Generator

joks79

John,
What size generator did you go with for your back-up? I'm thinking of adding one. I'm tired of the outages too! Another one for 6 hours this morning.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
John,
What size generator did you go with for your back-up? I'm thinking of adding one. I'm tired of the outages too! Another one for 6 hours this morning.

I have a 17kW unit. It has been wired so that all circuits will work and will hold a load (as long as we are not using both electric ovens, drier a bunch of AC's). Have not had to rely on it yet, but will someday and no longer have any worry about strong winds and or heavy/wet snow!

If you get one and just want to wire specific circuits, I have a 100amp transfer switch that came with the unit that I did not use because I wired everything into the 200amp. It has 16 circuits and is nearly ideal to this one: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...ci_sku=37846&gclid=CKedkuLnh8ICFcoRMwodgk4Ayg

I am willing to part with it for a killer price!

-John

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Subbed it out. I wired all of the shop and house circuits as well as the mains for them, but this was a totally different animal. I am not sure if you can even do it yourself, as you need to call Generac for a startup code and I thought I remembered the installer saying that they will only give it to professionals who are setup with Generac to do it. I could be wrong on that, but if you are planning to do it yourself, I would check first.

-John