Forest County, WI Ride - 12/30

packerlandrider

Just got home from a 120 mile ride from Townsend up to north of Hiles and back. Nearly all of the 100 Miler, LMT, and Black Bear Sportsmen club's trails had been groomed in the past two days, making those trails as good as they possibly could be given the low amount of snow. To echo what has been posted elsewhere on conditions - road and grade trails are good+, with twisty woods trails in fair condition (snow/ice coverage, but lacking snow to fill holes/ruts). Attempted to ride north/west of Hiles but Three Lakes' trails were rough (the most snow yet hadn't been groomed this week) so turned around.

IMG_20161230_100014509[1].jpg IMG_20161230_103139902[1].jpg IMG_20161230_110150928[1].jpg IMG_20161230_113144135[1].jpg IMG_20161230_141915431[1].jpg

tsg

400 miles since last THursday and Friday and trails in Northern Oconto and Forest County TRails are 99%, Snow conditions are not the best but trails are awesome.

eagle1

Thanks for info.
Really hope this area gets snow Mon/tue. Hoping to get up and finally ride on Wednesday.

eagle1

Hope Forest Co. Is getting lots of snow. Any reports?
Would like to ride this Thursday. Anybody want ride?

Was there last weekend.
roads were good. anything in the woods had lots of stones. Was better south. LMT trails were good. Pickerel Tombstone trails were good. Stones also in some areas.
This snow should solve all trail issues:)

tsg

All clubs in Forest, Florence, and Northern Oconto counties out grooming new snow from yesterday. All should be really good! Heading up tonight to my cottage there but heading further north to UP for a few days. Regardless of what others have said, posted, etc...., I have ridden over 500+ miles thus far in Forest, Florence, and Northern Oconto counties and trails have been wayyyy better then expected.

ridindirty800

Thanks TSG thinking about heading to my Cabin in Florence Co. Always love riding there, usually low traffic and and great trails!

dfattack

Thanks TSG thinking about heading to my Cabin in Florence Co. Always love riding there, usually low traffic and and great trails!

Leaving in a couple hours myself. Just saw Florence county was upp'd to 3-6" today from 2-4".

Last edited:
Will be up again Friday. Only was giving truthful report of all the trails I was riding.
As I posted all trail issues will be solved with the new snow.
Please ride safe.
As a safety instructor the kids I brought up could not believe all the people that ride beyond their control when meeting on trail. They had an eye opener.

1fujifilm

Will be up again Friday. Only was giving truthful report of all the trails I was riding.
As I posted all trail issues will be solved with the new snow.
Please ride safe.
As a safety instructor the kids I brought up could not believe all the people that ride beyond their control when meeting on trail. They had an eye opener.

Rode out of Townsend to Lily to White Lake to Carter and Nicolet loop today at 7 am til 1 pm.
Outstanding snow and trail conditions until 11 am, then they were some good on the back trails but grade was on its way to being shot. I was surprised that they actually got a foot in the past week.

Bear

1fujifilm

Rode out of Townsend to Lily to White Lake to Carter and Nicolet loop today at 7 am til 1 pm.
Outstanding snow and trail conditions until 11 am, then they were some good on the back trails but grade was on its way to being shot. I was surprised that they actually got a foot in the past week.

Bear

Did another 140 miles today before the big warm up; trail 8 outta Lakewood to crooked lake, Lily, Carter etc. All trails nice, smooth and fast. Low traffic compared to Saturday as Packer fans went home early
Bear

packerlandrider

Jim from the 100 Miler just updated that he was able to get out and groom this morning and reports thin, but good trails still remain. Guessing the 3-6 inches forecasted will do wonders for this area.

sjb

Jim from the 100 Miler just updated that he was able to get out and groom this morning and reports thin, but good trails still remain. Guessing the 3-6 inches forecasted will do wonders for this area.

Looking to do maybe a quick day trip on Sunday with my son. What would be the furthest south one could drop?

packerlandrider

Hard to say at this point - from what I can find only the 100 Miler has attempted to groom in the last day or so. However, a couple other clubs (Dun-good, Red Arrow) hint that the majority of their base is surviving, and that with 2-4 inches they could at least get out and groom them into rideable shape by the weekend.

Banks93

Looking to do maybe a quick day trip on Sunday with my son. What would be the furthest south one could drop?

I wouldn't drop any lower than Lakewood unless we get 4"+ then you probably would be good in Chute Pond, Suring, or Mountain.