Future of snowmobiling in Michigan!

slednek

With the wonderful governor signing this legislation, what will happen to our winter/summer pastime? https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...governor-whitmer-signs-legislation-that-sets/

Not too many electric sleds in the works as far as I know - I have heard of a few, but nothing lasting. How many of the current fueling places are going to pony up for the charging stations and can the infrastructure handle it?

I don't want to get all political, just a serious discussion.

pclark

Yeah, I can't see the Northwoods putting charging stations at bars either, establishments have a hard enough time trying to make it as it is.

euphoric1

We cannot deny that the "climate" or "weather patterns" are changing but it can be proven scientifically that as far back as we are able to show through records and through the history of the world itself that both have changed countless times and guess what, long before the consumption of fossil fuels were ever even a wet dream. should we clean up the environment? absolutely, haven't we been doing this already for decades? and guess what? according to the "experts" we are still headed in the wrong direction at an accelerated rate. Im sorry but for as much as we have done so far it would lead to tell me we CANT control or CHANGE the climate and for those who think we can...take a look at the climate history of the world and explain that to me. And do any of these people who are signing these bills even have a clue not only what it will take to reach that goal? if its even remotely possible and how we are going to generate the energy and what it could possibly do to the environment? What about all these rockets we blast into space? an almost daily occurrence, what are they doing to the o-zone layer as they burn through? what of all the "space junk" that now surrounds the planet? has there been any long term research on what the refraction of all of these solar panels will do eventually to the environment? the truth is we think we have all the answers but we have absolutely no idea whatsoever.
What is the future of snowmobiling in Michigan? what is the future of it anywhere? how will we replace gas stations with charging stations when sometimes you pull up and there are 20 - 30 or more waiting at the pump? who will pay for the infrastructure just to bring the power in, let alone the charging stations? how many will they have to put in to make a day of trail riding even viable? When you stop at a bar or restaurant will you have to sign in and reserve a post at a charging station? that one hour lunch/rest/warm up stop could turn into multiple hours and how will that work? what about the big powder riders or boondockers? I don't see how it will be possible, will it end or change an industry? could actually do both, with the lessening amount of people in the sport due to expense and weather already, I could see it chasing even more people away from snowmobiling which in the end could put an end to it. Do we need to clean up the environment? yes but there are greater threats and easier clean ups that need to be done and are easier that eliminating fossil fuels. I for one am not in the least bit excited about a battery powered world, none of it impresses me and I've said it before....I am glad I'm on the downhill slide of life on this rock, the future scares me way more than it impresses me.

Hoosier

and I've said it before....I am glad I'm on the downhill slide of life on this rock, the future scares me way more than it impresses me.

I'm my mid-40's now - it won't be long before my kids are grown and I'll have more free time, and it seems that that will be just at the time the fun police take away all the things I like to do...

Realistically though this will all blow up as you can't legislate technology into existence.

danbell

I'm my mid-40's now - it won't be long before my kids are grown and I'll have more free time, and it seems that that will be just at the time the fun police take away all the things I like to do...

Realistically though this will all blow up as you can't legislate technology into existence.
' You can't legislate technology into existence' - I love that comment.

The move to electric everything is in it's infancy and won't mature overnight. With time the technology, infrastructure and such will come along. Those gas stations throughout the northwoods were not invested in and dropped in place at the first thought of a gas snowmobile. They were put there when the highways and cars drove the demand, for those living and visiting those areas (now the gas pumps at bars/hotels etc were added for snowmobiles, but only more recently). Did the first snowmobiles have gas tanks and engines that could put on 200+ miles a day, probably not. The technology improved to get us where we are today with gas engine driven machine, and with time, investment and some good engineering minds it will get us there with electric battery machines too.

whitedust

All the snowmobile OEMs are dabbling in electric powered snowmobiles. They could easily switch to electric from ice but know the infrastructure and battery technology is not ready. Electric will take time no matter the mandate so I just laugh at these lines drawn in the sand and don’t pay them any mind. The free market ain’t buying EVs why would mandates make any difference?

pclark

' You can't legislate technology into existence' - I love that comment.

The move to electric everything is in it's infancy and won't mature overnight. With time the technology, infrastructure and such will come along. Those gas stations throughout the northwoods were not invested in and dropped in place at the first thought of a gas snowmobile. They were put there when the highways and cars drove the demand, for those living and visiting those areas (now the gas pumps at bars/hotels etc were added for snowmobiles, but only more recently). Did the first snowmobiles have gas tanks and engines that could put on 200+ miles a day, probably not. The technology improved to get us where we are today with gas engine driven machine, and with time, investment and some good engineering minds it will get us there with electric battery machines too.
These are all great points. I am not against EV's of any sort but please, please, please have some sort of plan before you just pull the trigger and start demanding that people make the switch. as you explained very well, it just doesn't work that way.