Go Pro Mounting location?

Midnight Rider

What is your preferred location for mounting a Go Pro or other action camera? I have a Hero 3 Silver with multiple mounts and have begun experimenting with what locations give the best shots. Helmet top/side, hood facing forward, handlebars facing either direction, rear bumper filming your buddies? I carry the mounts in my backpack and will be moving it around on our upcoming trip in Watersmeet.

heckler56

What is your preferred location for mounting a Go Pro or other action camera? I have a Hero 3 Silver with multiple mounts and have begun experimenting with what locations give the best shots. Helmet top/side, hood facing forward, handlebars facing either direction, rear bumper filming your buddies? I carry the mounts in my backpack and will be moving it around on our upcoming trip in Watersmeet.

I mounted mine on the side of the helmet. I was told it will bounce a lot if you mount it to the sled. Your head is stable and you will see your sled bouncing around. The big question with your helmet is should it be,on the side or top. I choose the left side as branches can sneak up on you even on the trails and they will likely hit your right side and top of your helmet.

Good luck and enjoy making the videos. I caught some pretty good things this last week while riding in the UP.

cuzzinolaf

I put mine on the top of my helmet and it works great. Yea, you gotta watch for branches but it is easier to duck or tilt your head IMO.

xcr440

I have mine mounted on top, but I really liked the angle and the view it gave from a video Skylar did with it mounted on the side of his helmet. I'll be trying that my next time out......

Polarice

I thought about using my hero 2 on the helmet. Doesn't it just mount on with a sticky pad? It seems to me like that would give way riding sleds.

heckler56

I thought about using my hero 2 on the helmet. Doesn't it just mount on with a sticky pad? It seems to me like that would give way riding sleds.

I used the sticky pad. Put the sticky on in a warm house and let it sit for a week. Had it for two years and have comeplete confidence it will continue to hold.

T

Team Elkhorn

I like the riders point of view you get from mounting them on the side of the helmet. I mounted my Contour on the right side because my electric shield plug is on the left. Those sticky pads are pretty tough. I had to relocate the mount for a better angle and I had to pry off the old sticky pad with a plastic scraper, I fought it for quite awhile too. I'm not worried about it falling off.;)
View attachment 37915

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mines on the left side and gives a good view at eye level. On top would interfer with the visor on the Mod 2.

Midnight Rider

I would be interested in a pic or explanation of how you tether it?

Thanks!

Go Pro sells tethers, basically a second sticky pad with a tether cord that you attach to the camera. You can also just tie it to different things, but not a lot of locations on a helmet.

I have also seen coated fishing leaders used to make very good tethers.

Thank you for the responses so far, I think I will be putting the helmet mount on the left side like a bunch of you have suggested.

Has anyone used a chest harness?

Polarice

Sounds like the sticky pads hold up well. For a tether just use another sticky mount and the base mount and use a string. Sounds like 20 or 30 pound test would work for a string. Looking forward to getting some good vids.

clark_w

I have mine mounted to the handlebars and its surprising just how smooth the videos are. Its also easier to see if/when you have it on and off. Only downside is that I only get the straight ahead view and miss filming the side views.

CW

rws

Mounted mine on right side of helmet far enough ahead so helmet doesn't show up on video. In this location you can just see the red indicator light on back of camera to let you know if it is recording.

GoProHelmetMount2.jpg

GoProHelmetMount.jpg

cobraindy

Last year I got my Gopro stuck on a brach and it yanked me literately halfway off of my sled. The 3m adhesive is that strong.

cobraindy

Go Pro sells tethers, basically a second sticky pad with a tether cord that you attach to the camera. You can also just tie it to different things, but not a lot of locations on a helmet.

Thank you for the responses so far, I think I will be putting the helmet mount on the left side like a bunch of you have suggested.

Just got the chest. It works great if you take time aim it before a trip. At 1080 it is sensative. Eather too much snowmobile or no snowmobile. But once you figure that out it is a great perspective.

cobraindy

Just got the chest. It works great if you take time aim it before a trip. At 1080 it is sensative. Eather too much snowmobile or no snowmobile. But once you figure that out it is a great perspective.