Going west in early March

robgoggins

Hi all, my 18 year old son and I are heading west the first week of March, 2019 to do some snowmobiling. We have two sleds but they're short-track, designed for Midwest trail riding. I've been told we shouldn't use those sleds out west for the deeper snow. We've been riding (with guides and rented sleds) out west several times before - nothing too dramatic or dangerous. We've also been riding in the Midwest several times, but in general I would not call us "experienced riders". I would guess that we each have ~500 miles of snowmobiling experience.

In times past we've somehow found a rental place - probably a referral from the resort - we rent sleds for a day, go riding with a trusted guide leading us...and that's it. But for this trip I was thinking about renting sleds for the week and going without a guide. We have the Polaris ride app, so I'm assuming that would work as a bit of a self-guided tool? And I trust there are trail maps as well. In addition to riding we'd like to be close to some kind of decent town or two where we can get some decent food, maybe take in some music, etc. Doubt we'll go skiing/snowboarding this time around, but it's a possibility. Not sure yet if we'll drive out there on our own or fly and rent something out there (we have an F-150 V8 that can tow...a lot?, and a Mazda CX-9 that can tow up to 3,500#.) Anyway, looking to the group for advice on where to go, any rental places you can recommend and any other advice you can share. Thanks!

offpiste

Togwotee is an option, have everything you need and will pick you up at the airport. It's pretty expensive and there is no night life there however. I would for sure rent mountain sleds versus taking trail sleds. Some of the rental places will have avalanche gear for rent as well. Island park/west yellowstone would be another good option. Those 2 areas have everything you're looking for. If you just want to trail ride, then yes there are trail systems and maps available obviously. If you want to get off trail i would highly recommend hiring a guide as you stated you're not very experienced riders. The guide will make a huge difference and will also shorten your learning curve for off trail riding.

srt20

West Yellowstone sounds perfect for what you want to do. Get a good GPS and learn how to use it. You will be fine there.

snowho96

Another option to drive out to would be albany lodge in the snowy range or bear lodge in the big horns. Both have rentals or you could haul your own out. If they dont get dumped on while you are there your midwest sleds would work. Snowy range has a ski resort also.

snowho96

Another option to drive out to would be albany lodge in the snowy range or bear lodge in the big horns. Both have rentals or you could haul your own out. If they dont get dumped on while you are there your midwest sleds would work. Snowy range has a ski resort also.

I seen today that antelope Butte ski area is open this year in the big horns

ezra

alpine wy is also a great option . it us a actual town with bars food grocery store drug store etc etc hotels rental shops with all the brands . if you want to rent a turbo sled or bike Dan rents some of those at his,shop next level
you will pas it every time you head to trail head.if you really want to learn some skills book one of his riding clinics .trail head in in town you can run sleds all over town .the main trail out is well maintained and if you want some big meadows or crazy stuff to hit all a very short ride away.
prob with a lodge is well you ar e at a lodge stuck eating what they make. no real options for anything but what the lodge has .
there are some guides in town but if you are just planning on wandering around some of the more popular riding spots you really don't need one .

ezra

also if you guys are not real experienced think about the black hills great trails and lots of open meadow stuff to play in a boat load of no maint roads to run hills to climb and a solid 9 to 12 hrs shorter drive .trailshead lodge or the other end recreational springs if you want to be close to deadwood .
and you can deff bring your sleds and not even have to buy trail stickers . if you want to rent some long tracks for a day or 2 they are available at lodges and in town

also I see you are in EP
think about checking out our club we have a few western riding guys
http://www.mpsnomads.com/

woodside

Our group of 10, including the ladies, do an annual trip. We are doing the UP once again in Feb.

Last year we trailered out to the Black Hills and stayed out of Trailshead Lodge. Great week of riding and off trail options available as ezra stated, depending on conditions. The trail system in the BH's is the best I have seen. We will probably return next Winter and stay out of Spearfish Canyon.

Our gang flew out to SLC to Beaver Creek Lodge in NE Utah 2015 & 16 and that was the ultimate in riding. Lots of riding options depending on your skill level. Many meadows and lots of elementary hill climbing adjacent to the groomed trails. They have a fantastic all inclusive package including current sleds, KLIM gear, great food and guide service available. I think its reasonably priced, same with airfare. No guide needed if you stay close to the trails. Bryan will take good care of you. http://www.beavercreeklodge.com/

robgoggins

Thanks everyone - really appreciate the help. I hadn't even considered the Black Hills for an early March ride...didn't think they would have that much snow. I'll keep that option in mind as it would be a reasonable drive and would allow us to use our own sleds.

MATTR

Black Hills is a great choice. Our group was there last season early march and found a ton of snow. Trail system and grooming is second to none. You will not be disappointed. Spearfish Canyon was also a great place to stay