Gas MPG for '99 Chevy 3500 Dually w/454 7.4L

skeedoo

I just bought low mile, mint condition 1999 Chevy 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually with the 7.4 liter 454 engine off of a friends parents. Here's my question... What kind of gas milage should I expect from this truck. My guess is anywhere from 8-12 MPG. I'm wondering about towing mileage versus non-towing mileage too. Any thoughts?

Dave_B

Usually, when one buys a truck like that, gas mileage is something that you probably don't want to think about. :)

You're probably right on with your estimate though.

arcticman

no difference towing or not towing had similar truck for business 10 miles a gallon unless driving over seventy mph.

srt20

I just bought low mile, mint condition 1999 Chevy 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually with the 7.4 liter 454 engine off of a friends parents. Here's my question... What kind of gas milage should I expect from this truck. My guess is anywhere from 8-12 MPG. I'm wondering about towing mileage versus non-towing mileage too. Any thoughts?

Jeez dont bring that thing to WI, I need gas left for my sleds....haha j/k I have a v-10 class A motorhome that gets 5-8 mpgs depending on the winds.

L

lenny

a 99 in mint, post a pic, love to see that. I always liked those rigs

cmharcou

We towed a dozer with a 1 ton 454 from Michigan to Central Indiana one year and we never passed a gas station! I'm thinking 5 maybe 6mpg if your going down hill. I could only get 9 out of my Hemi, no way are you getting 11-12. I switched over and got a Cummins and get 21-22 highway and when I am towing to michigan with a 33 foot 4 place I got 14.

bearmeister

There's a reason why those rigs have a 43 gal gas tank. If possible, they'd be equiped for in transit fueling similiar to fighter jets :)