Global warming

xcr440

I don't agree with that statement, when you are on a snowmobile it is blocking most of the wind, it also throws out a fair amount of heat from the engine compartment, and wind chill has to do with exposed skin, you really shouldn't have any exposed skin if you are riding in cold temperatures

The wind will cause the cold penetrate more quickly, but as stated here, it DOES NOT create wind chill riding a snowmobile (As long as you are properly covered, as I'm sure 99.999% of us are).

G

G

Your machine does block most of the wind. Extensive tests and studies have been done with windshields and windshield flares. However, Yes, if you are 6'4 you fall outside what is considered 'average height' for the average snowmobiler. You are going to catch wind with your head. I firmly believe that the older sit down sleds were warmer. There was more hood area and you sat lower. The newer sleds are a lot narrower and now even your knees get exposed sometimes. They even make flares to attach to the hood to divert oncoming wind for some models. The coldest I have ever been on a sled was when there was a strong side wind. That to me proves that whatever you have directly in front of you does actually do something to cut the wind.

bearrassler

The older sit down sleds did offer more protection mainly because they came with a real windshield, they also had wider hoods,
A strong crosswind is the worst, I have gotten frostbite a couple of times when I was out in open country and a strong crosswind picked up. If you have ever stopped when it is cold to fix something or stretch out a little you will find out you get a lot colder standing with no wind than riding your sled at higher speeds. That being said the first thing I will do on any new sled is to get the highest windshield available

G

G

The big race they have in Alaska - is it the Irondog???? Anyway if you look at those sleds they all have monster windshields on them. For obvious reasons.

renegade

The big race they have in Alaska - is it the Irondog???? Anyway if you look at those sleds they all have monster windshields on them. For obvious reasons.
I thought I read somewhere that a taller windshield is faster cause its better aerodynamics then hitting a rider straight on. Not sure if this is true, but it could be a win, win for this race.

next week we go to nw wisc for a week. The forecast could not be more perfect. Hardly anybody rides if it gets below 10 degrees so the groomers will have a whole week to whip what is there in to shape for us. Honestly we have never in the history of snowmobiling had better equipment. The sleds themselves have never been more dependable. And they really fly when it gets cold just like they found anther gear. The clothing we have now is space age compared to just 10 years ago. Minus 25 is no reason to stay home for us. Usually when it is that cold there is no wind to deal with. Bonus. There are people that should not go out when it is 25. These are the people that think a catastrophe is when their phone buffers a video. They could not change a tire or jump start a vehicle to save their soul. If their gps drops signal they are instantly lost. If they run out of avacodos they can't make toast. They could not even identify a real disaster let alone deal with it. The weather is and always has been the weather. It has not changed much if at all. Society on the other hand is not what it used to be.

bravo!!! "when **** freezes over.....we'll ride there too!"

gtojim

The only place open in Land O Last Thursday 1/31/19 was the Alley. I will be stopping there more often. they are welcoming snowmobilers with great signage. Black Oak , Bents , Brews all were closed due to weather conditions. We saw quite a few sledders at -10 looking for places to stop in and well... do what ever. I myself would have some Peach schnapps

bullett700

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Upon returning from a 1,600 mile trail ride in the U.P. and parts of northern WI, the talk of all this "polar vortex" garbage is has compelled me to jot down some ideas about "global warming".
First of all, "global warming" and "ice ages" are nothing more than patterns and trends that repeat themselves over the passage of time. Don't believe me ....do some actual research and reading with real facts.
That being said....it was extremely hard for me to hold back on predicting the coming of the next ice age, while Al Gore was making millions on scaring everyone with "global warming" (and inventing the internet?)

Whats scary to me is all these people, that have all this time on their hands, that are freaking out over a so called "polar vortex" and how its the coldest of all time and all that....REALLY? Alot of these people are the same people that never get off the couch and do anything! Media scares, social media embellishes!

Last week was cold, we rode through it and have rode through it before and will ride through it again. Its Monday, it snowed, its gonna be cold again for Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday....hey if its too cold....stay inside! The weekend looks to be in the 30's and 40's. I remember me and my daughter leaving Two Harbors Minnesota during the last "polar vortex" it was -35 and it was cold, it was cold all week and this was just 5 years ago. Weather happens and will go up and down over the years thats life.

So if you want to ride, you gotta follow the snow, snow is the key, temperatures you can ride around, grooming you can find.

FOR THOSE THAT CARE TO TAKE NOTE:

THE U.P. OF MICHIGAN GOT ALOT OF SNOW OVER THE LAST WEEK. MOST ALL OF THE TRAILS (NORTH OF WATERSMEET) ARE GROOMED AND THE BEST I HAVE SEEN THEM IN YEARS. FROM THE WESTERN UP TO THE CENTRAL TO THE EAST.....NOW IS THE TIME TO RIDE!!

THANKS TO ALL THE GROOMING AUTHORITIES THAT MADE THAT 1,600 MILE TRIP FANTASTIC ACROSS THE WHOLE U.P.!

AREAS OF NOTE:

BARAGA CLUB HAS THAT TRAIL 8 EAST THE BEST EVER THROUGH TO ISHPHEMING!

MARQUETTE TRAILS WERE EXCELLENT

IRON RIVER- FIRST TIME I'VE SEEN "TRIPLE GROOMING" ON TRAIL 2E EVER!!!

EXACTLY! Well Stated........

bullett700

I agree with your stance on global warming. For decades now, the weather terrorists have been telling untrue frightening stories of rapid impending doom. Al Gore has made millions and an Academy Award for his lies about cyclical weather. Any one of those talking heads, who claim to care about the common person, yet still jet around in their fleets of Learjets, are just empty words. The real shame comes in the billions of dollars, worldwide, that only the US has to provide, and we are the only nation held truly accountable. The Paris Accords were and are a complete sham, with 90% of the financial burden falling on our shoulders. Now, you have clueless newly elected Reps and Senators saying the world will end in 12 years if we don't go green ASAP. Just my 2 cents, but the lies are real, and your media is spreading them.

It is good to see some of us can't be fooled by the Global Warming Terrorists, who blame mankind for what they perceive as Global Warming/Climate Change......people should spend time learning about the weather history since man has been keeping records, instead of being sheep.....

Global warming report from a deck somewhere outside Land O' Lakes in da U.P. .....................................

looking out on my deck and seeing 5' of snow......most snow seen in 30+ years..EH! Seems to me da low has been around 0 or less for around a month....worried about maybe da septic freezing up........... its cold...its frickin cold.....look for the glacier..its on da way dere eh. also worried about how we're gonna make it to "Foggy's" with anudder 2' comin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!