Fuel Additive - Carbon Build-Up

coach

Any suggestions would be appreciated.....I have a 2015 Cadillac Escalade with 42,000 highway miles on the odometer. Since new, it's been in the dealer's shop five times with the Check Engine light on.

The dealer's mechanic told me it's the carbon build-up on the fuel injectors that's causing the problem ( four have been replaced so far under warranty) He did not suggest any particular additive but I'm sure someone out there will have a good suggestion on what to use.

Thanks in advance

dofo1

I am partial to Seafoam or Techron but there are many others. It is strange that you are having this issue with that low miles, is this your primary driver or is it sitting a lot? If sitting you might see if you can find non-ethanol premium to use.

Last edited:

coach

Thanks. I will try Techron. I only use premium fuel when in Wisconsin but non-ethenol premium isn't available in Illinois. Yes, it does sit a lot because it isn't my primary vehicle. Interestingly, the engine has a lot of power and it runs great. Just frustrating that the check engine light keeps coming on.

heckler56

Techron. Put it in, run it, let it sit. Basically burn the first tank on and off over a couple of days. Second tank put it in and run some highway miles.

If your buying premium from tier 1 gas stations (Shell, BP, Kwik Trip, etc), your fuel should have good additives. My son’s old BMV had only Shell premium and the block removed at 120k miles - pristine inside.

eao

.....►P.i. Performance Improver Gasoline Additive

Maximum Deposit Clean-Up
AMSOIL P.i. features aggressive additives that attack the most common forms of engine deposits and limit their effects.
Removes Fuel Injector Deposits

P.i. removes stubborn deposits and keeps injectors functioning as they should. Testing shows P.i. restored GDI fuel injectors to a 100 percent flow rate after one tank of fuel.[SUP]2[/SUP]

P.i. helps keep valves clean and moving freely.

• Restores power and performance
  • Reduces need for costly higher-octane fuel
  • Reduces noise from carbon rap and pre-ignition
  • Controls pre-ignition "knock"
  • Improves fuel economy
  • Capless compatible
spray.jpg

snowfish

I have a feeling that it's AFM, active fuel management, related. Would be interesting to see if the 4 injectors are the ones that are always getting turned on and off.
AFM is known to cause more problems than is solves. Carbon build up could be one of them.

Some reading can be found here.

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/search/29774691/?q=afm&o=relevance

And a popular solution can be found here.

https://rangetechnology.com/afm-disabler/

Of course an occasional Italian tune up always does wonders for carbon build up. Ha!