Forest Co circle tour March 12

snobuilder

It didn't start out to be a 170 mile day,...we were just going to make a 35 mile breakfast run to Argonne and back, but well you know how it goes sometimes.
It started snowing lightly sometime after midnight this morning. Maybe 2" fresh on the ground around 10 AM when we headed out. 3 to 6 predicted into this evening.
After a couple barley pops, a Bloody and some chicken strip at Ed's in Argonne we walked out to the sleds in a now heavier snowfall and decided WTH let's RIDE!
Headed north to Hiles and topped off the tanks. North from there is Forest Co. no mans land (no bars LOL) Our destination was Marhol's Bule River Tap in Nelma. As we rode the snow kept falling at a decent rate and was filling in over the not so good conditions from Saturday. Once on the Three lakes trail system they were AWESOME. At the north end of our Forest Co circle tour we took the long route to the Brule River Tap which included a non scheduled stop at the Elvoy tap for a couple PBR's. Remarkably we were still on schedule and arrived at the BRT around 2:15. A split of the prime rib sandwich and a couple more PBR's fed both of us. Time to start heading back south which included topping off with a couple more PBR's and a few gallons a gas at the Whitetail in Tipler. From their it was a 60 to 70 mph blast down the Nicolet State Trail all the way back to Laona. The top portion of the NST in Florence Co was crap as usual but the south end where the 100 miler club takes over in Forest Co. was ....as always , awesome.

Hats off to the snow gods and the clubs that made this yet another memorable day in my snomodiary.....
BTW 6-7" and still snowing.

It was a great snowmobiling year. We were able to ride on new Years weekend and I think we took our last ride today the 12th of March. But it looks like there is at least one more ridable week left in the Nortwoods for anyone with the itch.

Last edited:

dfattack

Nice to hear you had a great ride today. Sorry to hear Florence section was crap. They usually do a good job in the rest of the county. The northern section of the NST is hit or miss.

snobuilder

Nice to hear you had a great ride today. Sorry to hear Florence section was crap. They usually do a good job in the rest of the county. The northern section of the NST is hit or miss.
Yep hit or miss. Been that way for a decade or so....never any doubt about where the Forest Co line is when heading south on the NST.

dfattack

Yep hit or miss. Been that way for a decade or so....never any doubt about where the Forest Co line is when heading south on the NST.
I don't disagree.

I rode with a Blueox board member a couple weeks ago and he lives by me in Spread Eagle. I will ask him about that section of trail and why it lacks. When we stopped at the whitetail we had a hard time leaving because they recognized him and wanted to know the scoop and ask for more grooming to his place (whitetail).

snobuilder

I don't disagree.

I rode with a Blueox board member a couple weeks ago and he lives by me in Spread Eagle. I will ask him about that section of trail and why it lacks. When we stopped at the whitetail we had a hard time leaving because they recognized him and wanted to know the scoop and ask for more grooming to his place (whitetail).
yea, not to beat them up anymore but north of the Whitetail you can always tell when you leave the Brule river club trails as well. and I wouldn't belabor the issue but it has been like this forever.