Gene, (Bingo) Has Passed

favoritos

He passed away last evening.

It is hard to imagine how many people he touched over the years. He had a heart and character that affected anyone that met him. God used a little extra effort on Gene and it showed.
There are quite a few stories and memories over the years at Bingo's. His subtle humor filled many lives with a good laugh. It was normal to just a little better after spending time around Gene.

He will be missed.

Highflyer

Is this the guy who owned the Bingo motel in Wakefield? Didn't know him but stayed at the Bingo one time on a memorable trip.

nytro_rtx

Me and a buddy stopped by Bingo's one day and there were no lights on and looked to be closed so as we sat there deciding what to do around the corner came Bingo and said, "can I help you guys"? So, we asked if he was open or opening up soon and he just asked us "do you want me to be"? LOL We of course said yes and went in and enjoyed his stories for quite a while!! I always made it a point to stop in and see him at least 1 time every winter!! Great guy and a great place!!

favoritos

Thanks for posting the link @eao .

The obituary tells a good part of what is was like to meet the man. (Char too.)
The sign quote is very telling and true.
"You are a stranger here, but once,"

@nytro_rtx , That sounds exactly like Gene. He would do a lot more than open the doors for strangers. Had to be one of the most giving people I've ever met.
His stories were something too. :) I'm sure that a bunch of them were because of yahoos like us sledders, travelers, hunters, and anyone else, that just ended up there somehow.

jmvette427

@nytro_rtx "You are a stranger here, but once, "That sounds exactly like Gene. He would do a lot more than open the doors for strangers. Had to be one of the most giving people I've ever met. EXACTLY! New years eve 1991 my Exciter burns a piston down the trail from his place. We tow to him and my family and group hunker down at the bar . Gene says you can use my shop if you like. Me and my bud drag sled in shop rip apart and Immediately we get on the phone and try to locate parts. Long story short , Gene let us use his tools, shop, heat, light and anything else we wanted . The shop was an old Hudson or Studebaker dealer. We came back on new years day and put back together and saved our trip. Gene didnt want a dime for shop tool use . I gave him $200 he repeatedly refused but I was able to get him to finally take it. GREAT MAN GREAT MEMORIES! RIP GENE