Getting back into sledding after 20 + years....need advice

One suggestion, if you buy a used sled with a carburetor, or one with powervalves, have them cleaned before you take your first ride. Nothing more frustrating than a sled that won't start in the garage or out on the trail. Help your buddies maintain their suspensions and ask them to help you with yours -- you'll learn faster.

mjkaliszak

"Also a little heavier for your 50 year old body to dig out should you encounter operator error"

Could I ( 1 who has been stuck many times )suggest maybe a couple of "young guns" to ride with you. Also .... for what's it's worth I always blame it on my vision. ( LOL ) Honestly ,you should find a club or a couple of old friends that still ride, they should be able to help you out with sled choice and getting a fair deal. Most of the friends I have at this point in my life are long term snowmobiliers. They all seem to keep up on what the technology changes are with brand to brand. If you get close to buying a machine and still want some free input, post it here with a pic and ask what people think of your deal before you buy.You are alway's welcome to e-mail my profile address and ask a "what do I think" question. It would be my pleasure to help out someone looking to enjoy snowmobiling. I'll only admit to knowing a little ! If you look vigorously enough you should be able to pic something up that is worthwhile.

jimfsr

I wouldnt even consider a non-rider forward chassis. I will never ride the "old" chassis sleds again. Believe me, your back will thank you if you get a REV or one of the copycat sleds from the other guys that are rider forward.

mjkaliszak

I concur, I won't get into brand specifics but they are the most confortable. I have 3 rider forwards by 3 diff brands. My body can't take the low rider beatings anymore.

polarisrider1

It's great for the heart. I prefer 10,400 ft. above sea level to get a full work out. I figure if a am going to have a heart attack, Why not, have one doing what I Love. I must have a good ticker or I would've been gone long ago. Hang in there Michaelbbb start out trail riding.

michaelbbbb

The comments are appreciated, even the ones about "old guys"...so here's what I'm taking away from this so far:
-my reading and conversations from this past year agree with what everyone here is saying.
-I'm going to take advice from and ride with my buddies that are already into it.
-I've boosted my budget up to the $4k range to get more sled out of the gate.
-narrowed down to 4 different 136" sleds: Ski-Doo Renegade 600 SDI, Polaris Switchback 600, Sabercat 600 EFI or Yamaha RS Rage. I'm finding quite a few of these in the approx. '05 model year vintage that are coming close enough to my $$ budget to give me some hope that I'll find a machine in time to hit the trails when snow flies. Thanks again everybody.
So.....anybody got one of those they wanna part with???

jimfsr

Might have a 05 renegade 600 SDI. No studs. ridden by 55 yr old guy. Always professionally summerized and pre-season checked out. He never skimped on any maint. He is a member of our snow club in Byron Center, Mi Near Grand Rapids. I will check and see if he still has it and for how much.

dab102999

There are a few good deals on the classifieds here, also I notices on sled swap a GSX (I think a 06 or 08) for under $4 with less then 1700 miles. Guy had a few sleds and a trailer for sale so I would guess he is getting out..

michaelbbbb

whitedust, you and my neighbor must be on same page....he runs a ski-doo 05 renegade, and said same things...If I want Cat or Yam, I need to get into newer models to get anything that resembles are rider forward design...plus i've been hearing that the Rage is not exactly a great handling machine.
BTW, how new do I need to get with the Polaris Switchback to get into a rider forward chassis?

also, thanks for leads on sleds for sale,
thanks,
Mike

whitedust

Not sure about Polaris Switchback as Fusion (Rider Forward) was introduced in 05. Fusion 900 & 755 were awful & Poo discontinued....stay away from them. 06 Yamaha Attack would be a good RF sled for you. 06 Rage still sit down but at least had mono RA. Rev Gade 600 or 800 best choice if you like 2s but rings & cranks could be costly. Unfortunaley I have been there on doo 800 crank & rings. I would look for a good 06 Attack GT best RF bang for buck & you will stay with that sled for a few yeras or go Gade & hope for best but a gamble 2s engine will hold up. Try Kip at Pat's & Chad at M&M listed on JD both really good dealers.

snoeatr

Just found a 05 Polaris 600 Switchback on chicago craigslist posted on the 23rd. Its in Elgin, Il only 1.5 hrs from Madison. Check it out looks nice although not rider forward. $3500

luke_duke

You are spot on with wanting a Rider Forward sled. I am a Arctic Cat guy but from reading your post(and your wants and needs), I would buy a 04 or 05 Ski-Doo. Just make sure all the updates and ring replacements were done. A guy in our group had a 2005 that was a great handling trail sled and was very fast. I think he sold it for $4,000 and it had high miles last year. I believe it was a stock 600 MXZ Adrenaline H.O. I will repeat, it was a dam good sled and that is what I would get if I were you. 2007 was the first year Arctic Cat came out with the rider forward sleds. I, just like others, will never go back to anything that is not rider forward.

Jimfsr-we all know that the four sled companies have all used each others ideas through the years. Ski-doo is not immune from using others ideas either. Any second UBEE will be on here with his cartoon of the guy spanking a dead horse.

whitedust

michaelbbbb: A lot of good posts here but boils down to Doo & Yam for RF 136 track sled on budget. Looks any Rev Renegade 04 & up would be a good sled for you & hand down to wife later. Forget 03 Rev had beavertail & not the best rev set up. Take a chance on doo rings & crank & 5000 miles seems to be burndown ballpark milage average so look for low miles. I would faver 800 engine more power to move that 136 track.

06 Yamaha Attack GT very nice RF sled with 150HP 4s stroke engine with under 5000 miles would be an excellent purchase for both you & wife. Only thing you would need to check or fix would be exhaust donuts every 5000 miles or so. Attack also has more relaxed RF position than rev.

Check both sleds for good tracks, shocks & wheels & you can install hyfax & carbides if needed. Doo & Yam both have bullet proof clutches but spin the track to check.

Doo Rev is in next Generation RF congiguration with XP but rev was a good handling sled too bad the engines had problems.

Yam still current with Attack RF congiguration & will hold its' value better than rev but more expensive than older rev but Attack more sled with EC ohlin on the fly suspension ajustment.

Sit on Rev & sit on Attack & see which feels better to you. I prefer Attack because I don't like having my knees jamed behind me.

I think you will spend $5000 or so for 06 cherry Attack GT & about the same for 06/07 Doo 800 X Renegade. Doo X package shocks = to Yam Attack clicker shocks. Only compare Doo X package shocks to Yam GYTR shocks with EC ohlin as both top of the line & what allows us old guys to beat rough trails.

Hopefully this helps sort things out but spend a little more now & stay with the sled as you planned. Also make sure you hand down the best sled you can to the wife so she can have a good time riding with you. Wife not happy you won't be happy either.
happy.gif