Gifts or perks for landowners

katden4

With the current loss of trail #2 in Michigan, and two or maybe even three in Mercer. My question is what do most of the clubs or the state offer up to landowners who allow all of us use of the trail on their property? I know my area, they usually do a dinner at the end of season for the owners who allow us. What about your club? Does anyone know if the state does anything for them? Reduction in property taxes? Maybe some form of tax break depending on how much land is crossed? What about identifying what land is private on the maps? Do you think the sh*t for brains with the loud can would still violate? Just a thought and curious, because this will never end, and only get worse in my opinion.

wisco-mb

We have 75 landowners that we take of in our club. We send them $25 gift certificates to a restaurant or bar. We switch the place up every year, but the businesses are typically on the trail, and sponsors of ours.
We used to do a appreciation dinner, but things got heated between neighbors. Some uncomfortable situation, so we ended that!

Nothing from a state level(WI).
On our county's website(DNR), you can turn the tax parcels on to see what is private. 95% of our trails are on private property. The other 5% is public, but anything outside the stakes would be trespassing. We are in central WI.
A new feature from Polaris ride command is being able to turn on a layer that shows public vs private. The rep from Polaris came and spoke about t at the AWSC workshop last weekend.

What trail losses in Mercer are you talking about?

ddhanna

We do both gift certs and a dinner here in Three Lakes. You have to be just a little careful in Wisconsin. WI Statute 895.52 (known as the "berry picking law") generally exempts landowners from liability when people are snowmobiling on their land. An exception to the law is if the landowner collects money or other things of value in excess of $500, the protections of the statute do not apply.

hermie

With the current loss of trail #2 in Michigan, and two or maybe even three in Mercer. My question is what do most of the clubs or the state offer up to landowners who allow all of us use of the trail on their property? I know my area, they usually do a dinner at the end of season for the owners who allow us. What about your club? Does anyone know if the state does anything for them? Reduction in property taxes? Maybe some form of tax break depending on how much land is crossed? What about identifying what land is private on the maps? Do you think the sh*t for brains with the loud can would still violate? Just a thought and curious, because this will never end, and only get worse in my opinion.
Unfortunately the people who are not going to stay on the trails or who runs can are the ones who don't belong to clubs. They don't do anything but buy there sleds, trucks & trailer and feel I can do what I want and look me on my new loud sled riding where ever I want. They just don't get what a privilege it is to be able to do what we do. They also don't understand that without these incredibly generous landowners all we could do is ride in a circle on the lakes if you could get to them. Seems like most clubs do the dinner appreciation.

pclark

At my old club in Waukesha County, we did gift certificates to a local grocery store for $50 to the landowners.

euphoric1

It's not just the poop for brains with loud cans doing the violating, it's really just the poop for brains! I'm sorry I don't remember the trail number, but it is the section of trail leading up to Gay Michigan that until recently had been closed for extended time, I think was 122? but they had larger and brightly colored "stay on trail" signs that I had seen elsewhere, and you still had people going off trail right ahead and after signs that there is no way you couldn't see or read, there is really no excuse for it and like everything else the few ruin it for the many. I have a question for those that think I can ride what I want, where I want and how I want... Would you be as receptive to the poop for brains with no respect for landowners or privacy if it was "Your" property??? I'm guessing the answer would always be "No"! so what gives you the right to do it on others??? and the survey says?..... crickets

pclark

It doesn't matter how many signs you put up or how the trail is marked. Example, we always marked with stakes at least 15 ft apart, one on each side of the trail. If you were outside the stakes you were trespassing or just being part of the problem. There was a reason that we marked that way in fields to keep them off the farmers property but in most fields they would cut the turn short and run across the field. It was very aggravating to the club members who spent all that time putting in the trails, the groomer who groomed between the stakes, and lastly, the landowners who were nice enough to put up with it or in some cases just said, "get it under control or we will shut the trail down".

None club members have no idea what it takes to get trails. To maintain them, to get insurance and more. I have been involved with a club in Northern IL. for over 40 yrs., Richmond Trailblazers. It gets tougher and tougher every year to get trails. Alot of the land owners have passed or sold property and some new land owners do not want sleds on their land. We are very blessed to have some farmers, former farmers and land owners in our club. It only takes a few goof balls to screw things up. Years ago we did a dinner dance and land owners were guests. Has owners got older they became less interested. We now have a summer picnic with another club "Spring Grove" in the late summer, for members and landowners. When we have snow our trails are well maintained. I have tried to show my sons the value of treating people by the Golden Rule. Without land owners there would be no trails. We use to have a saying on our maps that said "united we trail, Divided we fail." Think snow!!

pclark

None club members have no idea what it takes to get trails. To maintain them, to get insurance and more. I have been involved with a club in Northern IL. for over 40 yrs., Richmond Trailblazers. It gets tougher and tougher every year to get trails. Alot of the land owners have passed or sold property and some new land owners do not want sleds on their land. We are very blessed to have some farmers, former farmers and land owners in our club. It only takes a few goof balls to screw things up. Years ago we did a dinner dance and land owners were guests. Has owners got older they became less interested. We now have a summer picnic with another club "Spring Grove" in the late summer, for members and landowners. When we have snow our trails are well maintained. I have tried to show my sons the value of treating people by the Golden Rule. Without land owners there would be no trails. We use to have a saying on our maps that said "united we trail, Divided we fail." Think snow!!
Well said, Jakester

mspease

Every 3 years or so we send out $50 gift certificates that can be used at any of our business sponsors. We have about 80 landowners and we are in the process of sending them out before trails open.

