GPS System?

rozzy43

I'm sure this subject has been asked before, but who uses a GPS mounted on their sled, what's a good brand? are the Trail Apps worth a dime? ect......

..... using my phone a better option? or just stick to the printed maps?

latner

Garmin works well if you want it on the sled. I've gone to using my phone with the Polaris RiderX app. Just have to keep the phone in a pocket to keep it warm so the battery won't die.

- - - Updated - - -

...and I always have old school maps just in case.

heitz66

I use VV Mapping with my Garmin mounted to my sled it works great never an issue. Once you map out the routes you want to take it will show you turn by turn and how many miles to the next trail. it will also show you the trails twist and turns as you ride which is also helpful. Also if I ever have any questions when you call I believe his name is Jermey usually answers or calls you back. When you get used to using the GPS it becomes your best friend. It has never let me down

clark_w

I agree with Garmin Montana and VV Mapping, its a great combo, and another nice perk is that VV Mapping also has UTV maps so when we come up in the summer, we move the Garmin to the General and away we go. The Garmin is made for the outdoors and the quick attach mount that is hard wired to vehicle you don't have to worry about batteries.

snoden

VV mapping for me as well, Jeremy has it dialed in. I mounted a Garmin 2797 LMT using a ram mount onto the risers, made my own bracket to make it work. I like the 7" screen vs. the smaller Montana screens. You can make any GPS water proof just by using clear silicone caulk around the screen and hard case and a good tape over the speaker. The best part is its less than half the cost of the Montana. I have $300 bucks invested in the entire set up.

ICT Sledder

Garmin is pretty much the only game in town.

Some guys do use the units made for car use, but you can have issues with weatherproofing the unit (obviously some ways to deal with that), the direct sunlight washing out the screen (car units have weaker displays), touchscreen problems with gloves on (they work like a smart phone), and software since it is loaded up with stuff for use primarily on the road. The upside is they are really cheap.

Then there's the outdoorsey type units like the Oregon/Montana, and the GPSMAP 64. The latter has been around forever in various iterations, and is probably the most common unit in use in the ORV world. The downside to these sort of units is the learning curve with the software - both on the unit, and on your computer (basecamp or mapsource). They are not user friendly at all. If you don't have any interest in really sitting down and learning how they and their software work, they can end up being just a $250-$500 paperweight. Upside is they are weatherproof, have actual buttons that can be operated with gloves on, and screens that are meant to be used in direct sunlight. You can actually use them just fine on a bright day with the screen backlight off. You also need to buy the software to put on them, or they are just track lines on a screen.

There are also motorcycle-based units that kind of bridge the gap functionally and in build design between the above two, but they can be silly expensive. Not sure I've ever heard of them being used on a sled, but there's no reason why you couldn't. They would have the screen for use in direct sunlight, weatherproof, and a touchscreen that works via pressure so that they work with gloves. These have road/street software on them too, like the first one up above.

I have one of each of these types of GPS. The first one on the list never comes out anymore because it has been replaced by a smartphone; the second one is nice when I'm out and away from civilization on a sled, dirt bike, or hiking, and it (and it's software) and I have made friends; the last one works great within the considerations and limitations while riding a street bike.

fishcrib

I use the Garmin Nuvi with VV mapping.

You can buy a waterproof motorcycle mount to protect it. Just google it and you can find it.

That's what I use and works good.

Clintondf

I run a garmin zumo with hardwired charging dock mounted on a lake effect handlebar riser with ram mounts. Run vv mapping and have for about 5 years or so. I used to run nuvi’s powered through the 12v accessory port. It worked ok but i have found the zumo to be the best most durable setup i have had. Zero issues.

sjb

I have a Garmin Nuvi with mapping that I don't use is anyone is interested. Have a mount (think it is a RAM) with a weatherproof case, and 12 volt plug in powercord for a plug in play package. Would sell for $100 if someone wants to try this option with low cost.

I use the a Garmin eTrex mounted to the handle bar. I bought and downloaded Michigan trail maps from an advertiser here on the site (can't remember the name and I have not seen his ads lately), but his product works great, I always know exactly where we're at on the trail. I cant speak to other brands, but with Garmin you can use several overlays at the same time. I use a satellite picture overlay and the trail map overlay so I can see various features. Also, a quick tip, I always keep the screen orientation set to north always being at the top of screen as opposed to the direction your heading at the top of the screen, it's much less confusing.

snake

had a garmin nuvi 65lm not being used,so its going on sled. already put vv mapping on it. my question....I'm trying to find a waterproof bag/case ect with see thru screen but I cannot seem to find one big enough for the 65. I've tried ram and several other sources. it looks like its going to be the ram cradle mount with a clear bag over it...unless anyone knows of a supplier of large cases?? thanks in adv.!!!

blkhwkbob

I screwed around with a couple of mounts for my Nuvi and then realized that the short suction cup sticks really well to the backside of my Skidoo windshield. Think it will stay?

heitz66

had a garmin nuvi 65lm not being used,so its going on sled. already put vv mapping on it. my question....I'm trying to find a waterproof bag/case ect with see thru screen but I cannot seem to find one big enough for the 65. I've tried ram and several other sources. it looks like its going to be the ram cradle mount with a clear bag over it...unless anyone knows of a supplier of large cases?? thanks in adv.!!!

Try this site it is where I bought my waterproof case for my Nuvi 65. You can call him also he is very helpful

http://www.trailsystems.com/

ICT Sledder

I screwed around with a couple of mounts for my Nuvi and then realized that the short suction cup sticks really well to the backside of my Skidoo windshield. Think it will stay?

Really unlikely.

I have the heavy duty RAM suction cup. The one about 3” in diameter with a cam lock (of sorts). In normal conditions the thing has an insane vacuum on whatever it’s mounted to. Tried it on the sled but the cold weather makes the rubber rigid, and the crazy impacts and bounces from riding anything but a freshly groomed trail, make it worthless.