goal at the end of the third to put points on the board instead of going for it when the offense was struggling. The Pack looked good in the fourth but without a little bit of luck, (missed field goal) there was a very different ending that was looming.

timo

LaFlower should have taken the easy field goal at the end of the third to put points on the board instead of going for it when the offense was struggling. The Pack looked good in the fourth but without a little bit of luck, (missed field goal) there was a very different ending that was looming.
Without the missed FG and the crab leg kid playing the entire 2nd half could of been a different outcome.
If the Packers weren't down their 4 best players could of been a different outcome.
I agree I would of kicked the FG in that situation.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bears are a certified mess with Fields unhappy with coaching Williams probably on drugs.
The Bears’ very bad week keeps getting worse.

More than $100,000 of equipment was stolen from Soldier Field, according to ABC 7 in Chicago.

The equipment included gators and lawn mowers, and happened overnight Wednesday when someone tore down a security fence to drive the equipment out of a garage.