Future of snowmobiling in Michigan!

lofsfire

This is the greatest statement I have heard recently!!!!
Yeah, but they will try!

"Just do as I say, don't worry about what I do!"

We all wondered where the Wicked Witch of the East went...
pPWNKv.gif

I'm fairly sure we know now!

Also, I wonder if she has gotten rid of that nasty oil-burning yacht she owns. Of course, just like the lockdowns, there are different rules for her. Like her husband making a "bad joke" out of asking for the boat in the water by Memorial Day...

old abe

It was better in the 80's and 90's
Yes the further you go back the better the wide spread snow needed for snowmobiling. The areas out side of the snow belt now days are so unreliable you can't plan trips other than spur of the moment, and pull the trigger. This will be my 56th year at snowmobiling, and the good riding, snow conditions, areas are slim, few, and far between. Not the generally good snow, riding conditions, I grew up with. However as it's said, times change. I will be spending more time riding in Canada. But I will still be wishing for, and remembering my favorite riding areas in the western half of Sconny. There was nothing better in my book. Sadly so it is.

buddah2

Just think...I read in SnowTech that someone already has an electric snowmobile...perfect for rental tours etc with it's 60 km range (that's slightly less than 34 mi)......Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffft !!!!!

euphoric1

Just think...I read in SnowTech that someone already has an electric snowmobile...perfect for rental tours etc with it's 60 km range (that's slightly less than 34 mi)......Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffft !!!!!
could you imagine?? that would be the end of back pack trips, 100+ mile trail rides, jam ups at charging stations. That would be the end of the sport for me and Id be willing to bet for other than the techies who think this shit is cool it would be the end of an industry and businesses who rely on the sport. What would happen as well if you had a break down and had to tow out of the woods, that 34 mile duration would be what? maybe 6 and then you wouldn't have enough power to get back to a vehicle, to come get your buddy. this just seems even less feasible or viable than the auto industry and you have them saying we are no where near being ready for it. Do you think there will be a government subsidy for e-sleds? LOL...after all there are so many who rely on the sport.

Last edited:

dfattack

I'm so tired of talking about electric this or that. Power tools fine, vehicles to go get groceries or hair salon for the wife, fine. But that's it! Although I think a hybrid side by side would be cool. I want to sneak up on wildlife. The engines in side by sides are so loud you can't really sneak up on anything. I'm not a hunter but you would think a hunter would like to go to the stand in battery mode and gas on the way out. Make sense? Again not a hunter so maybe I'm wrong.

mezz

I'm so tired of talking about electric this or that. Power tools fine, vehicles to go get groceries or hair salon for the wife, fine. But that's it! Although I think a hybrid side by side would be cool. I want to sneak up on wildlife. The engines in side by sides are so loud you can't really sneak up on anything. I'm not a hunter but you would think a hunter would like to go to the stand in battery mode and gas on the way out. Make sense? Again not a hunter so maybe I'm wrong.
I don't know if they still do or not, but, Textron had been making them for quite a while, in fact, they were doing strickly battery powered sxs then began battery & ice combos which allow the hunter to travel further under ice power then convert to battery power for silent travel when close to their hunting area. I think they put out their first all ice sxs in 2017 of which I happen to own, 900 twin, quite a torque monster, pushes snow like a dozer & built like a tank. FWIW, it's not too loud either, however, not ultra quiet like an ev.

dfattack

I don't know if they still do or not, but, Textron had been making them for quite a while, in fact, they were doing strickly battery powered sxs then began battery & ice combos which allow the hunter to travel further under ice power then convert to battery power for silent travel when close to their hunting area. I think they put out their first all ice sxs in 2017 of which I happen to own, 900 twin, quite a torque monster, pushes snow like a dozer & built like a tank. FWIW, it's not too loud either, however, not ultra quiet like an ev.
Nice! I would consider one of them. Thanks for the information.

old abe

We bought a new midsize Poo Ranger back in 2010 for farm use. The midsize was chosen as we could load it into a full size pickup box. No need to trailer. They, Poo, had just introduced a fully electric version of the midsize Ranger. However none were available as various state DNR's had them all spoken for. The dealer had a demo so we gave it a spin, and very surprised as it was very, very snappy. I can't remember for sure, but it seems that Jim said E-UTV had a 50 to 60 mile range? I haven't followed how well they worked out overall, but some DNR districts are using them at public hunting areas? The tech has to be so much better today.