gas in cylinder

02edgehead

i have an 02 polaris edge 600 and noticed the last two times i started it cold it seemed hard to pull over and then took several pulls to get started. when it did start it ran on one cylinder for a little and then it was fine all day. i suspected gas in the cylinder so i took plugs out and pulled it over and i got a lot of gas out of one side. i had gone through carbs earlier this season and it was fine then. just wondering what needs to be done???

Is there any gas coming out of the overflow? Usually it comes out there. Replace spark plugs and compression check cylinders oh and check that the choke isnt sticking. All that checks out rebuild carbs and sync.

snoluver1

i suspected gas in the cylinder so i took plugs out and pulled it over and i got a lot of gas out of one side.

Gas in the cylinder?? Well geez, I sure hope so!! Kinda hard to make an explosion without gas in the cylinder.....:)

All kidding aside, It sounds to me like a classic case of fouled plug syndrome. Number one rule, start with the simple stuff first! You could very well have a float hanging up or leaking needle and seat, but I would start with a fresh set of plugs and see what happens. If the plug is fouled, you will most definitely get un-burnt fuel pumping out of the cylinder when you pull it over.

snake

i have an 02 polaris edge 600 and noticed the last two times i started it cold it seemed hard to pull over and then took several pulls to get started. when it did start it ran on one cylinder for a little and then it was fine all day. i suspected gas in the cylinder so i took plugs out and pulled it over and i got a lot of gas out of one side. i had gone through carbs earlier this season and it was fine then. just wondering what needs to be done???

which cylinder? I believe that sleds fuel pump pulse line comes off mag side of crankcase=if it's mag side giving you trouble,that would be the first thing I would look at!

02edgehead

ok. im pretty sure plugs arent going to fill the cylinder full of gas. it starts fine all day and runs great. it only does it if it sits for a day or longer. it was the clutch side that had gas in it. i took carbs apart and checked floats and everything seemed fine so i put back on and will check tomorrow

ridehard

I believe your problem is the o-ring that is under your needle and seat. If you have the flat slide carbs like I did this may be your problem. I fought this battle also and it took a while to figure it out.
Take your seat out of the carb there is a o-ring under there. If it looks bad and does not seem to compress when the seat is put in it is probably leaking thru there. You cannot just buy the O-ring from from polaris your have to buy the float assembly for $140. Screw that I bought a pack of 25 of them for $20 from an industrial supply store. These are the viton material o-rings that are supposed to resist gas. I still have some if interested. I fixed mine 3 years ago and still no problems.

cwl611

turn the gas shut off valve off when done riding for the day and when trailering. Told by a Poo mechanic this is a common problem with Poo's . Mine was a 500 Classic

anonomoose

While CW has the easiest fix for the problem....looks like RideHard has the real solution. Those o-rings are gett'n old don't yah know?

Loosen up the carb and pull it away from the engine a bit but leave it hooked up, put a paper towel below it and see if it gets wet in a few hours....then when it is all wet, replace the o-ring and do the test again. If it stays dry, be sure you didn't run the tank dry:mad: assuming you didn't, bolt it back on and run with it.

ridehard

I had to do exactly what CWL611 said until I figured it out. But if you forget it will be flooded. The needle keeps the gas from coming thru the jet seat when closed and the o-ring keeps the gas from coming around the seat thru the threads. It will also run better when you fix this and sit there and idle like it should.

02edgehead

so i took the carbs apart and checked the floats and checked the o-rings. everything looked fine. i put them back together and now i have no gas leaking through. is this a temporary fix or do you think i should still have the o-rings and needles replaced?

ridehard

Try it like it is for a while you may have just reseated the o-ring and that may be enough to seal it off for a while. If it starts to leak again I can probably mail 2 O-rings to you for $5. My o-rings looked good also but they shrank up a little and the compression needed to seal it off was not there. Probably shrank up from alcohol in the gas. I did not replace my needles I think it comes all together with the floats and like I said they are $140.

Last edited: