GPS for the UP

M10

1st time asking a question so be nice! Any advice for the best available sled mounted system for riding in the UP?

3ddirt

M10,I run a Garmin Nuvi 500 with the map chip from
Ryan at Redpinemapping.com . The Garmin is waterproof and has a pretty good screen size.I did have to hard-wire mine to the sled to eliminate battery life issues in the cold.I have Mn,Wi and Mi
maps loaded onto one chip and they work great
Dann

M10

Dan
Thanks for the reply, I will look into that. I have a 2011 Vector LTX with a power point that I can unplug (if I remember) so it should'nt be an issue for the battery.

whitedust

Just don't leave it on the sled or will be gone in a New York Nanosecond! Sometimes better to just have cheap GPS from car in your pocket for location checks in backwoods. I have Garmin but only use it for top end speed checks otherwise use compass for deadreckoning & always find my way back home to my wife's disappointment.:)

switch07

I was looking at buying a GPS for my sled but after I downloaded the Polaris Snow Trails app for free on my Iphone I decided I will try it first. When I came up to Greenland in September for the trail work session I mapped our route and tried it out. You can zoom in and see the names of roads, press a button for services in the area, food, gas, lodging, and polaris dealers. The funded trails are all shown in red and it shows your exact location. It does eat the battery when you have the location service turned on on the phone, so I bought the small windshield bag for the Rush and I will just leave the
phone plugged in when riding. Check it out if you happen to have a smartphone.

snowhawg

M10,I run a Garmin Nuvi 500 with the map chip from
Ryan at Redpinemapping.com . The Garmin is waterproof and has a pretty good screen size.I did have to hard-wire mine to the sled to eliminate battery life issues in the cold.I have Mn,Wi and Mi
maps loaded onto one chip and they work great
Dann

Ditto on the Redpinemapping.com trail maps. I've got both Wisconsin ND Michigan on an SD card for my Garmin Zumo and they work fine.

M10

Thanks guys, I loaded the Polaris app and it looks great even for our local podunk ditches around here in eastern Iowa. Look forward to checking the Garmin as well
Thanks

local897

I run a Nuvi 500 as well and love it but I us VVmapping. Mounted with a ram mount strong hard wired a plug under the hood and keep the cord hooked up all year. I ride all off trail and have had this over on its lid packed with snow and she is still good to go. Here is some pics of my old set up on my rev I cant find my XP set up right now. Any questions pm me I will answer them to the best my ability.

Attachments

• 800 HO 001.jpg
    800 HO 001.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 114
  • 800 HO 006.jpg
    800 HO 006.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 103

Polarice

I have a Garmin Zumo 220. It's waterproof and came with a mount that goes right on the handlebars. Since you have a battery on your sled you can hook it right up. My sled doesn't so I had to buy an adapter from Polaris. The GPS is around $400. I also have the redpinemapping chip. I don't recommend that. It was way off on a number of trails in the UP. Now they're offering discounts and even will pay for trail updates because they suck. Just mo.

cuzzinolaf

I run a cheap Garmin eTrex (non-color) on a Ram mount. I replace the AA Lithium batteries every 3-4 trips and am not scared if it breaks or fall off because it was $75. I have all of the western UP trail maps on it as well as all the spots I have marked over the years.

squarepants2

Get a ram mount and install a 12 volt plug in. You can easily take it off sled. Look at ram mount at gps cit.y.com.There is a cradle for nuvi 500 and various mount options. The handle bar mount works great. That is what I have on my polaris assault. Good Luck

chadlyt

I've got a Garmin gpsmap 60csx with a RAM mount on my X-Fire. I use Red Pine maps also. Works great for me. My problem was the batteries froze and died quickly until i switched to Lithium batteries.

Yooper_Bob

I use a Garmin GPSMap 60 series as well, and it works excellent. I have topographical maps loaded.

My unit is almost 10 years old now, and has held up to summertime dust/rain/mud on my dualsport, and wintertime snow/ice/cold. I use some high quality rechargable Ni-MH batteries, and they easily last 10-12 hours in the coldest temps.

The only drawback to running batteries, is the unit does not stay backlit when on batteries. Not a problem for me, since I ride very little at night. You can hardwire the unit to your sled/bike, and then it will stay backlit while the unit is on.

I also use a RAM mount.

Hoosier

I use a Garmin GPSMap 60 series as well, and it works excellent. I have topographical maps loaded.

My unit is almost 10 years old now, and has held up to summertime dust/rain/mud on my dualsport, and wintertime snow/ice/cold. I use some high quality rechargable Ni-MH batteries, and they easily last 10-12 hours in the coldest temps.

The only drawback to running batteries, is the unit does not stay backlit when on batteries. Not a problem for me, since I ride very little at night. You can hardwire the unit to your sled/bike, and then it will stay backlit while the unit is on.

I also use a RAM mount.

I also use the 60 (csx). I buy the AA lithium batteries for it. They last a couple days, and I turn the backlight on full whenever we are out, day or night. I think it helps keep the unit warm. The 60 works great for me, although I think it is not made anymore.

chadlyt

I keep the backlight on mine also. The 60CSX is a rugged son of a gun too. I've dropped mine in puddles and it takes a beating on the sled too. The problem, they arent made anymore, but they sure do keep the resale value.

sleddeva

I run a cheap Garmin eTrex (non-color) on a Ram mount. I replace the AA Lithium batteries every 3-4 trips and am not scared if it breaks or fall off because it was $75. I have all of the western UP trail maps on it as well as all the spots I have marked over the years.

HI Cuzz...
This sounds like the exact unit that I got my hubby a few years ago. He has never used it for snowmobilling. Where did you get your trail maps from and do your batteries last for a full 8 to 9 hour day of riding? I was thinking about getting him a new one for x-mas, but if we can still get trail maps for old reliable then what the heck! Have you used it in the U.P. and if so, have you ever had a problem with signal?