Global warming

Upon returning from a 1,600 mile trail ride in the U.P. and parts of northern WI, the talk of all this "polar vortex" garbage is has compelled me to jot down some ideas about "global warming".
First of all, "global warming" and "ice ages" are nothing more than patterns and trends that repeat themselves over the passage of time. Don't believe me ....do some actual research and reading with real facts.
That being said....it was extremely hard for me to hold back on predicting the coming of the next ice age, while Al Gore was making millions on scaring everyone with "global warming" (and inventing the internet?)

Whats scary to me is all these people, that have all this time on their hands, that are freaking out over a so called "polar vortex" and how its the coldest of all time and all that....REALLY? Alot of these people are the same people that never get off the couch and do anything! Media scares, social media embellishes!

Last week was cold, we rode through it and have rode through it before and will ride through it again. Its Monday, it snowed, its gonna be cold again for Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday....hey if its too cold....stay inside! The weekend looks to be in the 30's and 40's. I remember me and my daughter leaving Two Harbors Minnesota during the last "polar vortex" it was -35 and it was cold, it was cold all week and this was just 5 years ago. Weather happens and will go up and down over the years thats life.

So if you want to ride, you gotta follow the snow, snow is the key, temperatures you can ride around, grooming you can find.

FOR THOSE THAT CARE TO TAKE NOTE:

THE U.P. OF MICHIGAN GOT ALOT OF SNOW OVER THE LAST WEEK. MOST ALL OF THE TRAILS (NORTH OF WATERSMEET) ARE GROOMED AND THE BEST I HAVE SEEN THEM IN YEARS. FROM THE WESTERN UP TO THE CENTRAL TO THE EAST.....NOW IS THE TIME TO RIDE!!

THANKS TO ALL THE GROOMING AUTHORITIES THAT MADE THAT 1,600 MILE TRIP FANTASTIC ACROSS THE WHOLE U.P.!

AREAS OF NOTE:

BARAGA CLUB HAS THAT TRAIL 8 EAST THE BEST EVER THROUGH TO ISHPHEMING!

MARQUETTE TRAILS WERE EXCELLENT

IRON RIVER- FIRST TIME I'VE SEEN "TRIPLE GROOMING" ON TRAIL 2E EVER!!!

Sledhead!

Yeah, I had some buddies riding this past weekend, snow looked awesome. Next trip is Feb 12, all I am hoping for is some fresh snow a little before, or while we are there. Makes it more fun in my opinion. I'm good to about -25, after that I will either shorten the loops or stay in.

xcr440

Not sure I can draw any global warming conclusions from a single snowmobile trip, but I did a similar thing last year - 9 days of riding and almost 1800 miles, New Richmond, WI to Baudette, MN and points in between, and the temperature got above zero for 2 total hours. Yes HOURS. Lots of guys riding the last couple weekends when temps were similar.

As you stated you just need to be prepared to chase the snow if you want to ride.

old abe

not sure i can draw any global warming conclusions from a single snowmobile trip, but i did a similar thing last year - 9 days of riding and almost 1800 miles, new richmond, wi to baudette, mn and points in between, and the temperature got above zero for 2 total hours. Yes hours. Lots of guys riding the last couple weekends when temps were similar.

As you stated you just need to be prepared to chase the snow if you want to ride.

ride on!

blkhwkbob

Yeah, I had some buddies riding this past weekend, snow looked awesome. Next trip is Feb 12, all I am hoping for is some fresh snow a little before, or while we are there. Makes it more fun in my opinion. I'm good to about -25, after that I will either shorten the loops or stay in.
If you had sled problems or an accident when it's -25, you're in some serious trouble. Sledding is neat and everything but there's no good reason to ride recreationally in those temperatures.

bearrassler

If you had sled problems or an accident when it's -25, you're in some serious trouble. Sledding is neat and everything but there's no good reason to ride recreationally in those temperatures.

