GPS for the UP

marebal

I have a 60csx for sale with the topo maps if anyone is interested, also comes with tour-tec mount, ram swivel and 12v plug, like new, still have box.

marty700

I use an eTrex Vista Cx (color) with the old Roads & Recreation database and the WI and MI trails (from Redline Mapping) loaded in. I have been using this setup for about 8 years now and I'm reluctant to change because I have lots of my own way-points and other info stored. I have the unit hard bracketed to the instrument cluster and hard-wired for power (installed power adapter inside the instrument dashboard). I was really eating the batteries, but not now. The screen is a little small, but it works fine enough for me.

cuzzinolaf

HI Cuzz...
This sounds like the exact unit that I got my hubby a few years ago. He has never used it for snowmobilling. Where did you get your trail maps from and do your batteries last for a full 8 to 9 hour day of riding? I was thinking about getting him a new one for x-mas, but if we can still get trail maps for old reliable then what the heck! Have you used it in the U.P. and if so, have you ever had a problem with signal?

I'm not really sure where I got the maps for the UP. I know they were free and I think I got them off of a website based out of MN. I use Energizer Lithium AA batteries and they usually last me a few trips. One thing I do is wrap them in one layer (can't be more) of duct tape to keep them tight so they don't lose connection and shut the unit down. No problems with signal ever on my Ram mount on my handlebars. A lot of people I know have nicer setups but I have everything I need and mark waypoints as I find good areas.

I downloaded 'Polaris Snow Trails' ap on my phone, free.
The maps look very close to acurate. In addition to the map, there is fuel, lodging, restaurants, and weather maps.