Gaylord...the good, the bad, and the ugly!

shrek

I have been going to the Gaylord, MI area for over 15 years. There are a lot of things I like about the area, the people, the restaurants, the scenery on the various trails.
However, there seems to be a problem with the quality of the trails, which appears to be directly related to the grooming. I have heard all the excuses from low snow to high traffic. Although I realize that these factors have to be taken into consideration, I feel they are being used to often as a crutch and the real issues are not being addressed. These same excuses were used in the Munising area for years and they had the same bad trail condition problem that is seen too often in Gaylord.
There are clues that the issue could be related to the lack of Grooming. One: Waitress's at local restaurants stating that they cant remember the last time they saw a groomer. Two: Never seeing a groomer on the trail while riding. I was recently up in the area for four days and only ran into three groomers the entire time...and those groomers were from adjacent clubs...not Gaylord. 3: This is a problem every year, year after year, no matter how much snow or how much traffic.
I find myself asking how can one club get it right and another so wrong? I can't tell you how many times I have said "I'm never going back there again" and I inevitably end up going back...heck, maybe I am the problem...I keep going back even when I know its going to be bad.
I wouldn't complain if I thought that there was nothing that could be done. I think the problem can be fixed, I don't have the exact answer, but I believe in the area and the people and I know it can be better. Maybe they need an intervention like they had to do in Munising. The new plan there seems to have worked...maybe it would work in Gaylord.

POLARISDAN

I have been going to the Gaylord, MI area for over 15 years. There are a lot of things I like about the area, the people, the restaurants, the scenery on the various trails.
However, there seems to be a problem with the quality of the trails, which appears to be directly related to the grooming. I have heard all the excuses from low snow to high traffic. Although I realize that these factors have to be taken into consideration, I feel they are being used to often as a crutch and the real issues are not being addressed. These same excuses were used in the Munising area for years and they had the same bad trail condition problem that is seen too often in Gaylord.
There are clues that the issue could be related to the lack of Grooming. One: Waitress's at local restaurants stating that they cant remember the last time they saw a groomer. Two: Never seeing a groomer on the trail while riding. I was recently up in the area for four days and only ran into three groomers the entire time...and those groomers were from adjacent clubs...not Gaylord. 3: This is a problem every year, year after year, no matter how much snow or how much traffic.
I find myself asking how can one club get it right and another so wrong? I can't tell you how many times I have said "I'm never going back there again" and I inevitably end up going back...heck, maybe I am the problem...I keep going back even when I know its going to be bad.
I wouldn't complain if I thought that there was nothing that could be done. I think the problem can be fixed, I don't have the exact answer, but I believe in the area and the people and I know it can be better. Maybe they need an intervention like they had to do in Munising. The new plan there seems to have worked...maybe it would work in Gaylord.

Not trying to be mean..but if u keep going back its on u..gran marias fkd me once and only once..no time or pafience for that ..winding down many weeks of excellent trails UP here in mass.. The only place I travel to in MI is Mass.. Too many problems like ura elsewhere.. Ha sent had butna trail or 2 that was bad

shrek

That's not mean at all...it's the truth...partly. I prefer to ride the UP and will go any time that I get the chance. Sometimes I only have time for a quick trip and Gaylord is a short drive.
I would think that Gaylord would like to have a product they could be proud of. I cant believe that I am the only one who feels this way, everyone was complaining about it when I was in the area.
My purpose for the post was an attempt to bring attention to the problem in that area, so that someone with the power to do something about it could.

macker

I gave up on riding that area, as well as Grayling, Kalkaska, Cadillac, etc Thursday thru Monday. Mid week is generally a lot better, but even then we have switched to other spots. Can't beat the UP, but it is unreasonable to not be able to find some quality trails down here.

woodside

A suggestion.

Maybe it would help if you contacted the club directly. Not sure how much good complaining on a message board will do.