Last I checked snowmobiling was a winter sport, it does get cold in the winter

yellorelic

I agree with your stance on global warming. For decades now, the weather terrorists have been telling untrue frightening stories of rapid impending doom. Al Gore has made millions and an Academy Award for his lies about cyclical weather. Any one of those talking heads, who claim to care about the common person, yet still jet around in their fleets of Learjets, are just empty words. The real shame comes in the billions of dollars, worldwide, that only the US has to provide, and we are the only nation held truly accountable. The Paris Accords were and are a complete sham, with 90% of the financial burden falling on our shoulders. Now, you have clueless newly elected Reps and Senators saying the world will end in 12 years if we don't go green ASAP. Just my 2 cents, but the lies are real, and your media is spreading them.

G

G

Next week we go to NW Wisc for a week. The forecast could not be more perfect. Hardly anybody rides if it gets below 10 degrees so the groomers will have a whole week to whip what is there in to shape for us. Honestly we have never in the history of snowmobiling had better equipment. The sleds themselves have never been more dependable. And they really fly when it gets cold just like they found anther gear. The clothing we have now is space age compared to just 10 years ago. Minus 25 is no reason to stay home for us. Usually when it is that cold there is no wind to deal with. Bonus. There are people that should not go out when it is 25. These are the people that think a catastrophe is when their phone buffers a video. They could not change a tire or jump start a vehicle to save their soul. If their GPS drops signal they are instantly lost. If they run out of avacodos they can't make toast. They could not even identify a real disaster let alone deal with it. The weather is and always has been the weather. It has not changed much if at all. Society on the other hand is not what it used to be.

blkhwkbob

There are also people who really enjoy riding but are not mechanically inclined at all. Like my friends. If we have a breakdown in my group, it's all on me to figure out the best resolution. Those temperatures put even more pressure on me. Everyone has their own situation to deal with. I agree that sleds are better today than ever, but they are still mechanical and they still break.

elf

There are also people who really enjoy riding but are not mechanically inclined at all. Like my friends. If we have a breakdown in my group, it's all on me to figure out the best resolution. Those temperatures put even more pressure on me. Everyone has their own situation to deal with. I agree that sleds are better today than ever, but they are still mechanical and they still break.

While I agree with what you are saying I think if you go out in these temps you just have to be smart. When my son and I rode Sunday it was -10 to -15. Instead of our usual boon docking style of riding we just rode trails (and a little boon docking right off the trails) but we never got more than 100 yds from a trail. So if we had an issue we could easily resolve it, whether that be double up and ride home, tow it home, etc... I did tell him before we left to ride on Sunday that if we have a breakdown we aren't even looking at it, we are hooking up a rope and heading out. Even in warmer weather when its just us there are spots I stay out of because its just the two of us. On saturday there was three of us but I still passed on a area because i would've wanted more people along in case of an issue. There's times my friends and I get into some crazy situations that take 4-5 people to resolve. So again, it comes to being smart about the conditions and avoiding unnecessary risks.

macker

Next week we go to NW Wisc for a week. The forecast could not be more perfect. Hardly anybody rides if it gets below 10 degrees so the groomers will have a whole week to whip what is there in to shape for us. Honestly we have never in the history of snowmobiling had better equipment. The sleds themselves have never been more dependable. And they really fly when it gets cold just like they found anther gear. The clothing we have now is space age compared to just 10 years ago. Minus 25 is no reason to stay home for us. Usually when it is that cold there is no wind to deal with. Bonus. There are people that should not go out when it is 25. These are the people that think a catastrophe is when their phone buffers a video. They could not change a tire or jump start a vehicle to save their soul. If their GPS drops signal they are instantly lost. If they run out of avacodos they can't make toast. They could not even identify a real disaster let alone deal with it. The weather is and always has been the weather. It has not changed much if at all. Society on the other hand is not what it used to be.

Well said.

xcr440

CBS took the opportunity to blame this COLD on 'Climate Change' this morning - at least they are starting to use the proper term.

blkhwkbob

For the record, when you are riding a snowmobile, you are basically creating a wind chill factor.

bearrassler

For the record, when you are riding a snowmobile, you are basically creating a wind chill factor.

I don't agree with that statement, when you are on a snowmobile it is blocking most of the wind, it also throws out a fair amount of heat from the engine compartment, and wind chill has to do with exposed skin, you really shouldn't have any exposed skin if you are riding in cold temperatures