GPS trail maps

pauly

Last year I searched for some decent GPS trail maps. I didn't mind paying for them.. if they were complete.. and worked decent. Didn't find anything but one website that hadn't been updated in over 6 months.. and the maps looked incomplete..
So, I tried the free thing... got what I paid for.. a moving image of some to most of the trails..Neat.. but I was hoping for more.

Anyway, I started searching 2 nights ago..found this: www.sledgps.com
Complete trail maps.. Searchable POI's, Turn by turn directions (Coming next month)
I think they are the real deal.. $50.. plug in the MicroSD card.. and go sledding.. never carry a paper map again. I was told $10 will get you yearly updates on a NEW SD card sent to you.
I would think they would have a cheaper, or maybe even free downloadable version..this is just my thought though.

To top this all off.. CUSTOMER SERVICE. I filled out an online contact us form at 9 P.M. CST last night asking 3 questions.
Within 20 minutes, I had the answers from the CEO of Mountain Dyanamics. So I wrote couple more questions.. now 9:45.. got the response in less than 5 minutes.
I thought WOW,, that is awesome... probably a guy starting his own company burning the midnight oil....

NOPE...Check this link.. These companies behind this combined forces and already have Garmin supporting them.

More info on the SledGPS company here:
http://www.gpscity.com/mountain-dynamics.html

If you want to get on the turn by turn latest software notification list.. go to http://www.sledgps.com/tell.php?id=57&us=y
and write them asking.

I know as soon as the new software is available, I am buying.

If any of you have purchased this, please comment on the maps.

paul

uncle_ed

Pauly
What is it exactly that sledgps has to offer that gpssledmaps does not? I have used their maps and find them dead on accurate and easy to use. I know the maps only overlay on top of my existing basemap and my garmin can not be used to navigate the trails. I have to do that on my own. Will I be able to interface my garmin with these maps and choose to navigate a trail? If so that would be great! BTW I still always carry a paper map just in case something should happen to my gps.

I agree with uncle ed! I have used the free version and bought the upgraded one from "gpssledmaps" and both are great. The free download is really all one needs, but I find the premium version easier to use. Not to mention its cheaper than gpscity at only $40. And i saw on gpssledmaps website last week that they are offering a 20% discount for preseason sales. The biggest + for me is they offer maps for Lowrance and the other guy doesn't. Those are just my experiences as i have never used the other guys product, take it for what it's worth.

pauly

As I understand it.. there is no overlay.. the maps will be just like road maps... Just use them.. Turn by turn on trails.. and you can use it to navigate the trails... as you do in your car.
I could be mistaken.. but it sounds like soon, he will have this..
I agree with you Uncle Ed.. this WOULD be awesome, thus my excitment...

Here is the actual question and answer, I got from the CEO of the Company:

Q: To confirm.. these maps will work like the road maps.. I can pick a destination (say a POI) and it will tell me what snowmobile trails to take to get there?

A. Not quite. Currently the maps do not have this "turn by turn" feature, but an update the first week of December will. I have put you on the notify list.

Pauly

pauly

More Questions from me to Marcus - (President of www.sledgps.com )

Question:
After Dec. updates...
Will the map tell me how many miles to destination? (I don't expect it to tell me time of arrival)
Answer:
It's probably fair to say that they might depend on your GPS. If the GPS would show that for a route over normal streets then yes it will for the sled trails too. Some GPSes (more the "outdoors" models) only show the turns and make it hard or not possible to see the overall stats for the route, while others (like the nuvis) can show you more about the route.

Question:
Will the maps have a highlighted line over trail to follow (like in road maps)?

Answer:
Yes.

pauly

TTT
If your GPS guy.. I thought I would bring this to the top, so my last posts can be seen..
As far as I am concerned.. this is what I have been looking for.

Hoosier

I'm also looking for gps maps for this season...anyone have any thoughts on gpssledmaps.com vs. sledgps.com?

I bought a 60 csx at the end of the season last year and never got the maps installed. I've never used either of the above so I'd appreciate any advice.

I primarily ride in Wisconsin and Michigan, so the paid price for these would be similar, although gpssledmaps.com offers free versions as well.

mn_snowman

These maps look great! I'm ready to chuck the paper maps and upgrade to a GPS this winter. What GPS make/model would you guys recommend works best for sledding? Thanks for any input.

polarisrider1

The continuing saga. dopp, you want cheap? or value? There is a difference. Cheap breaks on you when you need it the most. Cheap is a compass out of a Cracker Jack box. Cheap is what you throw at a tree after wandering around for hours lost in the dark and it's well below zero. And...... What is this economics class.

sledzeppelin

Whenever people ask, I recommend Garmin. Here are some models in particular, with pros and cons:

Nuvi 500 - Beautiful high-res screen, great for use in the car (comes with road map). Touch screen. But it needs to be powered off your sled and isn't great for recording tracklogs.

Legend HCx - Best bang for the buck in a handheld unit. Lasts a long time on regular AA batteries, so it's not necessary to wire it to your sled. Good for recording tracklogs. Low-res screen that doesn't look as nice.

60CSx - Similar to the Legend HCx, but a little bigger screen, better button configuration, and faster.

There's also the newer line that are named after states (Oregon, Colorado, Dakota) that look great but for some reason don't seem to be used much by snowmobilers. They're handheld units, but feature a Nuvi-style touchscreen. They're a bit more pricey, but look good.

I just put new versions of my Michigan and New York maps, and a brand new Maine map up at redpinemapping.com (the GPS Sled Maps store). They have lots of trail updates, much better road coverage, business waypoints, and they're now routable! The other states will be updated very soon.

rpm

I just got my Nuvi 500. I have an 09 Dragon. I was wondering what ram mount do people use to install it on the sled?

fatdaddy

I just got a garmin etrex vista HCX do i need to purchase the mini chip or can i just download the maps, actually I just ordered the garmin today. Should i wait to see it they update the maps for this year.

phazerpilot

fat daddy i've got a garmin etrex legend cx and i was able to just download right to the unit no mini chip so you should be able too with that model.

polarisrider1

rpm, I used the suction cup mount, shortened it as far as I could by removing swivel part. stuck with 2 sided tape then drilled self taping screws thru the suction base and into dash. I will post pic. (they are on my other computer).

polarisrider1

121213.jpg

dopp

last year i lost my digital compas so i could also loose my gps. so cheep is good.
i have an 800 series garmin, works great but at
$4oo i dont want to take the chance of loosing it.
so i thought a cheep garmin that will run the trail maps would be great.