GPS on sleds

just_ride

looking to see who uses GPS on your sleds?
what brands..... is one better than the other?
pros and cons
I mainly ride trails
Looking to buy a 7 inch Garmin GPS with Midwest trail maps already loaded on it
thanks

POLARISDAN

pros and cons
I mainly ride trails
thanks

got one built into my sled..never have used it..still use da map

old abe

pros and cons
I mainly ride trails
thanks

Good choice! I had a Garmin Montana since 14, and you can do anything with it. I would like the new ones though. Better screen, and contrast adjustments.

G

G

got one built into my sled..never have used it..still use da map

Call me old fashioned but I still like to have a paper map. GPS has gotten me in trouble before on the interstate highway system. If they can't even get that right I am not going to trust a sled trail system. Besides most of us have a phone app that will help in a pinch.

wisco-mb

I use a Garmin Drive 60LM, VV mapping and RAM Mount Universal X-Grip IV Cradle.
Last season was first year I used it. Worked great!
I siliconed the edges to make it waterproof.
I use a aftermarket USB cable. Issue with factory Garmin cable is GPS thinks it's in USB file transfer mode.

I use this, even on local rides to track mileage. You can import the data into Garmin BaseCamp and look at your route. Pretty cool feature. You can even use Basecamp to plot out trips.
You can even import that data into Google Earth and look at your rides! Lot better than looking at it in Basecamp!

2 very small issues.
1 - When stopped at Idle, it is hard to zoom in/out or look stuff up due to the Polaris 800 HO AXYS motor. This is due to motor, just vibrates like crazy! I have to remove it from cradle with power cord attached, and then search.
2 - I wish there was an external zoom in/out switch. When trail riding, it is usually somewhat zoomed in. I would like to zoom out and see how further to go. Very small complaint though!

IMG_20181124_115542720.jpg

fireworks

I 2nd Montana. Nice to have topo capabilities. Bigger screen would be nice. But have learned to keep my eyes on the landmarks, surroundings etc to learn areas and use to track back.

snowfish

Garmin Montana with amps rugged mount.

Easy on, easy off, daylight viewable screen, very cold weather friendly, simple to use.
Cheap out on you navigational devise and you'll pay in other areas.
Like the unit going dead in the cold, or no being able to see it in direct, or semi direct sunlight.
Garmin Montana is worth every penny.

just_ride

hey
thanks for all the info....I too like the good o maps
new sled does not have a map bag made for it and looking for something different
I have Garmin GPS in car, but still prefer to look at map so I can see where I'm at on the map
pulled trigger on Garmin....but still will carry my maps

ICT Sledder

The car-based Garmins are user-friendly, but really aren’t ideal for outdoor, exposed use. Can make them work, but...

The Garmin stuff made specifically for outdoor use (Montana, Oregon, and a whole bunch of other models historically) work great in those conditions, but are really not user-friendly when it comes to software/maps/routing. Garmin’s software you use today on a computer to communicate with the GPS (Basecamp) is better than the old software (MapSource) but both leave a lot to be desired if you aren’t a hardcore GPS enthusiast playing with them everyday. Steep learning curve.

Interceptor

Garmin Montana 650t with mount (keeps it charged. Also loaded with VV mapping of trails in WI and UP. Kept me from getting lost many times and probably saved my life in a whiteout on Lake Gogebic!

Tomg

Garmin Montana mounted on the Doo glove box extension and mount kit. VM mapping SD card for northern midwest. It's nice to assist with trail navigation but not really necessary. However I really like the fact that the VM mapping data includes the forest roads. Also I got myself really twisted around in the Kingston plains last year and it made getting back on track much easier. I still carry a paper map but reference it less.

lak7

Garmin Nuvi 500 & cheap Nuvi 255.
Using cheap outdoor mounts / enclosures.
If needed, I use a hot-hands to keep from freezing.
Almost every lace I ride is new to me

wisco-mb

Garmin Montana 650t with mount (keeps it charged. Also loaded with VV mapping of trails in WI and UP. Kept me from getting lost many times and probably saved my life in a whiteout on Lake Gogebic!

The lake running in white out conditions can be little tense. Like to avoid them but sometimes not an option! This is one huge advantage with gps. Especially general lake running at night.

lofsfire

Here's my setup the case of the it's in can be a pain when using the touch screen but it does work. It's a RAM mount ball but I picked up off of Amazon. The case was a water resistance I got off of Amazon as well. I've been very happy with it and I've never had any problem with it freezing. But I've got it hardwired so there really shouldn't be an issue.

Wisco-mb I thought about using the same RAM Mount Universal X-Grip IV Cradle, what was worried with all the bumps on the trail it would fly off. Do you have a safety tether or anything?
Screenshot_20191119-065945.jpg
Screenshot_20191119-070257.jpg
Screenshot_20191119-070310.jpg

wisco-mb

Wisco-mb I thought about using the same RAM Mount Universal X-Grip IV Cradle, what was worried with all the bumps on the trail it would fly off. Do you have a safety tether or anything?

The Universal X-Grip IV Cradle did come with a tether. I used it the first ride, but found it to be one extra step when plugging it back onto sled after pitstops.
No issues last year. 2000 miles with no tether. Those 4 grips on the cradle hold it very well.

longtrack

we use Garmin Handheld with Radios and vv so we can locate riders out west and talk if someone has issues and falls back.