Generator question

Well, we missed the blizzard of the century, but we did get ice, sleet and a large power outage. My generator has been running since 3am and I`m just wondering how long it can run non-stop, without blowing up? Probably shut it down shortly just to check the oil.
It`s a kohler. Guessing from the `70s, runs off natural gas, and after it has been running for a while it needs the plug changed before it will restart.

mikeh906

Try Kohlers web site, or call them in mn. I ran my kohler 4000 as long as I wanted, they have a low oil shut off sensor. Normally we would run it to charge the motorhome batts. to run lights. But if we needed ac we ran it for days. In your case run it long enough to maintain fridge and heat. Try to use dc or gas lights. Ours was, gasoline so not sure why your plug is fouling.

well I found the extra plug, so I shut it down long enough to check the oil,quart low, and check it over, two bracket bolts broke. It fired right back up and so far so good.
As far as the plugs go the guy that used to tend to the generator for the previous homeowner, told me about the new plug every time. It was still hot and fired right back up.

Had a few burps and hiccups along the way. I am guessing there must be a little dirt or debris in the line, but other than that it ran smooth and kept the furnace and the fridge going so all is good. Power has been restored and mama bear is once again happy!

I would think that it would have a continuous duty rating, especially since it is a diesel. You should be able to run that for extended periods of time....