General Carbide information

luke_duke

Bergstrom Triple Points- Best I have ever used. I would talk to the Dave and he will tell you what you need for your sled.

G

G

snowfish - It has been awhile but I think about 5/8 of an inch. Screw them to the rubber thingy with stainless screws so they don't fall out.

harvest1121

Here is a picture of the shim in a ski already. Its not very thick.

120764.jpg

G

G

snowfish - like i said it has been awhile. Screw the shim to the ski and not the rubber thingy. Sorry. The purpose here is to tip the front of the ski at least level or down from its normal stock position. I would think this would change from brand to brand. The sled I did it to was an '07 Yami Vector. 5/8 got me level on that model.

whitedust

Wags: Bergstrom triple points the best performance on stock Yam skis by far. I used stud boy shaper bars & was NOT impressed. I will only use Bergstrom triple points all the rest second rate.

G

G

Dabs - Harvest is right. I am sorry for my mis-speak. As I said it has been awhile. Level is what you are after. Also allow for a little compression of the rubber stoppers.
Most of the talk surrounding ski shimming involves Yami sleds. For many years the general feeling has been that Yami skis just plain suck. It is true that a person can get rid of many of the ill handling characteristics of the stock skis by putting on just about any aftermarket ski. However this really isn't necessary unless you are really hard core.
Yami has spent a lot of time and testing on their front ends as far as spindle angle, spindle placement and everything else that goes together with an A-arm front end. Keep in mind Artic Cat has been constantly changing their AFS front end since the 90's. Right now it is a pretty good front end. Yami just got going with it in '03 with the RX1. I'm sure that Yami is aware of the bitches related to their skis. It is a source of constant conversation on Totallyamaha as well as this site. I believe that the reason they don't change their ski design is that Yami doesn't think the skis are the problem. It is more the angle of attack that causes the dancing and drifting than the actual ski itself. Yami is just like the other mfgs in that when they sell you a new sled they give you just barely enough front carbide to get out the door. After that it is up to the individual to get it set up the way they want. For a lot of Yami applications it helps to shim the skis. It is a simple and cheap solution. After that just about any choice of front carbide will work fine for groomed trail use. There must be applications where the stock ski angle is useful. Keep in mind these sleds are sold all over the world and I doubt that there are very many other places that have thousands of miles of groomed trails to ride on.

Hoosier

Scott Bergstrom recommended the shims to me also to remedy the hard turning on my 06 Fusion 600. I haven't put them on yet, but I'm excited to see how they work this year. Also bought the 6" carbides to go along with it. Bergstrom told me that new skis or spindles would be a waste of money for me at least for trail riding.

Hoosier

He didn't charge me for the shims either (of course I bought the carbides). And the ski savers were thrown in also.

luke_duke

My bad on the name.<font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font> is Scott. I think that was my 6th mistake I made now in my life.

michiganmtncat

I have always run six inch dooly carbides and love them, but as much as you guys are talkin up these triple points i might have to check it out.

snowshoe

After reading all the posts here I decided on the bergstroms. I sent an email a week ago and havent heard back yet. I'm assuming maybe he was just out hunting or something. Anyone else hear from them lately?

whitedust

Keep calling until you get Scott. If you email him give him a number to call you. Always tough to run him down so just stay after him. This is the norm but worth it.

snowshoe

Thanks for the info. I'm a computer guy and it's always easier to send an email versus calling for me. I'll give him a call.

frnash

<font color="0000ff">snowshoe:
"…it's always easier to send an email versus calling for me."</font>
Yes to that. Asynchronous communications, with a written record, no less; sure beats either telephone tag or voice mail!

latner

I sent him an e-mail order (twice) mid-Oct. and still haven't heard from him...bought from him last year with no problems!?

Hoosier

Gotta call him. I didn't get an email response either. I was on the website last weekend and I think he said there are two different email addresses on the site, only one works. He was very helpful over the phone. I put the carbides and the shims on this weekend. Can't wait to try them out.