mrbb

some of the clubs I have been part of, we typically give out gift cards to local businesses , be them restaurants, or gas stations, many of the clubs also extend offers to help land owners do work on there lands , from brush cleaning to other simple ways to be helpful to them
as a lot of the land owners we have worked with are now seniors and cannot do many things they used to, so they appreciate the offers and help , over just getting a gift card or likes!
we have also had member's that would bring them home made foods, ( home made Pies cakes, cookies , and assorted traditional holiday foods)which many again of the older land owners really seem to enjoy more than gift cards)

I know its not always possible or welcome, as these days, some folks are iffy on taking food from unknown folks,

but this has been a deal we do based on knowing certain land owners over the years! and what they like or prefer!, most when asked, will actually tell you , what they would rather, or at items, BOTH< pending how much trail they grant things, or also do for the clubs! !
knowing what some want more, really helps keep lands open IMO< as , when you invest time into getting to know land owners , you develop better relation ships, which keeps them open longer, or after miss hap's, as there more willing to work with you, after spending time together!, not always possible again, but worth doing when you can!
many older land owners are living alone and enjoy company!

as for marking maps, showing private lands, I think it wouldn;t hurt, but also, not sure it would do much to prevent things
the bigger issue, is many have NO clue where OPEN off trail riding is allowed, maybe them area's need to marked better on funded trail maps, to, maybe help others find them and not go off trail else where

but marking on maps is only half the deal, the area's them self need to be marked better maybe as well, ,. LARGER signs and such!

united

jakester23 said:
We use to have a saying on our maps that said "united we trail, Divided we fail."

Right thought, wrong state. United we trail...Divided we fail is Association of Wisconsin Snowmobile Clubs and on Wisconsin maps.

1667324019941.jpeg

hermie

some of the clubs I have been part of, we typically give out gift cards to local businesses , be them restaurants, or gas stations, many of the clubs also extend offers to help land owners do work on there lands , from brush cleaning to other simple ways to be helpful to them
as a lot of the land owners we have worked with are now seniors and cannot do many things they used to, so they appreciate the offers and help , over just getting a gift card or likes!
we have also had member's that would bring them home made foods, ( home made Pies cakes, cookies , and assorted traditional holiday foods)which many again of the older land owners really seem to enjoy more than gift cards)

I know its not always possible or welcome, as these days, some folks are iffy on taking food from unknown folks,

but this has been a deal we do based on knowing certain land owners over the years! and what they like or prefer!, most when asked, will actually tell you , what they would rather, or at items, BOTH< pending how much trail they grant things, or also do for the clubs! !
knowing what some want more, really helps keep lands open IMO< as , when you invest time into getting to know land owners , you develop better relation ships, which keeps them open longer, or after miss hap's, as there more willing to work with you, after spending time together!, not always possible again, but worth doing when you can!
many older land owners are living alone and enjoy company!

as for marking maps, showing private lands, I think it wouldn;t hurt, but also, not sure it would do much to prevent things
the bigger issue, is many have NO clue where OPEN off trail riding is allowed, maybe them area's need to marked better on funded trail maps, to, maybe help others find them and not go off trail else where

but marking on maps is only half the deal, the area's them self need to be marked better maybe as well, ,. LARGER signs and such!
Very impressive what you guys do. What a great way to form a relationship with the landowners. Instead of coming by in the fall and asking if ok to run the trail again this year then a dinner or something in the spring you actually get to know them and they get to know you. Just awesome great job.

mrbb

Very impressive what you guys do. What a great way to form a relationship with the landowners. Instead of coming by in the fall and asking if ok to run the trail again this year then a dinner or something in the spring you actually get to know them and they get to know you. Just awesome great job.
yeah one of the clubs is a private club, members only deal, NO state help at all
so, over the 20+ yrs now, a lot of time was spent with the same land owners to keep things alive
I also know giving land owners a opportunity, by inviting them to come and be part of meetings and or trail work days,
also goes a long way
as it sort of makes them feel a part of things, even if they do not use the trails they allow
I also know that offering land owners the use of trail cams and likes , also helps with keeping them happy
all the more so those that have had issues in the past
it makes them feel; like we are doing all we can to prevent before, and STOP things if they happen, and its not just words
I also think many just enjoy seeing the pictures HAha!

ddhanna

We do both gift certs and a dinner here in Three Lakes. You have to be just a little careful in Wisconsin. WI Statute 895.52 (known as the "berry picking law") generally exempts landowners from liability when people are snowmobiling on their land. An exception to the law is if the landowner collects money or other things of value in excess of $500, the protections of the statute do not apply.
Almost forgot, we also offer a free club membership if they want it.

katden4

Lots of great ideas on keeping the land owners happy! for the ones who don't realize it, they are letting us use their land 24 hrs a day, and basically getting a fresh pie or gift card. Which when you think about it, isn't even a tank of fuel in todays world. So next time you feel the urge to Braaap the throttle with your non stock pipe, or do a little off trail riding on private land, keep in mind they have the right to shut it down!

My favorite is asking if they could use a hand with anything on their property. I haven't heard of that one and I think its fantastic.

heckler56

I suspect there is ”red tape” issues with governmental agencies handing out $’s. Someone would scream it is a violation of fair practice with any gov entity unless the monies are requisitioned through a bid process.