Goose(s)

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
The unit you link to is $354 on Amazon. It sounds like they work. Also, I could rent you our dog....she'll chase geese all day and half the night. No charge for squirrels and rabbits.;) Good luck, hope you find a solution.

eagle1

2 tricks I've heard of is white Swan decoys but they need to be moved often. The other is for on land...grape Kool aid. Supposedly upsets there stomach when they eat grass and don't comeback . Just what I heard anyways

dfattack

I have a goose problem too. When they stop over they lay down a mine field of crap. It's so annoying. Gonna follow this thread and see what people have to say. I would love to find something that works.

jr37

Somewhat related, but not. If more than 1 goose is called geese. Why isn't more than 1 moose called meese? 🤔

Sweep800

The unit you link to is $354 on Amazon. It sounds like they work. Also, I could rent you our dog....she'll chase geese all day and half the night. No charge for squirrels and rabbits.;) Good luck, hope you find a solution.
Ha, my dog would love chasing them away as well but unfortunately I’m not up there all the time. But thanks lol

JeffB

1722862315106.png
The dog works, but unfortunately that is short lived too. And she's a trained killer! After 7 years of dealing with them, she is unphased. Coyote decoys work for a couple days, Swans, Owls, Hawks, all the same. Even moving them around they eventually get used to them. Only thing I have had success with is leaving your shoreline grass long. Like a one foot wide strip uncut all year. They don't like going through the tall grass and instead of flying over it, they just seek out the next nicest neighbor lawn. The Geese Away link provided says it only works on night time geese. Which I've never had a problem with because you are home. Its the day time they meander the yard and trash it in quick hurry doing what geese do. Sh!t like a goose!

whitedust

I run a hawk kite 24/7haven’t had geese all year this year. Couple of wood ducks unfazed laid an egg on my son-in-law’s barge.

pacer

I have one. they dont work. We string a rope along our shoreline and tie 2" shiny foil tape about every 4' along the string line and that keeps them away.

pclark

I have seen some 2ft high mesh netting that blends in nicely and seems to keep the geese out. If I had that problem I would go that route, I think a lot of those gimmicks probably aren’t worth it.

dfattack

I have seen some 2ft high mesh netting that blends in nicely and seems to keep the geese out. If I had that problem I would go that route, I think a lot of those gimmicks probably aren’t worth it.
so like deer netting/screen? makes sense. I should try that. I'm just lazy and don't want to get any stakes and netting and cut to size and who knows how far down the shoreline you have to go?

pclark

so like deer netting/screen? makes sense. I should try that. I'm just lazy and don't want to get any stakes and netting and cut to size and who knows how far down the shoreline you have to go?
Darren, in the fence I saw it looked like it was made specifically for geese on a shoreline. It was a very nice home, nice shoreline with a pristine lawn. I know the people who own it and they had someone install it. Sometimes I think having a lawn right by the water is an invitation to those creatures. I’m lucky that my shoreline is all rock and a 4-5ft bank that keeps them away.

dfattack

Darren, in the fence I saw it looked like it was made specifically for geese on a shoreline. It was a very nice home, nice shoreline with a pristine lawn. I know the people who own it and they had someone install it. Sometimes I think having a lawn right by the water is an invitation to those creatures. I’m lucky that my shoreline is all rock and a 4-5ft bank that keeps them away.
Thank you

lofsfire

I have to say my new tractor is much faster than the old one... I was out mowing 2 weeks ago and I was up in the front yard as I came back to the back yard I saw about 25 geese in the far corner from where I was I just continued mowing but as I approached they started paying attention then I speed up and chased those dam things out of the yard. They split into two groups one going towards the house other to the lake. As I came back at them and spit that group in two again. Then they finally flew away... They have not been back since... I figure a few more times of that might be effective. otherwise, I have not had much success with anything else.

dwz

Laser pointers work great but they don’t see the green light if it’s sunny outside, but at dawn or dusk or cloudy skies they don’t like it and run or fly. They cost about 25 bucks

dfattack

there should be open season on geese all the time. kinda like wild hogs and even pythons in florida. Absolute nuisance. Have to throw deer into that group too. I spend half my summer spraying the horrible smelling liquid fence on the landscaping and flowers so they don't eat them. I have more deer than squirrels. When I was a kid we would go driving around after dinner to look for them. Now they are in our yard all day long. This year mom and two fawns. fawns are afraid of us to some extent but the mother, not even a little. Can almost walk up to her and pet her. so annoying. :geek:

whitedust

there should be open season on geese all the time. kinda like wild hogs and even pythons in florida. Absolute nuisance. Have to throw deer into that group too. I spend half my summer spraying the horrible smelling liquid fence on the landscaping and flowers so they don't eat them. I have more deer than squirrels. When I was a kid we would go driving around after dinner to look for them. Now they are in our yard all day long. This year mom and two fawns. fawns are afraid of us to some extent but the mother, not even a little. Can almost walk up to her and pet her. so annoying. :geek:
Deer got that way for us to ate all of Ingrid’s flowers so I bought a slingshot started plunking them in the hindquarters shouting out them and they left came back less frequently. Dogs work great for deer my daughters labs were always up for a chase.